Tire Pressure Warning Light On - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Tire Pressure Warning Light On

When repairing my damage fender, the body shop had to remove the back tires off my Compass. That caused the tire pressure warnng light to go on. The bodyshop said they called Chrysler, and was told that the light would go off, after we the vehicle had a driving a few miles.

Got the Jeep back last evening, and drove about 15 miles, running errands. It's still on. Has anyone experienced this?

A girl and her Jeep - a beautiful thing

Barbara Frechette
2010 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
St. Paul, MN, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 06:15 PM

You may have to get it reset. There is a tool that most tire shops have for this or you could try to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then see if it resets.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I'll try disconnecing the battery, and if that doesn't work, I am due for my 3000 mile oil change in the next 2 weeks, so I will see if my dealer can take care of this for me.

Barbara Frechette
St. Paul, MN, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

It should clear by itself..............if the tire pressure is OK!!!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:05 PM

After I had the winter tires put on, my light wouldn't go off either. Until I checked the tire pressure. The shop had installed them with only 25lbs in each tire!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Today, the tire pressure light went off. This happened exactly 250 miles after driving out of the body repair shop.

Barbara Frechette
St. Paul, MN, USA
Old 11-16-2010, 02:06 AM

That sound possible because when I put my winter tires (on non-OEM steel wheels) with NO pressure sensors at all, it take over 1 week (around 150 KM) before the warning light become ON... so it seem there's a delay somewhere in the system!

BTW, I hope it not gonna take a 150 KM ride if I got a flat tire before my warning light warn me!!! LOL!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:13 PM

Did you check the tire it indicates with the problem. Pressure is ok with a gauge?
What was it in the repair shop for? Did they do anything with the tires or rims if so TPMS may be missing now. Forget the drive get out and check.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

To clarify my issue with the tire pressure light that was on:

At 5 weeks, with less than 900 miles, our 2010 Jeep Compass was damaged with hail dents to the tune of $2500.00 Before we were able to get the Jeep into the Autobody Shop, we were sitting at a red light, and got rear-ended by an inattentive driver, causing $2100.00 in damage.

When we picked the Jeep up from the Auto Body Shop, we were told that the tire pressure light was on due to the fact that the rear tires had to be removed to do the repairs. He said that he had called Chrysler and was told that the light would be going off after it had been driven a bit.

When we pulled out of the Body Shop lot, the odometer turned over to 1400 miles. The light went off exactly 250 miles later.

Since the vehicle and the tires only had 1400 or so miles on them, I never imaged a problem with the tires or the sensors. It became game to see when infact the light would go on. It it didn't go on, I was going to have it addressed when I took advantage of my 3 mo/3000 mile free oil change from my dealer, which is coming up, but the light went off by itself.

Barbara Frechette
St. Paul, MN, USA
Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 PM

ok, very good to know it takes that long to clear. But I would be concerned about the TPMS taking that long to notify me in the even of a low or flat tire.

As I understood it the TPMS mounted in the rim communicates with the computer only when its spinning. There is no power in it and expect it gets energy when it spins to update the computer.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Old 11-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Trip said:

Quote:
But I would be concerned about the TPMS taking that long to notify me in the even of a low or flat tire.
The deal with the TPMS is as follow....it's a wireless sensor and will detect any pre-define drop in tire pressure that may affect security issues. It has a lifetime of around 5 - 7 years............and will be detected missing when the OBC doesn't see it's signal......that does take more time thus the reason why you might think it's defect.............simple test...........just drop your tire presssure (near a garage) and you'll see your TPMS light up...

Et voila !!!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in