07 Compass Drone - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

07 Compass Drone

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum as I recently purchased a used 07 Compass. I like the vehicle however between 65 & 70 mph I noticed a droning/humming noise that comes and goes almost like a frequency pitch. I have the 2.4l CVT with 60,000 miles on it. It's not road or engine noise, I'm wondering if its the CVT. Anyone else have this condition, if so is it normal or a sign of impending doom? Any help would be most appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Where does it sound like the noise is coming from? If it sounds like its coming from the engine, then id check all your belts. If it sounds like its coming from under you, id check your CVT belt or get your tranny fluid flushed and changed. Hope this helps! and i hope everything ends up being ok
post #3 of 5 Old 11-25-2010, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Compass drone

Sounds like its under the hood however since its only noticeable in a certain speed range its difficult to isolate. The engine and trans seem to operate normally and I am wondering if this noise is from the CVT and if its normal. A better description of the noise is this:

Driving at 65-70 HUMMMMM-noise abates,HUMMMMM-noise abates,HUMMMMM-noise abates.

Below or above that particular speed range I no longer hear it, when I do hear it its fairly loud and quite annoying. A/c on or off makes no diff, on or off the gas no diff. Wondering if maybe belt in trans or induction /active intake system? I haven't had it to the dealer yet as I was hoping someone on this forum may have encountered this before.....Thx, Jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Do you notice a fluctuation in RPMs during the noise?
post #5 of 5 Old 11-29-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Compass drone

No RPM fluctuations or any other abnormal parameters/symptoms, just the noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in