check engine light on low coolent temp code thrown - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 12-12-2010, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

check engine light on low coolent temp code thrown

in my 07 jeep compass 2.4l 4wd, the check engine light came on the other day and noticed it would heat up to normal and as soon as you turned on heat or came to a stop it got cooler and dropped to the first bar. i replaced the thermostats and the code for low coolant temperature, and it is still heating up to normal but when you turn on the heat or at idle it cools off to the first line untill you start driving it and turn off heat and it heats up to normal operating temp. it has good heat so kind of confused any ideas could it possibly be the coolant temp sensor? and how do you rest the codes i had the battery completely unhooked and it did not reset, any ideas to try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Well first, welcome to the forum, since I see this is your first post! I would be thinking coolant temp sensor as well for the next thing to try, but if you have any warranty on it, I would take it in and let them diagnose it. Could be the temp sensor, could be the gauge, could be a couple things and nothing worse than throwing money into parts that aren't the problem. As for resetting the code, you can try the "key dance" method, clicking the key rapidly from "off" to "on" several times WITHOUT starting the vehicle and see if that doesn't do it. How is your coolant level BTW?

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #3 of 3 Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokestroken View Post
in my 07 jeep compass 2.4l 4wd, the check engine light came on the other day and noticed it would heat up to normal and as soon as you turned on heat or came to a stop it got cooler and dropped to the first bar. i replaced the thermostats and the code for low coolant temperature, and it is still heating up to normal but when you turn on the heat or at idle it cools off to the first line untill you start driving it and turn off heat and it heats up to normal operating temp. it has good heat so kind of confused any ideas could it possibly be the coolant temp sensor? and how do you rest the codes i had the battery completely unhooked and it did not reset, any ideas to try?
Check around the water pump to see if any coolant is leaking. Usually, when a pump begins to go bad, coolant will leak from the "weep valve" usually on the bottom side of the pump. That's my first guess as many times, if a pump is beginning to fail, coolant will not circulate properly at very low engine speeds, such as idle. This would result in cool air as no circulation is making it to the heater core.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in