Change Oil Light - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Change Oil Light

Last Friday, I had my first oil change done, via a free oil change at my dealer.

So yesterday, the odometer turned over to 2,500. And the change oil light came on. I called the dealer today, and was told that they should have told me, but what need to do is to turn the ignition on (not start it) and pump the gas pedal 3 times. Then it will take a block or so of driving before the light goes off.

A girl and her Jeep - a beautiful thing

Barbara Frechette
2010 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
St. Paul, MN, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 PM

So the dealer did not do the reset for the oil change calculation. Dumb dealer's mechanic should know they have to reset the setting at every oil change whether the light is on or not. Otherwise you'll get it coming on prematurely.

I'd find another dealer or GOOD garage to do your next oil change and I don't wait for the light to come on. 4000-5000 miles max and you should change it and do the reset which is up and down three times within 10 seconds. In the owners manual as well.

If the tech doesn't know that he has no business changing oil. What else didn't he do right (changed the oil filter?).

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Administrator

Yes Barbara, that is the correct procedure to reset the light. It is duty cycle based, so resetting it now will help it to stay in sync with the mileage they have listed for your next oil change.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-23-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Other than having purchased a used car in 1994, and having a dent repair done in the late 90's, the oil change is the only service I've had done with this dealer.

Neglecting to tell me about the "change engine light" makes me very skeptical about the quality of their work.

Fortunately, we have a very trustworthy mechanic who has a shop a few blocks away from our home that we rely on for non-warranty work that we can't do ourselves.

A girl and her Jeep - a beautiful thing

Barbara Frechette
2010 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
St. Paul, MN, USA
post #5 of 7 Old 12-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Not only should they have told you about it, but they should have gone ahead and reset it, like they're supposed to when you get your oil changed at the dealer.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #6 of 7 Old 01-01-2011, 07:15 PM

Can you reset it if it hasn't come on?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-01-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage246 View Post
Can you reset it if it hasn't come on?
Yes, otherwise the computer assumes you have not changed your oil and continues calculating the next oil change. I go the reset procedure after each oil change. I have never seen the alert myself.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in