Dripping roof light - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Angry Dripping roof light

I have an unusual problem where there is a small amount of water dripping from the interior roof lights. The car alarm went off because of the ingress of water so I have the middle light with the alarm sensors hanging out and a towel pushed up into the roof lining. We had, unusually, very low temperature of -16 c and 8" of snow, which is low for Ireland, and that is also a lot of snow for us. I think that the car aerial, which is a stumpy located at the rear of the roof is leaking.
Aw well sure it's me birthday today so I'm off tay the pub for a few, and sure I'll worry about it tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 03:12 AM

Thumbs up

Well, Happy Birthday!!

09 Jeep Compass Rallye Sport 4X4 *inferno red*5sp manual*sun & sound grp* SOLD
04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4x4 *RED*
12 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn CC 4x4
48 Dodge Power Wagon AWD *continental flathead 6*
Old 12-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Well Happy belated Birthday to ya! Sucks to hear about the water leak, you gonna take it in? Keep us posted!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 PM

Do you happen to have a sunroof? I've seen numerous posts where the sunroof leaks, and then water gets into the interior lights. I believe this was on older models. You might want to search this site for posts on this issue. If you don't have a sunroof, I don't know what to tell you. We have had record snow fall here in Minnesota during December, including one 17 inch snow, and a 7 inch snow, and I haven't noticed any water. My jeep sits outside, 24/7.

Hope you had a great birthday.

A girl and her Jeep - a beautiful thing

Barbara Frechette
2010 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
St. Paul, MN, USA
Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The thaws on

Hey, hanx everyone for the birthday wishes.
European Compass's don't have sunroof's, and their radio aerials are a stumpy mounted at the rear of the roof. (as seen in attached thumbnail pic) I think, to use a local phrase, there is a little "Frost Heave", where water has got under the aerial base and has frozen, lifting the aerial slightly allowing the water to penetrate, as we now have a thaw and rain. I'll wait untill it dries to rectify the problem myself.
The last 2 pics are the rest of my fleet, and the last pic is the reason why the other 2 sit outside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image0022.jpg (26.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (93.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0156.jpg (86.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0128.jpg (96.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Image0019.jpg (29.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Administrator

Sounds like you have the problem pretty well figured out. You going to have to replace the aerial or just re-seal it? Cool pics BTW, thanks for sharing them!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
Sounds like you have the problem pretty well figured out. You going to have to replace the aerial or just re-seal it? Cool pics BTW, thanks for sharing them!

- Cherokee
Naw, I'll fix it meself. Garage is 30min drive away and would probably make a bollix of it, so I may as well do it. Any ways, I trained as an auto electrician many years ago, so I learned how to pull a car interior apart quite professionally. I'll probably just reseal it so.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 PM

Garage
Hello! I've read your post a couple of days ago. Today it's been a bit warm here in Quebec. So I also discovered some water dripping from the map and the dome lights.

So I went to the Jeep dealer and found out that it's a service bulletin. The drains of the sunroof are defective. I know that you don't have a sunroof but I thought I might share this with y'all.

HID Trois-RiviŤres /
Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Smile Update on R17 AFF progress

Well we had a dry day today, so I dropped the roof lining and got in with a 10mm socket and tightened the aerial.
All I need is some rain to test it. Being Norn Iron, that won't take long. lets hope it's a success.
Yes before ye's start, I remembered to remove the towel.
I also noticed that the torch in the rear light wasn't work'n, so I took it apart and cleaned the contact on the battery, and now it's nice and shiney.

Last edited by raff; 01-02-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Did it work raff? No more leak I hope!

- Cherokee

Old 01-09-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
Did it work raff? No more leak I hope!

- Cherokee
It sure did work. I didn't have tay wait long for the rain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in