Daimler, We have a problem... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 06-01-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Daimler, We have a problem...

Ok. I've hit my first major problem with the compass. Here goes the story...

The other day I was driving along and I went to roll my back windows down. Nothing happens, none of my windows work. I push up and down and they don't move. So I'm thinking, maybe It's like a computer, So I turn off the road and park. Turn the car off and then turn it back on. (Like restarting a computer). Sure enough they work. BUT All until I hit the right rear window button. As soon as I hit that one, the light goes off and the windows stop working again.

So I bring it to the dealer the next day. 9:00AM. They said it might take awhile since it's electrical. I understand so about an hour and half later they come back and tell me they've order another master window switch and it will be there by 2:30PM and I can bring the car back it should only take about 20 minutes to install. So I'm like ok.

So I leave and come back. (Of course the parts didn't get there until 3:30) So about 4:30 the service tech comes over and explains that the problem is still happenning and that there must be a short somewhere in the system. They explained something about different modules. I really wasn't completely paying attention. Problem is, it takes a long time to fix these. He said that the dealer will cover everything. He said I could bring the car back on Monday morning and they will trade it out for a loaner until they get it fixed which should take about a day and half.

So now I'm waiting until monday... I'm a little disappointed I'm already having problems. (@ 9 Months, 12,000 Miles) Hopefully this is the only one. I'll post updates here as they come along.

Jeep Compass LIMITED 4x2 - Jeep Green
*Driver Package
*Security Package
*Boston Speaker Upgrade
*U-Connect Connectivity
*Sirius Sat. Radio
*Pin-Strip
*Wheel Locks
*Black Vent Visors
*LED Multi-Color Underglow
*Rallye Body Kit [Pending Installation]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-06-2007, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
and a solution

Ok so here's the update with the solution. Turns out not to be a major issue. I'll keep you entertained by providing the story verison, lol.

So I get to the dealer like 8:30 AM to drop the car off. I go in to pick up the rental, we were there for like and hour before we finally left. They gave us the most basic PT Cruiser available (suprised it had power windows). The rental was for 24 hours. But about noon I got a call from the dealer that my car was ready. I was like already? What happened I thought it was going to take a day and half. He like nope it was something simple.

So apparently they ran some tests, took off the back rear door panel and found a wire that was catching on the window. So everytime the window would go up and down the wire was rubbing. Eventually rubbed a hole in the wire and the wire started touching the body of the car causing it short out the system.

WHEW...I thought my car was going to have a major electrical issue. Luckly it was somethign simple.

However the service person that took care of my car made several "pry" marks where he/she removed the plastic paneling. So I pointed it out the dealer and now I have to go back to have that fixed (or replaced if not fixable).

Jeep Compass LIMITED 4x2 - Jeep Green
*Driver Package
*Security Package
*Boston Speaker Upgrade
*U-Connect Connectivity
*Sirius Sat. Radio
*Pin-Strip
*Wheel Locks
*Black Vent Visors
*LED Multi-Color Underglow
*Rallye Body Kit [Pending Installation]
post #3 of 11 Old 06-07-2007, 01:13 AM

Very interesting story, I'll keep it in mind in case it happens to me also.

RedVortex

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4
Steel Blue, 26E, CVT, Boston Acoustics, Sec. grp.
Heated seats, Driver's convenience grp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-11-2007, 06:56 PM

I had a similar electrical glitch on my Jeep Compass. It happened when I had it for a week. I locked the door via the key sentry went to the mall came back out a couple of hours later then the key sentry won't open the doors!!!

I can't believe I can't get into my own car. After several try, nothing! I was so upset I shook the car...guess what...the key unlocked the doors. After this I also notice the digital clock keeps resetting and my CD players kept skipping and making clicking noises...

I called the dealer and they scheduled me to come in for testing...but the night before I opened the fuse box pressed all of the fuse to make sure nothing was wrong...and poof! The electrical errors disappeared!
Apparently one of the main fuse was slightly loose. I went to the dealer to get it checked anyway.

There has been no problem ever since...

Jeep Compass SPORTS 4X4 - Manual
Marine Pearl Blue
post #5 of 11 Old 06-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Glad you got that fixed there, Miko. There was a TSB or Techincal Service Bulletin out on that exact same thing, and it indeed was a loose fuse connection. Fortunately for me, mine had been corrected before I bought it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #6 of 11 Old 06-11-2007, 07:52 PM

Hey Cherokee:

Yes the dealer did mentioned that there were 3 other customer who returned with the same problem - they were able to figure it out, they said it was a good thing that I thought of checking the fuses. I guess it pays to listen to your dad - he always say "check your fuses first before you look elsewhere..." hehe :lol:

When did the bulletin came out? I had the errors the first week of May 2007.

Jeep Compass SPORTS 4X4 - Manual
Marine Pearl Blue
post #7 of 11 Old 06-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Yeah, like me, I start with the cheapest component to have to fix, then work my way up to the more complicated and/or expensive when I am diagnosing anything, and oftentimes, it really is something simple that I overlooked.

In answer to your question, the bulletin for the fuses was TSB# 08-016-06A and it was issued in July of 2006, and that is according to AllData, for the 2007 Jeep Truck Compass 2WD L4-2.4L. A few days ago, we pulled up all of the bulletins that are out to date. If I can find a way to scan this in, I can e-mail you a copy, but your dealer has access to the very same information. Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #8 of 11 Old 06-15-2007, 05:25 PM

This is the sort of thing you'll often see in the first batch of vehicles. They've likely made running changes to fix many such problems already. In my reliability reseach, I collect repair data monthly. So it has been evident that with many new designs the repair rate starts high then falls off as the manufacturer finds and fixes design issues.

Vehicle reliability, fuel economy, and price comparison information
post #9 of 11 Old 06-20-2007, 01:26 AM

Malfunction Light

Has anyone had problems with a malfunction light coming on?

I had my Compass for less then 3 hours and it was back to the dealership with the malfunction light on (a small light under the P on the dashboard). The thought it was a leak in the exhust system in front of the O2 sensor. A few days later light was back on. They tried fixing it again...nope it went back in about a week later. So to date it's been to the dealership 4 times for the same problem...they have had the engineers from DCX and the plant in ILL. come to the dealership to look at it. They have finally fixed it...they replaced everything from engine to tailpipe on the Compass.

The malfunction light is not the same as the service engine soon light. Malfunction is for NON-SAFETY issues...Service Engine Soon can be for SERIOUS issues that can include safety issues.

I'm happy I'm a leasee and not a purchaser...in early 2009 I'll have a new Jeep again...I may try a vehicle that has been around awhile or depending on what Jeep comes out with by then.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-24-2007, 12:42 AM
Administrator

What??? What exactly was the problem which would require replacing everything??? Did they know what was actually wrong with the car? I mean, did they do all that work because that was necessary, or just because they couldn't find the problem? In that case, I am glad you leased one, too.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 PM

Im going through this right as we speak. I bought my 07 Compass a week ago and its spent more time there than in my garage. I keep getting the Malfunctioning Indicator Light(MIL) First time they thought is was a glitched and cleared it, 300 miles later its back. Service Manager thinks that there is a wiring harness that is having some issues. So they are going to replace it, they did give me a loaner for the time being. I am somewhat curious if they narrowed down the root cause of the failure. Did you ever find out exactly what the failure came to be?

Ron Jeremy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in