Fuel injectors wont -- inject - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 02-07-2011, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Fuel injectors wont -- inject

I dont know what else to I no longer have the funds nor resources. Ive recently reassemble my Jeeps front end and cannot get the motor to start. Ive done some basic trouble shooting such as draining the 2yr old fuel n replacing with new, testing for spark... I am getting fire from the spark plugs and so long as i spray the starter fluid the Jeep stays on, so I know the motor is not locked.
Brief history: The motor and tranny were removed and I was left to reinstall.
I originally thought is wasnt starting due to old fuel but same results with fresh 89 octane. I then decide to check the injectors and thats where the problem is...
Has anyone had this experience all cables/ground seem to be connected I dont think I missed anything. I really want to get this thing started and on the road soon but it just isnt happening and all the repair have left me hurting at the pocket. HELP......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

....oh yea umm.. neither of the injectors are not putting out fuel
post #3 of 9 Old 02-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Well can you confirm there is pressure in the fuel rail. If there is pressure (some rails have a pressure release valve.) It may look like a tire valve end push it in and the fuel should squirt out. there will be pressure even after the engine stops running. As for metering the injectors if they are getting power to open. I am not sure how you'd go about it with them connected. Maybe remove one and connect a voltmeter and see if that one gets a pulse when you're trying to start it.

Why was this all apart in the first place.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 AM
Administrator

I agree with checking for pressure at the rail like tripplec described at the schraeder valve. Could be something as simple as a clogged injector.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #5 of 9 Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you tripple and Cherokee I have confirmed the fuel pump is working and there is infact pressure in the line, thats actually how I was able to have the fuel tank emptied. I'll prob have to borrow or purchase a voltmeter to determine if there is any current reaching the injectors.... but then where to go from there if no current... anyone?

The motor and tranny were pulled by a friend of the relative that wrecked my compass. (It didnt have full coverage and I was left with the repairs and payments :/ ) Guess the guy decided not to attempt the repairs after all.. Check out the pics in my profile, that was me doing the repairs at another relatives body shop.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 PM

Well for that job and many. A good voltmeter is imperative. I have 4-6 kicking around.

Injectors are pulsed to squirt gas into the cylinders (one for each of the 4 you'll have).

With that situation if at least one is getting a pulse (you'll need a service manual Haynes or other)the other are likely as well. It need it to fire gas in the cylinder. Given there is fuel pressure then the pump is running. Something my be unplugged entirely or not all the way in. You'll have to reference a service manual. If you get spark, fuel and air it should run unless there is a noteworthy timing issue.

Good luck.

Disconnect the battery and then check your connectors so you don't blow something. Reconnect when you're read to test again.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 02-08-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Content and typing
post #7 of 9 Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 PM

that a lot of harness exposed in the front fender. There could be a cut wire, damaged harness from the impact. Be sure its all plugged in and if the computer was disconnected that its connection is fully seated. No battery connected or you'll blow something such as the computer or TIPM (totally integrated power module) I don't know what controls the injectors but I would give it a real close look over with a good light.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 9 Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again tripplec I definatley take your advice and apply it to my Jeep. I think its time I took a look in to purchasing the Haynes manual and save me some headache.
Yes there were alot of cut wires from the accident but I was able to replace the wire and fuse box, there were alot of wires to clip and color cordinate...
Oh... I thought I would have had this on the road by now.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 PM

Well given that you've done some harness splicing. I'd have to say it likely to be one of them missed or cross connected to the wrong circuit. Unless it blew the module.

1st check all accessible connectors
2nd what every wiring you have access to now
3rd meter at least on injector is see if its getting any pulse power. If it is then some other circuit may be preventing it from running due to the cut harness.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in