Power Train Shudder - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Angry Power Train Shudder

I have been trying to get the dealers to address shuddering which occurs just before coming to a stop at normal deceleration. I can repeat the problem my way including coast up a grade to about a stop and it shudders, applying a minute amount of gas just enough to keep that 3kph or what ever and it stay shuddering while in that zone.

This has plagued me and my wife since we bought this 16k ago. Finally after opening a case with Chrysler and new inspection yet again. Resulted in identifying the problem. The transmission torque converter. I was not aware a CVT also had a torque converter.

As for the repair/resolution. Well the decision by engineering at Chrysler is that this is consider normal in some vehicles and no further repair or action will be taken at this time.

Are they for real, I have to endure this embarrassment every day we are in it.

Guess who's vehicles I won' buy anymore. My first new warranty vehicle purchase since 1997 (a Caravan) and this is what new car warranties are go for, nothing.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-12-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I have been trying to get the dealers to address shuddering which occurs just before coming to a stop at normal deceleration. I can repeat the problem my way including coast up a grade to about a stop and it shudders, applying a minute amount of gas just enough to keep that 3kph or what ever and it stay shuddering while in that zone.

This has plagued me and my wife since we bought this 16k ago. Finally after opening a case with Chrysler and new inspection yet again. Resulted in identifying the problem. The transmission torque converter. I was not aware a CVT also had a torque converter.

As for the repair/resolution. Well the decision by engineering at Chrysler is that this is consider normal in some vehicles and no further repair or action will be taken at this time.

Are they for real, I have to endure this embarrassment every day we are in it.

Guess who's vehicles I won' buy anymore. My first new warranty vehicle purchase since 1997 (a Caravan) and this is what new car warranties are go for, nothing.

we need to meet up and talk about this! i have the same issue! they replaced the transmission and it went away for a bit then a few months later it's back. they gave up

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
190,000 km (Always in the shop)
Recently Overhauled every link/bushing in the front/rear
20% tint on windows
Lamin-X smoked tail lights
Painted all silver interior trim satin black.
I strongly Reccomend You Don't buy a Jeep Compass!!!!
post #3 of 15 Old 02-12-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackman View Post
we need to meet up and talk about this! i have the same issue! they replaced the transmission and it went away for a bit then a few months later it's back. they gave up
It could be the engine. But to tell you the truth I am not certain if it is the tranny 100%. That's what they think after a Chrysler initiated assessment and told this by engineering. Some vehicles do it and they now consider it normal problem. It could be the engine, vibration under load at lower RPM.

My selling dealer is going to have a look at it who is out of town. Chrysler won't even talk to me anymore as long as I can drive it. Period nor will the advisers there transfer me to customer relations.

I did not buy a newer vehicle from a dealer to deal that type power train issues that won't be repaired. It should be smooth and run like new that it is under full warranty. So I thought if something isn't right they'll fix it! No they won't. Well Only 1 out of 4 issue since I got it have actually been fixed. The others are normal and that tough luck for me.

So whats the warranty worth when they can pick and choose what they'll fix.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 02-12-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: updated content and wording. I am really messing up lately. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-12-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
It could be the engine. But to you the truth I am not certain if it is the tranny 100%. That's what they think and told by engineering. Some vehicles do it and now consider it normal. It could be the engine, vibration under load at lower RPM.

My selling dealer is going to have a look at it. Chrysler won't even talk to me anymore as long as I can drive it. Period nor will the advisers there transfer me to customer relations.

I did not buy a newer vehicle from a dealer to deal that type power train. It should be smooth and run like new that it is under full warranty. So I thought if something isn't right they'll fix it! No they won't. Well Only 1 out of 4 issue since I got it have actually been fixed. The others are normal and that tough luck for me.

So whats the warranty worth when they can pick and choose what they'll fix.

my transmission was replaced and i still got they replaced engine mounts and said ok noise is gone i pull out of the lot schhhhhhkuk schhhhhhhkuk......im like for f&^% sakes. i went to the mech i was like come here drove around the lot he said i dont hear anything. took it to another dealer funny thing is they replaced the transmission now the lines are leaking.

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
20% tint on windows
post #5 of 15 Old 02-12-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Well if leaking lines were all I had. No big deal just take it back and they can fix that as a followup

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 15 Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Well if leaking lines were all I had. No big deal just take it back and they can fix that as a followup
they wouldnt...this is the dealership that threated to sue me...... because i video taped them.... i can provide you guys with a fake account on the bmw forum i posted my complaint on where the service manager was arguing with me! yes the thread is still on the site.... all the evidence is there...funny that craig hind shut down recently and no longer exist. im going to make a huge stink just wait...

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
20% tint on windows
post #7 of 15 Old 02-12-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Was that done as a warranty repair. If so take the work order with you to another dealer or better still. Call Chrysler and tell them the dealer that did the warranty work is out of business now and there is a problem with the assembly. Fluid is leaking, they'll likely as which dealer you use now. Give then the name go down and the dealer and head office will take care of it. That the way it should work anyway.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 15 Old 02-14-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Well I had my CVT thoughly checked by my selling dealer who is about 180km east of Toronto. The tech assumed nothing and after a long test drive took it into the bay and performed a detailed suite of tests include fluid level check (we can't do it). Unlike a regular automatic a CVT cannot disengage while in motions and there is a lock torque converter which is programmed to unlock just before stopping. This according to him is causing the problem. He confirmed that it is occurring at the correct moment. Yes Chrysler has many other report about this but this dealer had not heard of it before. I test drove a 2008 and it had no issues. However my 2009 was not cooperating, the shutters will weak. Typical of when to take a vehicle in the symptom was pale in comparison to what occurred on my way home. 2hrs later I am at home and unless the CVT fails or something goes in it. There is no resolution at this time. A program change may address this in the future otherwise it stands as it is.

I brought up the screech rear breaks problem and that is know and as a result of the pads used. Some harder pads cause this and/or if there is a hard spot on the pad. Changing the pads is the only solution which I'll do soon since the snow should be gone in a few weeks!!! Right.

The shuddering does not reflect on the longevity of the CVT (thats the good new). Also the cooler option for it is primarily to cool the engine oil, yes engine oil which get hotter when towing. There is a built in CVT cooler already there according to the tech. Hence not need for that option. If was going to be doing some long runs towing I'll plan ahead and have a good synthetic oil in the engine and/or 5w30 which handles the heat better. The majority of my trailer activities are in the fall or winter. I thinks is cold enough to keep it under control.

Well that the latest update. Although I was more statisfied at this dealer due to the concern expressed and the time, due diligence shown and effort put into getting to the bottom of the problem. I don't alter my DON'T BUY position and that would be for any product they make. I can assure all this is my last in a long list of vehicles since 1973 which I owned. The push to offshore next is pretty much certain.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 15 Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Administrator

tripplec, weren't they still offering the lifetime powertrain warranty when you bought your '09 and was it available to you? I know I didn't have it with my Compass but I have it with my '08 Ram and things like this are covered. Just a thought.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #10 of 15 Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Not sure it was in Canada. I did read about it once. My owners manual says nothing.

Just check www.jeep.ca and looked at compass, warranty.

"All 2009 Chrysler, Jeep ® and Dodge vehicles are backed by a 5-year or 100,000-kilometre* fully transferable Powertrain Warranty with $0 deductible, plus 24-hour roadside assistance. † Basic Warranty coverage is for 3 years or 60,000 kilometres.* Rust-through coverage on all body sheet metal is for 3 years. The Cummins® Turbo Diesel engine is protected by a separate Limited Warranty, covering the engine for 5 years or 160,000 kilometres.*"

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 02-18-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Added warranty text from website.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I wasn't sure about Canada, either, but I want to say here, that '09 was the last year they offered it, after that, it's 5yr./100,00. When we bought the Compass in Dec. '06, we could purchase that lifetime warranty as our extended warranty but we didn't find that out until way after we bought it.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #12 of 15 Old 02-20-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

I should note that I have been to 3 separate dealers on this issue. Most never heard of the problem and contact Chrysler engineering and then tell me some vehicles do this and Chrysler engineering considers this NORMAL now. So what your warranty worth? Diddly squat. I have new vehicle vibrating and shutter at most stops. Every problem that is not a hard failure is that its normal or nothing wrong. Even in one case where it was documented in the owners manual.

They have a cop-out for everything they don't want to pay for and repair or replace.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I have been search the web for more info on the CVT problems. I find now that Shudder & vibrations have plagued Honda, Audi and Patriot owner all having problems with CVT transmissions. I also came across this thread on Edmonds website. Wow to the Compass problems.. http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0e3b63

It appear that dealer across North America are ignoring customer complains as is Chrysler and not providing the warranty services as they should.

Well spring is coming it may be best to trade in on a NON North American ride especial not a Chrysler product. I looked at the Patriot forum and many problems there as well. Unbelievable in this again of the internet with information flow. They are shooting themselves in the heart, forget the foot.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #14 of 15 Old 02-24-2011, 04:25 PM

Georgia

Just found out that my Jeep Compass 2008 tires are bad because the two front ball joints needed to be replaced. I went to fire stone and did a complete check on my vehicle. I was informed the tires did not have normal wear and tear. They stated the tires were ruined because the ball joints are bad on the Jeep Compass. I went back to Chrysler and gave them the paper work from fire stone. Finally Chrysler replace the ball joints. Nice now I'm stuck with three bad tires!! We bought the additional road side assistance through Chrysler. But road side assistance will not reimburse us for the new tire we purchased last month or any of our tires since the ball joints were bad. Chrysler owes us for one new tire and should replace the three bad tires. I should have known something was wrong when they told us we had bad tires at less then 20,000 miles on the vehicle. They just kept noting loud noise from back rear and blamed it on our tires. But they did not further investigate why the tires were going bad so fast. So the additional deluxe road side assistance we paid for which included replacement for tires are of new use to us now. Thanks Chrysler!!!
post #15 of 15 Old 02-24-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Whenever I've contact Chrysler customer support they give the so what attitude and provide no help. Then direct me back to my dealer or ask have you taken it for service but the dealers hands are tied a lot and they have to approve all but the obvious warranty situations.

I can see that I will have to check the front end etc at each oil change for problems. Since I do it myself I can look out for worn front end issues as best I can.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in