Spark Plug change on 2.4L - hidden? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Spark Plug change on 2.4L - hidden?

I just did another oil change just caught it. About 5000k on it and I thought I should prep for a spark plug change.

I pulled the top cover off and cannot see the plugs from either side from the top. Looks like this might be a PIA job but I am not going to pay the dealer or someone else to do them. Only 4 but were.

Who's done them?

How'd it go swapping them?

The engine seems fine and I don't know if the were changed before or not.
It will be a fair weather job sunny and a bit warmer then the -2 today.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-26-2011, 05:58 AM

it's really easy. After you remove the cover on the top of the engine, look for the 4 coil packs on top. They are the gray roundish things (all in a straight line on top of the valve cover) with the wires going in. Remove the wire pugs by lifting gently and pulling them back. You'll need a T-30 torx bit or screwdriver to remove the retaining screw from the coil. Now you should be able to pull up on the coil and you'll hear it plop as it comes off of the spark plug. You'll need an extension on your ratchet to remove the plug. I got lucky and my spark plug socket still had the rubber inside and held onto the plugs for removal and the new ones for insertion. That's it.
I've included a picture to show you what the top of the coils look like. You can see the retaining screw I'm talking about and the wire plugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compass sparkplug.jpg (24.7 KB, 260 views)

Steel blue metallic
'08 Compass Sport
2WD, PW/PL
As of 2/25/11 have almost 50,000 miles and no major problems to date.

Last edited by spcbrindley; 02-26-2011 at 06:19 AM.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,

I was wondering what they were last night after posting and did not really investigate it. Well is sound about like an Eagle AWD I had with the plugs way down 4-5 inches.
I have a flex tool with 3 prong claw to grab the end of the spark plug and bring it up.

Excellent.

I was fixing an problem at home and need to cut a piece of hard plastic for an electrical insulator. I was using scissors, it cut the plastic alright and also the end of the flesh of my thumb. I flushed the blood so I could see the flesh and I fit the piece back in place like a puzzle. I hope it grows back in otherwise I'll have a big dent in my thumb. I think anyway.

Spark plugs on hold for now..

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 02-26-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Mishap...lobbed off thumb flesh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-04-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Well after a lot of digging I found the Spark Plug number since its no longer on the plastic sticker in the engine compartment. Why?

Anyway on Page 384 of the owners manual (this is not indexed for some reason) it states to use ZFR5F-11 plug which is an NGK spark plug. I was a bit surprised that it was not a Platinum at least. Has anyone used anything different and/or has the 2010 Compass or newer switched to different plug on the 2.4L engines.

One of the reasons I ask is that Jeep says this can get 39 or 40MPG on the Canadian website. With the engines etc the same thats about 6MPG more than what was stated for the 2009's and 10MPG more than I get on the highway of course. I was wondering if they're using the Platinum or Iridium equivalents.

PZFR5F-11 is an equivalent for example from NGK

An interesting read on Spark Plugs, engineering and how they work. http://www.weaponxperformance.com/te...UG_TECH_V1.pdf

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 03-04-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Added info, text and typos fixed
post #5 of 18 Old 03-05-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Plug change

Ok, I made the executive decision. The G -Plug was slightly more and has the design profile of Iridium (pointed electrode). So I've installed them now and will see how it runs. Although I don't have MPG comparisons that would be exact anymore but can see what is does on the highway on my next trip. Plugs designs are won't have more than 5% variation however it the plug is in bad shape than anything should show and improvement in consumption.

I have a few photos during the change to share. I will say straight off you'll need a socket extension of 6" (5" might squeak by) but longer will give you working height. My extension is a lot longer and with a plug socket with the rubber they come straight out.

Use the socket to re-deposit the new plug into the hole (don't drop it in or you'll change the gap). I recommend tightening initially as far as it will go by hand (no ratchet just turn the socket extension until finger tight, you don't want to cross thread it.) Then tighten with the ratchet. this is an aluminum head so don't get horny with your ratchet.

I had to pull the wire set to the coil off for the right-most plug since there wasn't enough slack in the wire. Easily comes off when the release tab is squeezed. I did one plug at a time being careful with the coil retaining screws. (don't want to lose them!!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-03-05 11.29.35.jpg (68.2 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-03-05 11.29.51.jpg (52.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-03-05 11.45.05.jpg (68.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-03-05 11.46.40.jpg (59.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-03-05 11.46.52.jpg (61.3 KB, 122 views)

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 03-05-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Photo's upload
post #6 of 18 Old 03-14-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Well I did a millage check today driving highway. Speed was between 110-125km/hr and in 202km driven I got 26mpg. Pretty bad for this class of vehicle. My Grand Cherokee would get about the same.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 18 Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 AM

Garage
fuel economy?

Well, with nearly 50K-my average has been 22.5 MPG since I have owned the car. Mostly city driving. I guess Transport Canada was correct.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #8 of 18 Old 03-14-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Compass Gas Millage

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe View Post
Well, with nearly 50K-my average has been 22.5 MPG since I have owned the car. Mostly city driving. I guess Transport Canada was correct.
Were did you see that?

The 2009 year as I recall was listed at 34 Hwy which in the Jeep website in 2010 they were saying both 39 &40MPG depending where you looked and it was the 2.4L w/4x4.

That being reality they are fuel hogs. I can get highway 25-26 MPG on my 4.0L in the 2002 Grand Cherokee. I don't measure city millage due may factors of stop and go.

The Compass results are after a recent oil change and new spark plugs. I know it would be better at 90-100k but knowone drive at that slow speed on the 401 here.

Edited and added the word attachment.
NOTE: I have included the link within the document where you can search others and filter parameters. Only automatic's are in this list due to my filter.
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...gs-results.cfm
Attached Files
File Type: doc Transport Canada Fuel Millage Ratings.doc (55.5 KB, 15 views)

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 03-14-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Research and added Word document of Fuel ratings
post #9 of 18 Old 04-07-2011, 12:25 AM

Using a piece of rubber hose that is a snug fit over the spark plug top is a much better way to start the plugs in an aluminum head. You can't get the torque to cross thread them..plus put some anti seize on the plug threads..
post #10 of 18 Old 04-12-2011, 05:10 PM

Changed the plugs in the "bosses" compass a couple of days ago. They were NGK V-groove plugs and the V-groove was gone completely. Gotta love the way the stealership "goes over everything"...
Burned out brake light, dirty air filter, worn out plugs..
post #11 of 18 Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_green_compass View Post
Changed the plugs in the "bosses" compass a couple of days ago. They were NGK V-groove plugs and the V-groove was gone completely. Gotta love the way the stealership "goes over everything"...
Burned out brake light, dirty air filter, worn out plugs..
Why don't you fill in your signature. Knowone knows what your vehicles is. Nor the year, millage etc. You've posted a few times surely you've noticed that by now.

As for the stealership. Did you have it in for routine service specifically? That's when the change the specified items of which you referred to as per the chart. If so then you'd probably better off that they did not do it or you'd pay their parts prices and labour. Every see what they charge for an air filter?

Brake light bulb out? It rarely comes on, odd it out. Did you change it?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 18 Old 04-12-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Why don't you fill in your signature. Knowone knows what your vehicles is. Nor the year, millage etc. You've posted a few times surely you've noticed that by now.
I never read them and never use them and I kinda assumed because I was posting in a Compass forum..that people would figure out I owned a Compass.

Quote:
As for the stealership. Did you have it in for routine service specifically? That's when the change the specified items of which you referred to as per the chart. If so then you'd probably better off that they did not do it or you'd pay their parts prices and labour. Every see what they charge for an air filter?

Brake light bulb out? It rarely comes on, odd it out. Did you change it?
I bought the truck used and part of the salesmans pitch was.."our mechanics go over everything".
Brake lights come on every time you hit the brakes..they gotta burn out sometime.
Yep..I changed the bulb and air filter too. I do all the maintenance on my vehicles.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-11-2011, 05:29 PM

Ive noticed my compass will miss ever now and then when its under a load, Which kinda plugs and wires do yall use? Does that sound like a plug or plug wires? I found some aplug wire @ rockauto.com, local parts store says they are still a dealers item....go figure. Whats the best plug to use?
post #14 of 18 Old 04-06-2014, 02:18 PM

Garage
2011 and up use only use NGK irridium plugs g-power now
post #15 of 18 Old 04-06-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by numskull View Post
Ive noticed my compass will miss ever now and then when its under a load, Which kinda plugs and wires do yall use? Does that sound like a plug or plug wires? I found some aplug wire @ rockauto.com, local parts store says they are still a dealers item....go figure. Whats the best plug to use?
There aren't any wires on theses. Pop the plastic cover and you'll see the coils for each cylinder are on each plug tower. If they're not seated properly by someone changing them it could cause the problem. Pull them inspecting each plug which should be partially brown (not all black or white) Tan is ok as well. The cylinder or plug will be different if there is a problem unless is occasional you won't see it on the plug. At least I don't think so.

Replace them with the same type. EG if they're spec'd for copper core use copper core. V grove is what I used last time and run fine which are due for a change about now.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #16 of 18 Old 07-27-2015, 03:54 PM

Garage
Thank you for this post! It took me all of 15 minutes to change these plugs, and the dealer was going to charge me $100! EASY AS PIE!
post #17 of 18 Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

I know I had to remove one of the coils due to a short wiring harness. I went one at a time doing them and it took me longer. But its not hard as long as you don't screw something up or swap coil to a different plug which shouldn't be easy.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #18 of 18 Old 02-15-2017, 09:41 PM

My 2007 compass has a miss in the engine. Plugged it in to computer and it gave the code "engine coil C". Replaced coil and checked the other three and still has a miss. Replaced all plugs (which were pretty bad) and it didn't fix it.
Computer still showing "engine coil C"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I know I had to remove one of the coils due to a short wiring harness. I went one at a time doing them and it took me longer. But its not hard as long as you don't screw something up or swap coil to a different plug which shouldn't be easy.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in