09 New Ball Joints - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

09 New Ball Joints

Another story for this forum. Seems like we are all in the same boat with this vehicle!

Back breaks started squeaking, so got a friend to diagnose etc. Gave me the quote etc, and checked the front breaks. He says the front ball joints need to be replaced ASAP -- really bad.

Go the the dealer, not a problem. Turns out to be 2 ball joints replaced and ONE of the tie rod ends. I'm happy its all under warranty. I took the 100K extended and I'm only at 55K.

This situation worries me though. Why are the ball joints crapping out on me at only 55k? Shouldn't the parts last a little longer?

The replacement parts I'm assuming are going to be the same build/quality etc. I'm hoping I wont have to worry about this again until 100K. Can this be a correct assumption, as long as I dont drive it crazy!

I'm back at the dealer tomorrow afternoon to take back their loaner car I have (2010 Charger.... thinking the compass might start being trouble and have no hesitation on trading it in!) I'm going to ask them why they only changed one of the tie rods... wouldn't this mean more wear and tear on the "old" one?

Thanks for any comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Assumption is correct unless the Chrysler Jobber has upgraded improved spec's. Without a grease fitting there is nothing you can do in the interium. You can ask the dealer mechanic (not the service rep.). The 2007 & 2008 have been having this problem and it looks like I will be doing the same soon. I am at 47k on my 2009 and NO they should not be failing this soon but they are to so many of the Compasses. Other parts as well being new you can read up on the forum threads.

Good luck.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
He said its normal wear and tear for the parts today, and said that it's happened on other models, at earlier stages in their life.... makes me wonder if the parts used are of good quality or not....

There are no squeaks bangs etc when I go over bumps in the road!
So happy its fixed under warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 PM

Normal for them but not others or previous products. I had original tie rods on my 97 Caravan and only needed to change one ball joint in 200k. Now the front ends are falling apart in 50k or so. The call it normal wear that way they dismiss it as a problem. If some of the owner we injured in an accident because of this early wear. There would be a safety investigation. I reported it to transport Canada. They will look into it but if you're porting it because of an accident occurred then they really go after it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 PM

chrisbb:
Just a tidbit on the ball joints.

They are not an independent part on the Compass. They're part of the control arm along with bushings. Hence, out of warranty it's a much more expensive part. I have see them listed at US parts places around $150 ball park and I don't know what they would cost in Canada while the dealer price is double from Jeep and don't last anyway.

Don't you just love being ripped off and have them tell you oh its normal. Also if they wear too much this will cause major wear problems to your tire wear pattern and/or cupping that some people have reported already. That is not covered under warranty. You're still on the hook for a new set of tires (4 if its a 4x4), more joy eh. LOL

You pretty well have to check them every oil change or second change max for wear.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 03-24-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typo's and info changed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in