Front end woes - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 49 Old 04-08-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Front end woes

hello, my girlfriend has an 07 compass and has had front end issues for a while now.

we replaced the ball joints and tie rods ends but she still has a very bad clunking when driving slow over bumps/potholes.

ive been told and read that the lower control arms are probably causing this. i found a bunch for sale on ebay but i just wanted to check with all of you to confirm that this is the issue.

im sure thers other stuf wrong also bc ther seems to be a different sqeak, clunk, rattle in the frot end everyday and her tires are wearing down much faster on the iside tread.

there was talk in another thread that this may be warrantied??? im not sure if it applies to her bc she has 60K+ miles on the car now but she does have a certified preowned warranty so im going to call the dealer and give the the vin# and see what they could do.

just trying to get a step ahead if they cant do the work.

also besides leaking, is ther any other signs of bad struts? i read that they commonly go bad in the compass as well.

it seems like shes going to be out quite a bit of $$$$ even if i do the work for her....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Something is still worn out.
- ball joints and/or control arm bushings (all one assemble so its replace all together)
- inner rack end of tie rods (I don't see any inner ends on mine it appear to going into the rack a boot)

You'll need to jack up each wheel and grab the wheel at 9 & 3 oclock. Twist side to side and if there is someone underneath need to identify the sourse by both looking and/or feeling at the connection points if you no certain. (I had a very slight movement but it was within the rack and pinion assembly)

Do the same with a 12 & 6 oclock grip and have the ball joints observed. The lifting a bit to see of the struts have any slop but being spring loaded it may be difficult. The vehicle should be on a jack stand. Trusting a jack and pushing around is very risky and a no no if you're going under neath.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 49 Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks man.

yea a while back her brother and myself jacked the car up and tried to locate the noise/ noises by grabbing the tire as you said and skaking it. no luck though but that was a while ago. since then her symptoms have goten considerably worse so ill try again tomorrow

we kinda did the whole "throw parts at it" with the ball joints and tie rod ends bc we read at the time that was most likely the cause. ( we pressed the old ball joint out and new ones in with a small press rented from autozone)

so b4 i throw control arms at it (whether i just get em with new bj's or not) i just wana make sure theyr bad or i guess its the bushings that go bad

anybody reccommend a good set of control arms. the ones im looking at are 100$ plus shipping. for lower left and lower right...but that seems too cheap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 04-08-2011, 07:14 PM

If you search around there is a link in one of my posts for a youtube video showing the bad ball joint and attached bushings. I believe its in a "control arm" thread. It clearly shows the movement and worn parts as well as the replacement process.

I am suspecting the banging is more likely the struts all of which are problems with the line of Compasses. But being spring loaded it may be harder to see. By the way it not shaking you do but a slow but forceful twist, left right and top bottom giving delays in this so that it can be observed from under with a light in the hands of an observer.

I have not seen the ball joint listed separately by the way only with the control arm but look at the pivot point of those arms for movement at the bushings since they all are early failure points.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 49 Old 04-09-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

ok i was super busy today...did just about everything except check out the compass ill report back when i check it out
post #6 of 49 Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 AM

I have the same exact problem with my wifes 07, I even have a little steering wheel shake at 70mph, but I can slightly turn the steering wheel and it stopps......lol. Good luk let me know what you find.
post #7 of 49 Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM

Garage
Vehicle inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by numskull View Post
I have the same exact problem with my wifes 07, I even have a little steering wheel shake at 70mph, but I can slightly turn the steering wheel and it stopps......lol. Good luk let me know what you find.
If your '07 is newly acquired, I hope you had a good inspection done. If not you seriously need to have the front end checked by a mechanic.
If you have not yet done suspension repairs there is a very serious possibility that you need repairs.
Worn steering components are dangerous!

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #8 of 49 Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM

We've had it about a.yr now. I know i need tierod ends i usually do my own work on my cars, i don't trust stealerships around here, plus i build engines and play around with a lil drag racing so its not that bad. Is there good after market suspension part to replace these factory ones with?
post #9 of 49 Old 04-11-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

ok found the links for the BJ and tie rod end replacements for anyone who doesnt wana look for em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YMtg6BWzwk&feature=fvsr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCyK3...feature=relmfu

after reading alot more on front end problems and other issues and the way chrysler has been treated its cutomers...i would sell this car if it were mine. my girlfriend really likes it but shes still making payments on it and has to spend all this money on the front end.

the thing im most worried about is the trans. i mean what the heck, i looked in her manual and it says tio take it to the dealer to have them check the fluid???? ur telling me i cant even check the fluid level myself??

alright im getting close to starting a rant here. so we were out all day yesterday and it was dark by the time i had a chance to look at the car so again nothing got done.

I dont wana have her pay the price for OEM control arms or other OEM parts. can anybody reccomend a decent aftermarket brand? there seems to be a bunch of options on ebay
post #10 of 49 Old 04-11-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

watched the all of both vids. the control arms dont look that bad at all to DIY. nothing compared to doing ball joints and u-joints on my truck (dodge diesel with crappy front end parts trhanks to Chrysler...i spent 1000$ in parts in the past yr) still gota call the local dealership with the vin # of the compass just to make sure we dont get lucky with the certified preowned warranty.

based on her symptoms and what others have said im pretty sure that the control arm bushings are bad so my plan (depending on warranty) is to buy the control arms and install them and check the tie rods again and then go from ther.

the clunking is quite loud on both sides of the car so if its still there after we deal with the control arms i guess next step is struts??? never had to deal with this on a car yet anybody have a link to a DIY or is it pretty straight foward?

Last edited by Guinness; 04-11-2011 at 05:15 PM.
post #11 of 49 Old 04-11-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

what do u guys/girls think about these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lower...Q5fAccessories

100$ per control arm with bj and bushings included and free shipping seems like a good deal but it doesnt list the maker

also found these (ive ordered alot of stuff from this site for my commuter car)
http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5/...versal:0)&sv=0

they are doorman brand which ive heard of but i dont think they are really all that big on quality...just my opinion and they are 150$ each

thoughts????
post #12 of 49 Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 PM

I have been researching the front end parts list. Ebay has everything. Control arms from 55.00 per side to 125.00 per side. Ive seen this name brand MEVOTECH, its 124.99, per side. I like parts for a fair price but I'm also scared you get what you pay for, so 55 bucks per side seem cheap. Anyone use anything specific name brands?

As far as my window goofing up yesterday, it seems to have been the regulator.

I have a good friend that works at Advance, and he said if I found the same part (Dorman) parts for the front end on ebay cheaper, he'll match. Good to have friends.

We have 60,000 on this little compass, with all stock parts, I think im going to set aside a weekend and replace, lower control arms (both sides) and outher tie rods (both sides).

I have seen much about the inner tie rods, are those a problem area also?
post #13 of 49 Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

yea there is no way at least that i can think of that a quality control arm (with bushings and ball joint) could possibly be as cheap as 55$. i wouldnt trust that.

just about evrything i have read on tie rod ends is focused on the outers so im hoping inners are not a chronic problem too.
post #14 of 49 Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

got the word back from the dealer. I told them to check if struts, Ball joints/control arms, or inner tie rods ends (outer were already done) were covered at this point with the certified preowned warranty...of course non are covered.

gota poke around a bit but will probly buy those ebay control arms i put a link to a few posts back.
post #15 of 49 Old 04-12-2011, 04:21 AM

Ok, I emailed the guy on ebay about the control arms. Here was his response to my question, what brand are these.

"Thanks for the email, they are made by APDTY in the USA and come with a lifetime warranty."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1813wt_1165
post #16 of 49 Old 04-12-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

thanks bud

i never heard of that brand, i wonder what the restrictions are on the lifetime warranty
post #17 of 49 Old 04-13-2011, 04:53 AM

No prob. I did however find name brand arms for 124.99. I think I will go ahead and redo both sides at the same time. Brings me back to the good ol days when I rebuilt my 74 Dodge Dart fronts. They had very weak frontends also.
post #18 of 49 Old 04-13-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
No prob. I did however find name brand arms for 124.99. I think I will go ahead and redo both sides at the same time. Brings me back to the good ol days when I rebuilt my 74 Dodge Dart fronts. They had very weak frontends also.
I hat to be a party pooper but I cannot figure out if you sources are in Canada or US since there is no footer or signature in your posts. Some don't have the year of Compass either etc.

As for the $100 control arms in the thread it probably what Jeep put in or less $$.

Are these $125 arms from a Canadian jobber?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #19 of 49 Old 04-13-2011, 05:36 PM

Talking

Sry, I added a little info to my profile.

But the arms on Ebay are Dorman for $113.

here's the link,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DORMA...ht_1421wt_1165

Here is the MEVOTECH MS25189 Control Arm & Ball Joint.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEVOT...ht_1000wt_1165

I have heard of both of these companys.

Dorman, is the company that is sold in Auto parts store like NAPA, Advance auto, and Auto Zone. I have looked at their website also.

But my friend at a auto parts store says, that Dormon sells alot of their parts to car factorys, so it may be the same junk as "factory"

MEVOTECH was started in 1982, they are located in Canada.

hope this helps out.

The only thing I havent found is a MOOG brand control arm. Moog is good stuff. Ive used it before.

Last edited by numskull; 04-13-2011 at 05:41 PM.
post #20 of 49 Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Yes I've heard of both OEM's. I have used the Dorman bushings in my Grand Cherokee and they look pretty solid. Mevotech office is in Toronto and appear a solid OEM as well. The links are a help for those looking for these. Neither ships to Canada but other sources must exist here.

Thx numskull, what year is your Compass?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #21 of 49 Old 04-14-2011, 01:18 AM

We have a 2007 Limited. Love it. Lots better than the PT loser..lol
post #22 of 49 Old 04-14-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
We have a 2007 Limited. Love it. Lots better than the PT loser..lol
Very good but should have also been in the signature with South Carolina.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #23 of 49 Old 04-14-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

i just filled out my sig but its not showing up

i would b comfortable buying either one of those brands in the links that numskull posted. gota be better than factory junk that came with the compass and im not buying through a stealership.

now i just have to convince my GF to stop buying new shoes so she will have the money to buy the control arms her tires are wearing unevenly and they are only 2 months old!!! she doesnt seem to care but im anal about that stuff. if im driving a car and knowing im chewing up my new tires with every mile i put on it im gona do whatever it takes to fix it.

ill check back hear to see if anybody has success with the control arms if they get around to it b4 me... hopefully she buys them soon

07 compass 2.4L 4x4 CVT: (all stock)
wifes car...when it breaks its my headache... Located in the US

I agree with the following statement... DO NOT BUY A COMPASS
post #24 of 49 Old 04-14-2011, 05:32 PM

LOL, good luck with that. I made a deal with my wife before we got married about shoes......I wouldnt complain about it, if she didnt complain about me drag racing....works good...lol
post #25 of 49 Old 04-15-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
LOL, good luck with that. I made a deal with my wife before we got married about shoes......I wouldnt complain about it, if she didnt complain about me drag racing....works good...lol
haha yea will have to come up with some kind of deal like that if we get married...maybe for every ten pairs of shoes she buys i get to buy a new turbo for my truck...i'll have a twin turbo setup in no time LOL

post #26 of 49 Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 PM

It has worked for, so far, 10 yrs running....lol
post #27 of 49 Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 PM

So ive been looking around more for some control arms, i have found some and I asked the name brand and here is the response of one seller,

"Hi there, these are by a company called BAW. Made in Taiwan (not china) same company that makes the XRF ball joints."

Has anyone heard of those?

and I also found some "Glode" brand some.....any ideas on quaility?
post #28 of 49 Old 04-27-2011, 05:25 PM

Might I suggest these. Find a local source. http://partsonline.mevotech.com

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 04-27-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Link failed
post #29 of 49 Old 04-28-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
So ive been looking around more for some control arms, i have found some and I asked the name brand and here is the response of one seller,

"Hi there, these are by a company called BAW. Made in Taiwan (not china) same company that makes the XRF ball joints."

Has anyone heard of those?

and I also found some "Glode" brand some.....any ideas on quaility?
yes ive heard of them...

they are a very popular brand for my truck. i was gona buy them but they were on back order for a long time. theyr not the BEST brand per say as far as quality. but (for my truck at least ) they are a good product at a great price.

idk anything about globe brand

post #30 of 49 Old 04-29-2011, 03:47 AM

im gonna go ahead and replace the outer tie rods also, while im doing it all, is MOOG brand good?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in