clunk/bang front end noise and roaring sound when driving - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 10-28-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

clunk/bang front end noise and roaring sound when driving

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and need help. I have 2007 jeep compass fwd and I have terrible clunk/bang noise in front end also roaring sound when driving - gets louder with increased speed. I recently within last 2 months had replaced ball joins, sway bar links, inner and outer tie rods, struts, rotors and pads, control arm bushings. All parts are moog and struts are monroe. Clunking happens mostly at low speed over the bump or when rurning from stop left or right. Roaring sound is all the time starting low at about 20 mph and keeps getting louder when speed increases. Also when up shifting or down shifting steering wheel is turning on its own lightly - smooth jerk feeling/sway? All help appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-28-2015, 09:35 PM

Front strut tower, A-arm ball joint and sway bar links at the front are the most likely cause of a clunk or band noise. Checking for play and movement in all is the process to isolate the source not throwing parts at it.

Note the sub frame is susceptible to rust out and may be the fault as well whether it causes that sound I don't know. Jeep will address this as a separate issue and cover the repair as I understand it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-28-2015, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

All parts you mentioned were replaced and whole front end is tight. I had alignment done after repairs. I'll have to take it to the dealer for sub frame recall but I don't think it had anything to do with my problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-29-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorecrook View Post
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and need help. I have 2007 jeep compass fwd and I have terrible clunk/bang noise in front end also roaring sound when driving - gets louder with increased speed. I recently within last 2 months had replaced ball joins, sway bar links, inner and outer tie rods, struts, rotors and pads, control arm bushings. All parts are moog and struts are monroe. Clunking happens mostly at low speed over the bump or when rurning from stop left or right. Roaring sound is all the time starting low at about 20 mph and keeps getting louder when speed increases. Also when up shifting or down shifting steering wheel is turning on its own lightly - smooth jerk feeling/sway? All help appriciated.
Hey hardcorecrook,

TSB 02-001-06 may relate to your vehicle’s front end noise while turning:

SUBJECT:
Swish Sound Heard From Rear Of Vehicle Over Low Speed Bumps
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a shock cap on both rear shocks.
MODELS:
2007 (MK-49) Compass
2007 (PM) Caliber
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to October 6, 2006 (MDH 0606XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Swish sound heard from the rear of the vehicle. This condition is more noticeable when the
vehicle is traveling over a bumpy road or speed bumps at low speeds.

I would advise you to have the rest of your vehicle’s concerns addressed at an FCA certified dealership. Please let me know if you have any further concerns.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-29-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Clunk/bang noise is definitely in the front end while turning or going over bumps it sounds like something is about to break. Roaring sound is constant with speed increase and it's in the front too. Had all tires replaced as well few months back with same brand I had before. I'm lost at that. I'm suspecting bearings but there is no play in wheels or cv shaft but it's not clicking when turning and boots are solid without any breaks.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-29-2015, 04:57 PM

Roar - from the engine or drive train. If its wheel bearing or such you should hear feel some issue by jacking each side and check the wheels. Left/right wobble in the bearing would indicate its gone and not need to rotate it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-23-2016, 08:39 PM

hello i have a 2007 jeep compass that i have been having some clunk noise when i go over bumps. i put it on a lift and found noise coming from the end of the axle in the front driver side every time i move the wheel back and fourth it seems it is right in were the cvt and axle meet anyone have a idea if it is the cvt or the axle or maybe a motor mount
post #8 of 9 Old 02-24-2016, 01:01 PM

Sway bare links fail on these. If you replace them use MOOG links. Its a long rod going from the sway bar to the trust bracket

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 9 Old 02-24-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireguy View Post
hello i have a 2007 jeep compass that i have been having some clunk noise when i go over bumps. i put it on a lift and found noise coming from the end of the axle in the front driver side every time i move the wheel back and fourth it seems it is right in were the cvt and axle meet anyone have a idea if it is the cvt or the axle or maybe a motor mount
Hey tireguy,

TSB 02-001-06 may relate to your vehicle:

SUBJECT:
Swish Sound Heard From Rear Of Vehicle Over Low Speed Bumps
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a shock cap on both rear shocks.
MODELS:
2007 (MK-49) Compass
2007 (PM) Caliber
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to October 6, 2006 (MDH 0606XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Swish sound heard from the rear of the vehicle. This condition is more noticeable when the
vehicle is traveling over a bumpy road or speed bumps at low speeds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in