Bumper Removal - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 05-25-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Bumper Removal

Whats going on everybody, new to this forum, and to the Compass.

After getting T-Boned in my Ford Explorer sport, I thought it would be a good idea to down grade to a compact SUV, since the 99' Explorer consumed more gas than a modern full-fized truck, hated the CRV, Rav4, but liked the Outlander but not it's price. So I went for the Compass. Got an 07', with very low KM, with 4x4 and all the features except leather. I need the 4x4 becasue I live in the Ontario snow belt, and don't really like being hassled when I need to go out or work because of the weather. The compass isn't as good as the explorer was in the snow, but for the money I save on gas it's worth driving about 10 km slower.

I actually like the plastic interior of it cause its ridiculously easy to clean, and I can make it look brand new with one wipe, so regardless of reviews I liked it.

All this is besides the point, so I ****ed my bumper up on the wall of my work( I used to park the Explorer dead beside it, while going in reverse, and got very good at this) So like third time in, I ****ing take off like a moron; as I did in the Ford, and just BARELY scrap the front right side of my bumper.

I went and sanded it down, researched online, and did a decent job, however there is a defined outline around my paint job, where I taped, and I feel I just need to paint the entire bumper now. I'm too cheap to get the botch job fixed on my own, and I only tried to repair the scratches myself(which I did do) so I could learn, which I did. I bought the Epoxy sandable primer, flex agent, clear coat, ordered my PS2 Chyrsler paint, which matched.

However I think the paint was meant for metal becasue it matches the metal more than the bumper, and I've noticed the bumper is a tad Lighter than the rest of my body, so I thought ainting it would be alright.

ALL I need to know after this long winded intro of me and my problem with my compass is HOW do you remove the bumper.

I have found much on how to do it for the Patriot but **** all for the Compass.

So does anyone know how or has actually done this successfully, and gotten the bumper back properly on.

I really don't want to paint it while its on the body, the wrap job of everything will take forever, and I dont wanna **** up and paint something not meant to be painted.

Any help, and Bon Jovi from Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAOP View Post
Whats going on everybody, new to this forum, and to the Compass.

After getting T-Boned in my Ford Explorer sport, I thought it would be a good idea to down grade to a compact SUV, since the 99' Explorer consumed more gas than a modern full-fized truck, hated the CRV, Rav4, but liked the Outlander but not it's price. So I went for the Compass. Got an 07', with very low KM, with 4x4 and all the features except leather. I need the 4x4 becasue I live in the Ontario snow belt, and don't really like being hassled when I need to go out or work because of the weather. The compass isn't as good as the explorer was in the snow, but for the money I save on gas it's worth driving about 10 km slower.

I actually like the plastic interior of it cause its ridiculously easy to clean, and I can make it look brand new with one wipe, so regardless of reviews I liked it.

All this is besides the point, so I ****ed my bumper up on the wall of my work( I used to park the Explorer dead beside it, while going in reverse, and got very good at this) So like third time in, I ****ing take off like a moron; as I did in the Ford, and just BARELY scrap the front right side of my bumper.

I went and sanded it down, researched online, and did a decent job, however there is a defined outline around my paint job, where I taped, and I feel I just need to paint the entire bumper now. I'm too cheap to get the botch job fixed on my own, and I only tried to repair the scratches myself(which I did do) so I could learn, which I did. I bought the Epoxy sandable primer, flex agent, clear coat, ordered my PS2 Chyrsler paint, which matched.

However I think the paint was meant for metal becasue it matches the metal more than the bumper, and I've noticed the bumper is a tad Lighter than the rest of my body, so I thought ainting it would be alright.

ALL I need to know after this long winded intro of me and my problem with my compass is HOW do you remove the bumper.

I have found much on how to do it for the Patriot but **** all for the Compass.

So does anyone know how or has actually done this successfully, and gotten the bumper back properly on.

I really don't want to paint it while its on the body, the wrap job of everything will take forever, and I dont wanna **** up and paint something not meant to be painted.

Any help, and Bon Jovi from Canada
Welcome AAAOP!

Sorry to hear about your bumper. I have a 2011 and I have not had a chance to take the bumper off yet, so I can't help you, but perhaps some of the seasoned pros on here can help when they come across this thread.

Hope you get it figured out and hope you post some soon of your Compass!

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G
May 2011 Jeep Compass of the Month Winner!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in