Auotomatic transmission doesnt switch after 2 untill releasing pedal a bit - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Auotomatic transmission doesnt switch after 2 untill releasing pedal a bit

Hi
I would like to know please if any of you knows about this issue?
clear from the title, I have the semi automatic 07 sport compass.
recently I have recognized that the auto transmission doesnt function properly, so doesnt switch even if the rpm on its full power untill I release the pedal a little, any help is apriciated

another thing, is it really having such kind of gear that it's transmission might be brocken easily if I use the full power on rpm to race often?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 PM

Garage
do you know a lot about these transmissions? your car isn't broken, it's how it's designed. you have whats called a "continuously variable transmission." what this means is that your car technically has no gears in it, only 2 belt-driven pullies that change diameter to "simulate" gear ratios. they are constantly changing shape inside the trans. what this will do is eliminate the 1-2-3-4 shift that you would normally feel, keeping the RPMs on the engine in the peak power band and allowing the transmission to do a lot of the work. this is why when you floor it, the car stays at the same RPM until you let off the gas. next time you do it, go out onto the road and mash the gas. you'll notice that the RPMs of the engine go right up to redline and stay there. but watch the speedometer. even though you don't feel the car shift, the trans is still doing some of the work, because your car is still gaining speed. if the trans wasn't changing the gear ratio, then your car would no longer accellerate once the RPMs stopped going up.

make sense?
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

well

well some how makes a bit of sense since I am not and expert and not really great at english, but as I understood that its fine with this issue when I press till the end,
ok but as you know there is a secure tick after the end like it stops the pedal then you can still press harder a bit it goes more down.

the issue is with this ok till the red, but I mean even if I am excelerating slowly I see the meter goes more than 3500 rpm and still not switching until I make the same issue which is releasing it for very little amount, I dont think this was happening before to me, well I dont know if this is also normal to get car on 3 rpm while driving for instance 60-70km per hour?
well if its ok tell me, if not you think its a gasket broken issue? or filter and oil has to be changed? do you even change the filter each time you change oil? I mean of transmission, and does the airfilter makes some influence if its a bit dirty?
apologize for such many questions, but I wish to know more about it

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-27-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

So guys any help here please?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compasser View Post
well some how makes a bit of sense since I am not and expert and not really great at english, but as I understood that its fine with this issue when I press till the end,
ok but as you know there is a secure tick after the end like it stops the pedal then you can still press harder a bit it goes more down.

my bmw has a device under the pedal that when you push the pedal it stops it so you don't go full throttle. but you push a little harder and your now at full throttle. i don't know if mb you have this on your car your jeep will actually accelerate faster if you push the pedal release a little bit and then push it again after a while you get use to it. its more then likely not the transmission it doesn't have any gears. it is the same as a snowmobile transmission! making your rev's go over 5,000rpms is wasting gas and your car wont accelerate not to mention it's not good for your engine. hope this answers some of your questions

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
190,000 km (Always in the shop)
Recently Overhauled every link/bushing in the front/rear
20% tint on windows
Lamin-X smoked tail lights
Painted all silver interior trim satin black.
I strongly Reccomend You Don't buy a Jeep Compass!!!!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 PM

Garage
Down-shift mode

Your jeep compass has a cvt transmission that uses a metal belt instead of clutches and gears as in a regular tranny. This is the reason you dont feel gears shifting. Its just a continuously variable system that changes the ratio smoothly. It might take some getting used to. Now it does have a "down-shift" button towards the end of the gas pedal travel which allows for a higher torque ratio in case you want to zip from lets say 60 mph to 100+ mph quickly. I'm not saying that you do this but sometimes I have to do it if I want to pass quickly. Mind you, some cars with cvt's were programmed to give you a feel of shifting gears but I would not want that since in my opinion it does not improve performance but just gives you that old transmission shift feeling.

Now if you really want the feel of gears shifting far beyond what you get with a regular automatic, you should get yourself a car that has a DSG transmission.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-29-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi guys thanks alot for all of you, for trying to explain, I really wish that I would sit in another cvt and try if its the same.
the bothering thing is that I have converted the car to work on CNG gas last week, then we had to test drive, so you know anyway after the car is out of the workshop, you carefully listen and watch each single click or sound or even speed change in the car, thats why I am not sure if it was different because I havent bothered to really think of it.

the thing is that I wanted to be sure that nothing changed car settings or made a computer errors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in