2007 Compass Issues After Fueling - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 Old 02-09-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

2007 Compass Issues After Fueling

My daughter just purchased a 2007 Jeep Compass.

She told me she has been having issues with the car right after fueling up. She describes it as a shudder/runs rough. I've not been with her when it's done it so that's all I have.

After driving a few minutes it runs fine.

What should I be looking at? I'm not familiar at all with the EVAP systems, and that seems to me what it might be related to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-10-2016, 01:13 PM

Hard to say. Check for codes as there are a lot that can generate rough running etc

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-10-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps View Post
My daughter just purchased a 2007 Jeep Compass.

She told me she has been having issues with the car right after fueling up. She describes it as a shudder/runs rough. I've not been with her when it's done it so that's all I have.

After driving a few minutes it runs fine.

What should I be looking at? I'm not familiar at all with the EVAP systems, and that seems to me what it might be related to.
Hey Phipps,

I am sorry to hear about your daughter’s recent experience with her Compass. Did she happen to mention if any light were illuminated in the instrument cluster, when the vehicle is riding rough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-01-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

No lights are coming on. O drove it and sure enough, first couple stops after fueling and it hesitates and runs rough. After a few minutes everything is fine until next fill up.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-01-2016, 06:55 PM

It may be that its over filled with raw gas getting into the Purge circuit.

When fueling is the nozzle well inside the filler? If so don't add more fuel when it cuts out at the pump.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-02-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
No lights are coming on. O drove it and sure enough, first couple stops after fueling and it hesitates and runs rough. After a few minutes everything is fine until next fill up.
Hey Phipps,

If the concern is easily replicated, I would advise you to have the vehicle formally diagnosed at a certified FCA dealership. If you have further questions, don’t hesitate to reach out, via private message.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-03-2016, 12:29 AM

I had the fuel tank replaced and the rollover system replaced. I was told that is the problem. Fuel is getting into the charcoal canister
post #8 of 17 Old 03-03-2016, 12:52 PM

It had to be over filling to get into the small tube at the top of the filler. Then into the evap system.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 17 Old 03-07-2016, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

The fuel nozzle is completely inserted and we stop at the first shut off, no topping off. I did notice a gurgling sound when it shut off the last time I filled it. Sounds like gas was backing up into the fill nozzle. Wonder if there is a blockage in the vent tube?
post #10 of 17 Old 03-07-2016, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.gebelein View Post
I had the fuel tank replaced and the rollover system replaced. I was told that is the problem. Fuel is getting into the charcoal canister

Did they explain why the whole tank had to be replaced? Seems like overkill.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-12-2016, 09:36 PM

no they did not. but they also replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, fuel lines and 2 sensors. they paid for it all under warranty
post #12 of 17 Old 03-13-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Did they explain why the whole tank had to be replaced? Seems like overkill.
There is a problem with the original tanks in some of these aparently. Mine was replaced as well. I had problem filling my tank in various stations. Tee nozzle would kick off even at moderate fuel flow rate. The rep tried to tell me I didn't know how to pump gas. Well I was furious but the tech found a TSB on it and it was ordered and replaced. No problem since then.

Something wrong with some internal flow device in them I gathered.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 17 Old 03-13-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
.....Well I was furious but the tech found a TSB on it and it was ordered and replaced. No problem since then.

Something wrong with some internal flow device in them I gathered.

Thanks!

Do you happen to know the TSB number or a link to it? I'd like to show it to my mechanic.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-13-2016, 01:26 PM

No they look up problems and solutions in their own computers. The found something documented. I presume its still a TSB for the dealer network. If you are having problems filling the tank then its very likely the tank itself.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #15 of 17 Old 03-13-2016, 02:19 PM

Some auto site have TSB history releases on vehicle. i have seen them when researching used vehicles.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #16 of 17 Old 12-22-2018, 08:17 PM

This happens to me when I fill up too...not over-filling. Never happens when I am just adding enough gas to get me where I am going until I get paid enough to fill again. So, I am not "topping off" but going until the mechanism on the pump shuts off. I have become used to this problem and expect it to shudder several seconds after leaving the filling station so to mitigate this, I avoid all intersections or busy streets until it goes through the cycle of humping and bumping while I manipulate the gas pedal to encourage the fuel flow to normalize. After a few seconds or so, it will start to run normally. There have been times that I will stop the gas pump prior to reaching full fill and have not had the problem.
I am seriously disgusted with auto manufacturers who elect to ignore well-documented problems in the interest of $$$. I guess if no one dies as a result of a car stalling in the street, then it's not a problem that has to be fixed by a recall.
2007 Jeep Compass, out of warranty, 261000 miles. Please no comments about me getting my money's worth so I shouldn't complain. If others can benefit from my problems, it's all good!
post #17 of 17 Old 12-23-2018, 02:51 PM

Garage
I find it surprising and a bit amazing that these are still on the road, frankly. The 2007 Compass was the first model year of a poorly conceived vehicle, from a 3rd rate manufacturer, who was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy at the time.
FCA isn't much better now, and The Reign of Sergio the Sweater Man was another dark time.

My thought is that, particularly with their flagship brand of Jeep, they could get a lot of benefit and build brand loyalty by helping owners who are out of warranty. I don't mean they would pay for everything - they can't anyways. But they could provide FSMs for free, they could provide practical write ups on how to deal with the known problems, they could provide the required 'special tools' at nominal cost, and so on. Instead of doing dumb things like bribing union honchos with $22,000 gold fountain pens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in