'08 Compass - Water leaks, not sure where to post - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

'08 Compass - Water leaks, not sure where to post

Ok guys, so I have seen about 6,000 threads on this so far. '08 Compass w/ sunroof. Took it on a trip the first day we had it, and in the sun everything was great. Rain starts, water from the dome light. Clogged drain tubes. Went out to Walmart mid-trip, grabbed compressed air and weed eater line and cleared the tubes. No more leaky dome light! Rained the whole way home, and I noticed the front passenger carpet was damp. Rear passenger carpet soaked. Took it back to the dealership who told me it was most likely water that had been there since before I cleared the drain tubes. Ok, so they cleaned / dried the carpets for me.

Well, today the carpets were almost 100% dry and a light rain hit my wife on the way home. Carpets are wet again in the back, though she said not as bad as the first time. No water from the dome light, so at least that part of the problem is solved. I now have two, maybe three questions.

First question: Is this leak still likely to be from the drain tubes? Is it likely at all that the passenger side tube came off of the drain port or has a bad seal and is still draining into the car? If that is not likely, then where else would the water be likely coming from? A door seal, or a vent somewhere?

Second question: When I reach up under the (closed) sunroof, on both the front left and front right corners during a rain I can feel water coming in past the seal. It is somewhere between dripping and running. It seems like a lot of water. Should I attempt to have the sunroof seal changed?

Last question: Should I choose to replace the seal, is it a difficult process? Also, would recalibrating the sunroof help this issue at all, and should I try that?

It's a real shame we had this issue. My wife and I both really love the thing, and even in spite of this problem I still like the car quite a bit. She is (mostly) happy so I am happy. We are having the fuel filler neck problem as well so we are working with the dealership to get it resolved. They have so far been willing to do whatever it takes to resolve the issues. Is there any hope I will come out of this with dry floors in the end? I am willing to clear the drain tubes whenever they need it, but I also want the procedure to actually accomplish something!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-10-2016, 01:19 PM

Well it shouldn't happen with a properly designed sunroof. But always a risk.
I'd take it back to the dealer. Clearly the sunroom is leaking as well you may have door seal issues which require inspection.

Its not good getting the seats soak even once in my opinion. if you get mold started its going to be a nightmare. Get them to sort it out the sooner the better.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-10-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

I had it to the dealer several times over the week, and I think they finally managed to work out the issue. The latest service tech that worked on the car told me he found leaks in both drain tubes. He was able to correct the leak in the left drain tube, but he ordered a new drain tube for the right side. Hopefully stops the issue. We are also unable to fill the fuel tank normally. The fuel keeps backing up into the neck and shutting off the fuel flow. The techs have blown out all the vents and changed the purge valve on the evap canister. Has anyone else experienced this one with their Compass and got it resolved? Thanks for the answer tripplec. I was beginning to wonder if anyone actually reads these boards anymore lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-10-2016, 01:42 PM

Yes, I've had everything happen to mine pretty much that can.
There is a TSB on the gas station nozzle kicking off not able to fill without a very slow rate. There is some valve inside the tank that either malfunctions or defective. I had my tank replaced which was the fix. NEW GAS TANK.

For this to be a great car almost all wear item need to be replaced with quality parts to start with. I was a Chrysler owner from 72 and this is my last. I had a Grand Cherokee 2002 still in good shape with just under 300k kms. Sold it when I bought the Sante Fe AWD I drive. The Compass is my wifes choice. LOL

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in