violent clunking - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 07-11-2016, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy violent clunking

Hi everyone. I am new here. Thank you in advance for reading my post and offering any advice or opinions. I was a long time Mustang owner previously and thoroughly enjoyed the forum communities for advisement..and sometimes just encouragement!

Im in Florida and my Compass is a FWD 2.4, 2008 with 190k miles. Ive had very good luck with it and defend it quite often to know it alls who say its a bad little truck. Its hasnt been for me. I try to take care of it and respect it and maybe thats why its done well for us.

So I recently started getting some really nasty symptoms. The first is a very violent "rhythmic clunking" during braking. Almost like something is "loose" and banging against something solid during slow braking. Its speed related and pressure related. For example...at 30 mph, if I barely put pressure on the pedal, it doesnt start clunking. If I press on the brake about 20%, it clunks violently. When I hear and FEEL it in the steering wheel, I let off the brake and then re-engage the brake and it will go away. I also hear a grinding noise that is also rhythmic at all speeds and increases in speed and volume as I drive faster. It will also changes in volume around gradual turns (right hand slow bending turns at 40 mph makes the sound almost unbearable). Straighten the wheel out and its still there but lessens in intensity.

the last symptoms is the most un-nerving of all. When I let up off the gas at speeds between 30-70mph, the truck (for the lack of a better description), seems to FLOAT to one side fora second or so before "catching" and then being ok. It honestly feels like the freaking truck is floating. Not "play" which is more predictable in nature but more of an "oh crap, I lost steering...then it sort of catches and gets better".

I jacked the car up in the front and held the front wheels at 9 and 3 and gave it a shake. RD side was solid in all directions. RP side had play. When I looked, the whole front shock moved all the way up. The mounting bolts under the hood were solid and fine.

I replaced the tie rod end because it was easy. Still the same symptoms. Will replace the sway bar links because the boots were torn.

Does this sound like a Hub bearing issue in the front? If so, why cant I find the whole assembly for the front when shopping online? all descriptions Im finding say "rear" hub assembly. It seems to make sense to just replace the whole hub rather than mess with bearings and all that. Im new to suspension and front end stuff so please forgive my ignorance. If the whole HUB is available somewhere, Id like to get in local (oreillys, Advance, autozone etc) so I can start the job asap.

thank you so much again Jeepers...I appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Jake in Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-12-2016, 06:09 PM

You might want to have it up on a hoist. It is possible your front frame is rotted out from rust. A more common problem as time goes on and it separates.

Also sounds like the front end is worn out all should be evident checking for movement of all the suspension components.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in