Leaky Sunroof?! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 57 Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Leaky Sunroof?!

Hey everyone!

I went through an Esso touchless car wash the other day for the first time (I usually wash it myself by hand), but anyways, it was pretty powerful and the sunroof was leaking water droplets!!!!! I don't think this is normal, although it doesnt happen in the rain.. has this happened to anyone with their sunroof? I'm guessing I gotta go to the dealer to get it fixed somehow... I'm so mad!!! This doesnt happen with my dad's Jeep

Thanks

My Jeep Compass:
2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 - Jeep Green, CVT, sunroof, driver & security pkg, boston acoustics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 08-06-2007, 10:17 PM

Yeah go to the dealer and have them look at it. Everyone that I've ever known who has had a sunroof had a leak sooner or later - no matter what make & model of car they drove. We were thinking about getting a sunroof but decided not to because I knew sooner or later it would leak.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4X4 (CVT)
post #3 of 57 Old 08-07-2007, 01:15 AM

I love my sunroof I hope it doesnt leak!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 Old 08-07-2007, 01:40 AM

We have has 6 vehicles with sun roof's and NOT ONE EVER LEAKED!
If you had or seen so many leak they would not have much of a value as a trade in add on would they :

2007 Compass Sport, 4X4 Khaki, Sunroof, 26E, Driver Convenience Group, CVT II, SIRIUS radio, Full size spare, YES seats
post #5 of 57 Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farout
We have has 6 vehicles with sun roof's and NOT ONE EVER LEAKED!
If you had or seen so many leak they would not have much of a value as a trade in add on would they :
I know dozens of people with sunroofs and every single one has leaked sooner or later. My co-worker bought a brand new Nissan Altima a few months ago and the sunroof leaked the second day he had it.

post #6 of 57 Old 08-08-2007, 07:47 PM

I have had two sunroof's in the past and they -never- had a leak.

I have a Patriot (same sunroof as Compass) and I've been to the laser wash and through a couple rain storms that put down 2-3 inches per hour. It was completely dry every time.

Do you think that Chrysler would sell an option that would cost them tons of money in future warranty repairs and the bad image? I highly doubt it.

The people with leaks have sunroofs that are defective or were not installed correctly. They need to go to the dealer and ask for nothing less than a leak-free sunroof.

If the problem is wide-spread there will be a TSB or Re-call.
post #7 of 57 Old 08-09-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter44102

I have a Patriot (same sunroof as Compass) and I've been to the laser wash and through a couple rain storms that put down 2-3 inches per hour. It was completely dry every time.

Do you think that Chrysler would sell an option that would cost them tons of money in future warranty repairs and the bad image? I highly doubt it.

The people with leaks have sunroofs that are defective or were not installed correctly. They need to go to the dealer and ask for nothing less than a leak-free sunroof.

Most of the people that I know who have had sunroof leaks had them after their warranty expired, they were all different kinds of cars.
My friend with the Altima had his fixed but it leaked on to his upholstery and stained it.

I'm glad you haven't had any problems. I was just stating what has happened to my friends who have had sunroofs.

post #8 of 57 Old 08-22-2007, 12:11 AM

Patriots Leaking Too

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2498

:!:

post #9 of 57 Old 08-22-2007, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Neely, their problem seems a bit different from mine though, mine doesn't leak in the rain, only when a lot of pressure is put on it, and it leaked from the back side, so I dont know how the water leaked down their controls?? I'm waiting to get mine fixed, but I will definitely have it looked at before I go through another car wash!! I've also been putting my hand up there during rain and its dry, I'm just worried if its a bad rain storm or even snow melting up there in the winter... definitely gotta get it fixed when I get around to it..

This sucks!

My Jeep Compass:
2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 - Jeep Green, CVT, sunroof, driver & security pkg, boston acoustics
post #10 of 57 Old 08-25-2007, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

*sigh*... it really leaks, even in the rain now It hadn't leaked in the rain before, but today it was raining heavy, came back from the mall, and the little tray thing that I think is there to hold water in case the sunroof leaks, was full of water!!!!!! I'm so mad, and apparently I'm not the only one with this problem. I seriously suggest anyone with the sunroof to go through a powerful carwash to make sure yours does not leak! I'm calling the dealer tomorrow and I hope they can fix it tomorrow since it'll be raining for a while now ... I hope this is all I have to deal with.

My Jeep Compass:
post #11 of 57 Old 08-25-2007, 04:11 AM

Sunroofs... great when they work but most of them seem to leak sooner or later. At least you're still under warranty so they should be able to fix it for you.

post #12 of 57 Old 08-25-2007, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I figure if something is gonna break like this, it usually happens right away. It's defective. It just pisses me off that they take 11 weeks to build this damn thing and they can't even get it right. Aren't these things tested before they go releasing it to the customer?!

My Jeep Compass:
post #13 of 57 Old 10-07-2007, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Well just to update.... they replaced all the seals, I told them to make sure it was fixed, they gave me attitude saying "I dont trust them"... then I get the car back with a huge scratch on the bumper which they did not tell me about, so i bring it back for repainting, which they fixed.

Anyways, sunroof is still leaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can feel water coming directly from the corner of the sunroof, then it spilled through my domelight again and onto me! It didn't start out this bad. I have no idea what the problem is, and I guess neither do they. I don't know what to do at this point, but ask them to replace the whole damn thing this time since they can't figure out what is wrong!!!

This time I am making sure they compensate me for all this trouble and going back to the dealer, wasting time and gas!!

Is anyone else having this problem???

My Jeep Compass:
post #14 of 57 Old 10-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatenacci
Well just to update.... they replaced all the seals, I told them to make sure it was fixed, they gave me attitude saying "I dont trust them"... then I get the car back with a huge scratch on the bumper which they did not tell me about, so i bring it back for repainting, which they fixed.

Anyways, sunroof is still leaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can feel water coming directly from the corner of the sunroof, then it spilled through my domelight again and onto me! It didn't start out this bad. I have no idea what the problem is, and I guess neither do they. I don't know what to do at this point, but ask them to replace the whole damn thing this time since they can't figure out what is wrong!!!

This time I am making sure they compensate me for all this trouble and going back to the dealer, wasting time and gas!!

Is anyone else having this problem???
And this is why I don't buy sunroofs... but I think that a bunch of Patriot owners were having this problem too:

You could always try going to a different dealer to get it fixed. If not I'd make sure that you speak to the Service Manager.

post #15 of 57 Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter44102

Lots more leaks:

post #16 of 57 Old 10-09-2007, 12:54 PM

I left my open on venting on the weekend and it rained. Although it didn't get on my seats, it got into the roof then leaked out the maplights.

2007 Jeep Compass North Ed. Jeep Green
Manual 5 speed, 2.4L 16val 4x2
Boston Sound w Sirius Sat Radio
post #17 of 57 Old 10-15-2007, 01:02 AM

sunroof sucks!!!!!!

okay, anyone with sunroof problems, you are not alone!! Had my 2007 compass in for service 8 week s ago due to water POURING through my domelight (had to hold my coffee cup up to catch it,' which ruined my morning coffee) was told that there wasn't a recall on it but a work order due to new drains needing to be put in. Guess what, eight weeks later, once again I have water POURING through my domelight. My compass has now been back in the shop for over week with my dealer fighting with chrysler over this. Apparently, the new drains were already plugged.
Chryler told my dealer to have me come back on a routine basis to have them cleaned out and the problem would be taken care. My dealer said No way, I was then told that Chrysler has dumped this problem back on their engineers lap! Over a week back in the shop and the problem is still not resolved.
So far now, I am stuck driving a dealer loaner, Ford Taurus! Bad times.
Anybody have any ideas???
post #18 of 57 Old 10-15-2007, 02:48 PM

I've gotten plenty of rain before and since I was a duffus and left mine open. Nothing coming in.
Questions for those who have leaks:

Have you had your Compass over the winter?

Do you use the sun roof often?

Have you haulled stuff on the roof (camping etc)?

post #19 of 57 Old 10-16-2007, 01:56 PM

okay, here is the newest update on what I have been told about my leaky sunroof.
Apparently, now there is a trough or channel that is redirecting the water somewhere else besides the drains. This is causing the water to pool. It never leaks when just sitting still. Only after it is started and you make your first stop the water sloshes forward and pours out the domelight.
I ve been told that installing a new trough should fix the problem but I am really holding my breath.
Rommel543, as to the answers to your questions, I have never hauled anything on top. I do occasionally use the sunroof and I haven't had my Compass through a winter.
I am an avid, loyal Jeep lover and this is my 4th jeep I have owned, I have never ever encountered problems like this and for the first time am really disappointed in the workmanship of Jeep. The only saving grace is that my dealer and service dept. have been wonderful through this.
post #20 of 57 Old 10-16-2007, 03:04 PM

So I went though the car wash last night, one of the touchless highpower ones, before taking the jeep to the insurance company (discussed in a differnet thread). I slid open the shade to see if there was water coming in. When I went under the high pressure sprayers, the ones that would take your skin off if it hit you, there was a slight spray that came in from the front. Other than that nothing. I can't imagine any rain coming down that would match the power of the pressure washer in there.

post #21 of 57 Old 10-20-2007, 12:40 AM

ongoing sunroof saga

okay, the ongoing saga of my sunroof! Of course, the new trough or channel that chrysler suggested to my dealer did NOT do the trick and when I called my dealer back,they assured me that they had found the problem and that my car was now at the BODY SHOP!! WHAT???? But not to worry this was all completely covered under warranty. Finally after 2 weeks in the shop, I got the phone call this afternoon that I can pick it up in the morning. When I asked what the real problem was, I was just told, well, we don't want to scare you but, blah, blah, blah.
Lemon Laws?? I think I'm going to be doing some serious checking into this. I'm REALLY, REALLY disappointed in the workmanship that chrysler put into the compasss.
I'm starting to think that someone was napping in the assembly line for a couple of days when my compass was built. I would be curious to know if others that are having the same problems were manufactured from the same facility and at the same time as my compass.
post #22 of 57 Old 10-21-2007, 10:03 PM

So I guess the lesson here to anyone who is thinking of buying a Compass is don't get the sunroof!!!.
post #23 of 57 Old 10-22-2007, 12:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster
So I guess the lesson here to anyone who is thinking of buying a Compass is don't get the sunroof!!!.
Friday night we had about the hardest rain I have seen, in both force and duration, I was in the car during the storm, and must say that my sunroof maintained it's integrity.

Must admit though, silly me, but twice during the deluge, I slightly openned the roof, mistakenly pushing the roof button intead of the switch to turn on the lights to see if any rain was coming in

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #24 of 57 Old 11-29-2007, 05:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatenacci
Have not heard much lately, how did things work out :

Loved

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #25 of 57 Old 12-01-2007, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

For now I've given up, thanks for asking.. LOL

The water is no longer leaking through the domelight or into the vehicle itself, but water is still coming through the seals.

Their response: It's supposed to do this, the seal is only to keep out wind noise, not water. Water can and will get in and as long as it's draining properly, there is no issue.

Before my drain tubes were kinked or something, and thats why the water would accumulate once leaking through the seals and would pool in the headliner.

Still this makes no sense to me, I dont think water should be coming through the seals at all, but I'm sick of arguing and going to the dealer.

My Jeep Compass:
post #26 of 57 Old 12-01-2007, 12:16 PM

Garage
YIKES!
Poor you.
I cannot believe your story,
No, I know your not making it up . . . but .. .
STILL LEAKING?
SEALS SUPPOSED TO KEEP OUT WIND NOT WATER! :
. . . WHAT BUNK :!: HOW CRAZY IS THIS? :

You have to take this higher if you dealer cannot satisfy you, and how can you be satisfied if water still comes in?
I hope they took care of the bodywork issues at least, but the leak? You cannot let this continue. Your Dad's a mechanic, I am sure he’s told you too that water should not be coming into the cabin through the sunroof or anywhere else. The seals are there to keep it out!

What an embarrassment, imagine an automaker who cannot promise waterproof sunroofs? Like I would run out and trust them with the new Sky Slider Roof on a JEEP Liberty!

This is a very serious problem and from the complaints on this forum as well as Patriot Forums YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
If you cannot get this resolved I am sure that through these forums enough support could be rallied to get so attention from our carmaker.

M - We want to see your happy faces in these forums again.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #27 of 57 Old 12-03-2007, 02:37 PM

Mine does not look AT ALL. It's a bunch of BS that the seals should be leaking. I took mine to a 'No Touch' car wash. Those things have an extreem amount of pressure and I only got a slight spray from the front of the sunroof. I get no moisture at all coming in during the rain.

My suggestion would be take it to another dealer.

post #28 of 57 Old 02-24-2008, 12:41 AM

Re: Leaky Sunroof?!

This is an old thread but I wanted to comment on the sun roof seal. With the design of the sunroof in our Jeeps, the seal will not keep out 100% of the water. This is why there are drain tubes that go from the area around the sun roof down the front. There may be ones in the back as well. This is not a new design and has been used in cars for years.(My old Mazda was set up like this so was my VW.) This does not mean that water will pour in if it is raining, but rather it will drip in slowly over time when it is raining hard. This is why the drains have to be kept clean. For the most part, they stay clean if the sun roof is not left open when the car is parked.

The after market glass sunroofs, that tilt up and down only, typically sit on top of a water tight gasket and indeed will not leak if installed correctly. There are no drains with that design.

There were a couple different caused of the water leaking into the lights. The first was kinked drain tubes during assembly, the second the catch basin. The other issue is probably one of build quality as there appears to have been some serious problems in the Ill plant which would explain the seam problems that Patriot and Caliber owners have reported.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 CVT
Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
post #29 of 57 Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 PM

I also have this same problem(for 8 months) and have had the sunroof replaced 3 times and the windshield twice the roof racks resealed and the drainage tube repaired twice. I am sick of this re-occuring problem and dodges 'well come in when it rains' but if it rains after hours when they aren't open what are you supposed to do. Not to mention the fact that by the time I would get to the dealership I would be soaked and there would be no water in the roof and they would say we can't do anything. There solution was to leave it there... and what I'm supposed to go pay to rent a car until you can 'figure it out' and then I get the car back and it still leaks. I am waiting on dodge canada and jeep to both call me back. Needless to say I have decided to go to CAMVAP (Canada Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan) and try to get my money back and get them to take the car back. I will let you know how it goes. I suggest you do the same unless you want to keep having these problems. Maybe if we all complain to CAMVAP at once we can do something.

Rachel
post #30 of 57 Old 05-10-2008, 11:16 PM

I think I would be going the same route if I were in your shoes.

It sounds to me like the people doing the repair were throwing parts at the problem rather than really fixing it. In your car, they should have removed the head liner and the top rails. Then they should have had a leak expert work on the car. You may have gotten one of the cars that had seams on the roof that were not properly sealed.

There is nothing inherent in the sun roof design that should allow water into the cabin of the car unless there is a clogged drain or a cracked rail.

In my case, knock on wood, no problems at all.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 CVT
Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in