Car shuts off when turning...? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 52 Old 06-06-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Car shuts off when turning...?

I just purchased my 2011 Compass about a month ago. A few weeks ago I was turning onto a street and the car completely shut off. Steering wheel locked, brakes locked; only thing working was my radio. I pulled over and re-started just fine. Because of my hectic work and school schedule, I've been unable to take it into the dealership yet. It has happened 4 times now. Has anyone ever heard of this?! Or does anyone know what might be the problem? It only happens when I'm turning onto a street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM

Garage
I have not had that particular problem, but my 2011 has had a few quirks too. One is that sometimes when I start it up, it is like the key stays in the startup position and does not return to the "on" position and the engine just sits there cranking and won't start until I turn the key back to "on". Sometimes, it does not start and it cranks for a while even when the key doesn't get stuck.

Another weird thing is that when I am traveling on country roads and make a left turn on a big curve, the right wheel makes a screeching noise as if the brake pad is scraping up against the disc.

I am like you and just have not had a chance to take it into the dealer to look at it. The problem with lots of these quirks is that they will NEVER happen at the dealership when they are trying to work on it and figure out the problem. It never fails.

BTW, welcome to the site!

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G
May 2011 Jeep Compass of the Month Winner!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 52 Old 06-06-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

YES! I'm so glad you have that problem also (and it's not just my bad luck); My car doesn't always start first try. Sometimes it'll just sit there a crank for a good 10 seconds before it'll start. I had the same problem with my 08' Compass, only it was worse with that one. It'd take at LEAST 5 tries before it would start. So, finally after taking it to the dealership several times, they replaced the "starter" and it never had that problem again.

I was so disappointed when it happened again with my new Compass

I know as soon as I take this new one to the dealership (which is where I took my last one several times), they're going to think I'm crazy! And they're going to say "Well, we have to witness it happening in order for us to figure it out".... which is almost impossible because lately it's been happening once/week. (And isn't it VERY ironic that it decides to shut off EVERY Monday?).

Thanks for your reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica0016 View Post
YES! I'm so glad you have that problem also (and it's not just my bad luck); My car doesn't always start first try. Sometimes it'll just sit there a crank for a good 10 seconds before it'll start. I had the same problem with my 08' Compass, only it was worse with that one. It'd take at LEAST 5 tries before it would start. So, finally after taking it to the dealership several times, they replaced the "starter" and it never had that problem again.

I was so disappointed when it happened again with my new Compass

I know as soon as I take this new one to the dealership (which is where I took my last one several times), they're going to think I'm crazy! And they're going to say "Well, we have to witness it happening in order for us to figure it out".... which is almost impossible because lately it's been happening once/week. (And isn't it VERY ironic that it decides to shut off EVERY Monday?).

Thanks for your reply!
Well, I suppose that if it shuts off like that every Monday, then just schedule a time Monday at the Dealer to have them look at it and you would have a much better chance of them figuring it out.

Maybe it is communicating with the Jeep Mothership on Mondays, does an update and reboot and it causes that problem? Who-ha!

It would be interesting to see how many others are having these same problems with their 2011's. I think we should send out an APB to new Compass owners and see what they are experiencing with theirs and perhaps invoke a recall or something so that Jeep can fix these problems. The 2011's are supposed to be updated and better than the previous generation (it costs quite a bit more than the older ones too!), so they should not be having simple problems like this.

post #5 of 52 Old 06-07-2011, 01:23 PM

Apb 1

Hi Everyone,

Have a 2011 Compass with 1300kms.

Had the startup symptom once so far, I would describe it as keeping the key in the start position for too long.

Other issue I notice is that on a few occasions, when I reverse or have the wheel turned I feel a tap, like something like a rock is striking the bottom of the car.

I am going for an oil change very soon (about 2k) so I can switch to synthetic oil and will at least have them look. I will mention the starting thing.

"G"

2011 Jeep Compass North Edition
4x4 with CVT Freedom Drive I
Trailer Tow Prep Group
Security and Cargo Convenience Group
North All Seasons Group
5 year 100k Gold Components Coverage (Plan 415)
post #6 of 52 Old 06-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Garage
Hi gbridge!

Yeah, let us know what you find out about it because you described it better than I did about what the key is doing. Seems like this is a more common thing than we might think.

I have not really noticed anything like the reverse or wheel turning knocking on mine, but I usually have the music turned up while driving too!

Speaking of oil change, I need to get mine done too. I am over 5,000 miles already and we just bought ours at the end of March! I have taken a few trips though...

post #7 of 52 Old 07-21-2011, 04:30 PM

Garage
Any news on these issues? Mine just did the key thing. I decided to treated it like a 1980s beater and slammed on the gas! Wouldn't you know that worked. After clicking 2 or 3 times, it fired right up. Because of the current high humidity and heat, I'm wondering it the fuel pumps have a problem.
post #8 of 52 Old 07-21-2011, 06:43 PM

Update

Hi,

I have started another thread for the noise under my car. So far current dealer says nothing loose or to worry about. I am not satisfied, so I will take it back and get the mechanic to come with me for ride.

As for the starting issue, this has only happened twice.

"G"

2011 Jeep Compass North Edition
4x4 with CVT Freedom Drive I
Trailer Tow Prep Group
Security and Cargo Convenience Group
North All Seasons Group
5 year 100k Gold Components Coverage (Plan 415)
post #9 of 52 Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM

Garage
I'm really nervous that at 2K miles, mine has the stalling problem (only did it once). BUT stuff like this should not happen on a brand new car. I had my Honda for 3.5hrs and had only 1 minor problem (at 35K miles).

I hope I won't regret buying a Jeep.
post #10 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 07:33 PM

same issue

I have had my 2011 Compass for 2 weeks and twice it's shut off when making a left turn. I took it to the dealer today and of course....they couldn't find anything wrong with it! Tried to tell me they think it's b/c the jeep is trying to learn my driving habits! What crap!? He says there's nothing they can do!
post #11 of 52 Old 07-26-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwilkerson View Post
I have had my 2011 Compass for 2 weeks and twice it's shut off when making a left turn. I took it to the dealer today and of course....they couldn't find anything wrong with it! Tried to tell me they think it's b/c the jeep is trying to learn my driving habits! What crap!? He says there's nothing they can do!
I guess you need to plot route which are primarily, right turns eh. LOL
Yeah it sucks and if there isn't a service bulletin telling them what to do. They'll never find it unless it get worse.

But more seriously are there any functional issues just prior to the stall. Dash status, lamps, anything unusal electrically. Have you tried double footing with one on the gas and other over the brake to take control. Will more gas in the turn allow it to recover from the stall. Did you press the brake during or before it stalled before. These can all narrow down what might be happening on your ride.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #12 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 01:26 PM

My 2011 Jeep Compass is currently in the shop for the same problem. It has been in there for over a week. They are waiting to hear from people at Chrysler. It is a problem they are having with them! I only had the car 3 weeks. I am extremely frustrated!
post #13 of 52 Old 07-28-2011, 01:52 PM

It seems to be a problem with some of the dealers. There technicians are bound to OBDII results and technical flow charts and service bulletins. A lot can't trouble shoot on their own too feet. Yes, an OBD read is a must but many problems are not code generated and many codes don't identify the problem area only the area not generating the right information.

Finding an dealer further afield with more senior technicians who are old school can back track from your symtom to the likely areas and check them out to see if they are functioning.

Now they just get on the phone and do as the person on the other phone asks them trouble shooting remotely so to speak. Then only replacing parts they are told to if at all.

My last time in I waited 3 weeks for a part and I finally called wondering if they were making them or what. The service rep checked with parts and said they just came in. I am now again 3 weeks for additional parts and waiting to see how long before they contact me to come in. Gone are the days when they had the part in the next day AM it appears.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #14 of 52 Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 PM

dmerrill2

I have a 2011 Compass and it stalled for the first time with less than 200 miles! Took it to the dealer for service where they replaced the crankshaft position sensor. It ran fine for the next 500 miles then it started again. I am waiting on a part (ABS module) to see if this works. It has stalled on 8 different occasions. It happens shortly after starting out in the morning within a mile from my house when slowing down to turn right. I simply pop it in neutral and it starts right up. I am interested to see if others are experiencing this.
post #15 of 52 Old 08-02-2011, 10:16 PM

Garage
2011 with less than 3000 miles dies when turning

My 2011 dies when turning left or right at less than 40 mph. It has done it twice in two months and never set a code. When it dies the traction control light comes on and then goes right back off. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything but said if it happens again to just turn it off and call them to tow it so the computer won't reset and lose the problem. Hopefully we can get this solved one day.
post #16 of 52 Old 08-05-2011, 02:58 AM

Garage
stalling when making a left turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwilkerson View Post
+++++++++++This has something to do with the esp i believe. When the wheel is turned quite a bit and the engine speed is low, the esp cuts power to the engine to prevent a rollover accident. The thing is, the vehicle is not running at high speed. This is some sort of bug in their esp programming imho.+++++++++++Chrysler-Fiat should look into this as it is very annoying sometimes and reflects on quality.
post #17 of 52 Old 08-06-2011, 05:39 PM

I have my new 2011 Compass at the dealer for the same thing! I have had it for 3 weeks and it has quit on my twice! Luckily, I was able to get out of traffic. The computers aren't telling them what is wrong, but, I am not taking it back until I get a new one or they have some answers.
post #18 of 52 Old 08-07-2011, 01:59 AM

Hello! I am new to this Jeep Forum site, so I don't know if I am going to post this correctly... but hopefully it will go somewhere someone will be able to find and hopefully answer! My husband and I bought our new 2011 Jeep compass at the end of June and we have already put almost 3,000 miles on it. I am going in on Monday for an oil change and I need to talk with the mechanics about some problems that we are having with the jeep, but I wanted to do a little research first to make sure that it wasn't an isolated case, which I am finding very quickly that it is not! When we go to turn the vehicle on, every few times it will hesitate to start and seems like it is going to shut off. We have not had it shut off on us yet, but for a brand new car it seems odd that it would already be hesitating. Another issue that I have noticed but my husband has not, is that every once in a while the blinkers will pop on and then shut off as soon as they turn on w/o me ever touching the lever to turn them on or off. I figure that might be an electrical problem, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.
post #19 of 52 Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM

My 2011 Jeep Compass also stalled while in a slow turn - just last week. I have 7,000 km (4,400 miles) on my Compass. I lost steering (it was like steering a boat wheel) and veered into an oncomming lane. Thankfully nobody was there. The engine was off by the time I applied the brakes, and I did notice the yellow traction control light on. I had to put the car back in park, start it and move on. The dealer checked the vehicle and there was a fix for the computer - for traction control. The dealer contacted Chrysler Canada in this process, when they fixed the vehicle. I recreated the scene this past Sunday with a slow turn and my traction control light kicking on. This time the car did not lose power or steering.
post #20 of 52 Old 08-15-2011, 04:19 PM

I smell a recall coming.

That really bad news. Stalling while sitting or while driving is a big enough issue. But when you're in a turn. Just think of it: On/Off ramps, intersections, sharper highway directional road curvers all are a big safety concern. When you loose engine power both power steering is gone and power brakes unless you have a electric booster. These don't to my knowledge and confirmed by the fact it happen.

I'd be very nervous in every turn expecting to turn on Hercules muscles mode to get through it if at all in time. You should report these to the local safety group in your country. I can guarantee you trees don't move if you hit them. The always win even the small ones. Lamp posts give you a big fight but are not solid as are trees.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #21 of 52 Old 09-01-2011, 12:32 AM

Mine did the same thing only when the traction control kicked in. The dealer in Canada called Chrysler Canada and there was a computer fix for the traction control. I still put my foot over the brakes when I turn slowly. This still freaks me out but after the dealer fix has seemed to work. The day before it happened I did drive over 600 km (370 miles) and I do not know if that had anything to do with the stall. I think you should print the comments here in this form about the turning stall and show your dealer. ... Hope this helps.
post #22 of 52 Old 09-01-2011, 02:14 AM

I think I may have had the starting issue today. It totally caught me off guard. I was leaving work, hopped in the Jeep, turned the key & next thing I know it's cranking & cranking with my hand off the key. I didn't know if I had maybe let go of the key too soon or what was going on. Now I'm really starting to wonder what actually happened. I just sat there, wondering what was going on & what I should do & then it started up and ran fine. I started it one more time about a half hour after that and it fired up. I sure hope I didn't buy a bucket of problems.
post #23 of 52 Old 09-08-2011, 02:21 PM

If anyone is still interested in the starting issues, I found out today that the continued cranking is called "Tip Start". It's designed so you just have to "tip" the key forward, to the start position, then let go of the key and the vehicle will do the cranking for you - so you don't have to hold the key until it starts. It will continue to crank until it starts or until 10 seconds have passed. Still doesn't explain why the vehicle takes longer to start at certain times but it does explain the continued cranking.
post #24 of 52 Old 09-21-2011, 10:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy2423 View Post
If anyone is still interested in the starting issues, I found out today that the continued cranking is called "Tip Start". It's designed so you just have to "tip" the key forward, to the start position, then let go of the key and the vehicle will do the cranking for you - so you don't have to hold the key until it starts. It will continue to crank until it starts or until 10 seconds have passed. Still doesn't explain why the vehicle takes longer to start at certain times but it does explain the continued cranking.
Oh, that is good to know that there is at least an answer to the cranking thing. I just wish I knew what it was that made it do it longer than other times. Mine hasn't done it for the last month, but that is also about the same time that the weather finally nudged down below 100 degrees, which it had been for almost 2 months straight without letup, it has been a really hot summer!

FYI, the last time it did do it, in order to "cancel" the continued cranking, I just turned the key all the way back into the off position so that it would stop cranking, let it sit for a few seconds, then try again and it starts right up.

I wonder what the deal is with the shutting off when turning? I haven't had that happen to me yet, but I did have some whine when turning left that was finally resolved.

Last edited by BlackNightling; 09-21-2011 at 10:22 PM.
post #25 of 52 Old 09-22-2011, 12:54 AM

Freezes on Turns

I have had my 2011 Jeep Compass for 3 weeks (500 miles). Today, when leaving work I made a left turn and my car simply froze--steering, brakes, I was terrified! Luckily, there was a very large shoulder and I was able to use my emergency brake to stop. I turned the engine off, restarted it and it then worked fine. I took it in to my dealer and they told me that the computer system needed an update--they said that only my electrical system shut down. I know very little about cars--but an electrical system shut down seems rather major to me. After about 10 minutes they told me I was good to go--but I should bring it back in if it happens again. How re-assurring! I travel very busy streets during prime rush hour. But now I am afraid to drive my car. I think I will contact someone at the corporate level.
post #26 of 52 Old 09-22-2011, 01:09 AM

Good luck on calling them.

I am curious why its only an issue on the 2011 and earlier years such as mine did not have this problem.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #27 of 52 Old 09-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Bought my 2011 Compass a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had any of the problems described here. The (Tip Start) works much like a starter button on other cars. Turn the key and let it go. The key just sends a signal to the computer to crank the engine. So far I have been loving this JEEP. I hope I don't run into the (turn stall problem). I'll keep you all posted.

2011 JEEP Compass Sport 4X4
post #28 of 52 Old 09-22-2011, 07:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCS4X4 View Post
Bought my 2011 Compass a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had any of the problems described here. The (Tip Start) works much like a starter button on other cars. Turn the key and let it go. The key just sends a signal to the computer to crank the engine. So far I have been loving this JEEP. I hope I don't run into the (turn stall problem). I'll keep you all posted.
Lol - me too! I had no clue what Tip Start was until I read this thread. Tried it out this morning and it's kinda cool!
post #29 of 52 Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl3160 View Post
I have had my 2011 Jeep Compass for 3 weeks (500 miles). Today, when leaving work I made a left turn and my car simply froze--steering, brakes, I was terrified! Luckily, there was a very large shoulder and I was able to use my emergency brake to stop. I turned the engine off, restarted it and it then worked fine. I took it in to my dealer and they told me that the computer system needed an update--they said that only my electrical system shut down. I know very little about cars--but an electrical system shut down seems rather major to me. After about 10 minutes they told me I was good to go--but I should bring it back in if it happens again. How re-assurring! I travel very busy streets during prime rush hour. But now I am afraid to drive my car. I think I will contact someone at the corporate level.
I'd be after the dealer and/or look filling against Chrysler with the US APA to repair or buyback the vehicle. Your insurance company would not be too appriciative. I would also report to the safety organations and force recall much like the Toyota fiasco which force them to resolve their problem. Its not a joke when it happens and you should not tollerate it.

If you don't persue it don't complain of even post. I does nothing here and you're living with the problem

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #30 of 52 Old 10-03-2011, 04:31 AM

Garage
Just gonna toss this in the mix as it seems to be the answer behind MANY mechanical/electrical/computer based problems: over-engineering. They (engineers) seem to every year toss in more bells and whistles and motors and communication routes through a vehicle which leaves it that much more prone to breakage. Personally, I'm a HUGE advocate for simplicity and thus am happy with manual windows, locks, etc. Less to break and certainly less complexity to sift through to find the root of the problem. Just an opinion, but otherwise good luck to you unfortunates out there with frustrating problems right now and I hope a happy ending in your future.

I also see a recall in the near future at least on the turning/stall problem. That's HUGE for safety threat!

2007 Jeep Compass Sport
4x4 2.4L DOHC
124,000km

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in