Compass Repairs--Help, Please! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 Old 10-13-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Compass Repairs--Help, Please!

Last night I was sideswiped by a drunk driver on the freeway-thankfully I was fine (my Compass protected me well!), but my brand-new car is pretty scratched up with a noticeable dent in the side. I'd like to get it fixed ( I've literally only had the car for a week), but I don't want my insurance to go up and I wasn't able to get the driver's license plate number. I live in Michigan which is a no-fault state, so even if I had gotten his info I might still have had to go through insurace. Has anyone had to get repair work done for relatively minor scratches and dents? If so, how much did the repairs cost? Did you get it fixed with Chrysler/Jeep or did you go to an unaffiliated mechanic? If you chose to go through insurance, how much did your premium go up? The accident was not my fault and the police report says so, but I'm sure my premium will go up anyhow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-13-2007, 09:57 PM

I'm not from Michigan but I rear-ended someone. Went through insurance (yeah, my rate went up). I got it fixed at the dealer, they did a good job of color matching but it wasn't perfect.

See a couple pics at http://www.myjeepcompass.com/blog/
post #3 of 22 Old 10-13-2007, 10:10 PM

Garage
NEWBIE - YOUR CAR IS BRAND NEW :!: You want it back PERFECT
If you need body work and repainting you really should get the car done by your dealer (or a first rate body shop) . . . none fault accidents usually don't count too bad against your record . . . the accident will be way over the deductable, and often you are covered for a rental replacement. Accidents like this are why you have insurance, that's what I think.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 10-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Well I'm now in the same boat. I had some @$$hole in an Escalade rub me while parallel parking behind me. I'm going through insurance. I have my appointment this afternoon and I'll be posting how it goes.
post #5 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 04:15 PM

Heres the damage.. it's not much but still makes me what to cry :cry:

And the green paint on his Escalade

Insurnace quoted the work at just under $1200.

Buff out the paint on the door. Clean/repair and repaint the quarter panel. Replace the tail light.
post #6 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 04:40 PM

Garage
BUMMER - LUCKY THING FOR YOU THAT YOU WERE THERE AND GOT THE SOB.
Would hate to come back to my car and find some SOB did that and just left.
His fault - his choice to pay cash for your repair and not involve insurance or make the claim, should also pick up rental vehicle for the days yours will be in the shop, too bad, so sad, his rap.
If you found that done by a hit and run, border line call which would be better - to pay your self our of pocket or make claim, as deductable and your bad rap on insurance record would be the concern.

Loved

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #7 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe
BUMMER - LUCKY THING FOR YOU THAT YOU WERE THERE AND GOT THE SOB.
Would hate to come back to my car and find some SOB did that and just left.
His fault - his choice to pay cash for your repair and not involve insurance or make the claim, should also pick up rental vehicle for the days yours will be in the shop, too bad, so sad, his rap.
If you found that done by a hit and run, border line call which would be better - to pay your self our of pocket or make claim, as deductable and your bad rap on insurance record would be the concern.
Actually he was parked directly behind me. My office is next door to his and our receptionist has seen him before. I went to his office asked for the person driving the Escalade and let him know. He didn't even know that had rubbed my Jeep. We went and looked at both vechiles and he agreed that he had hit me.
It is kind of hard to dispute. The passenger side of his vehicle, which is facing the fench, has green paint on it. The diver side of my Jeep has black paint on it.
post #8 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rommel543
our receptionist has seen him before. I went to his office asked for the person driving the Escalade and let him know. He didn't even know that had rubbed my Jeep. We went and looked at both vechiles and he agreed that he had hit me.
Oblivious or just careless . . . NO EXCUSE . . .

I hate being petty . . .
but how about when you are sitting in your car parked in a lot, like before you get out, or just waiting, and somebody pulls in next to you, then opens their door right into your car. . . like don't they see you there, what do you say. . . happened last week and I really got pissed off . . . had to make a remark to the buffoon. . .

BTW . . . You should not forget the receptionist, she deserved a major "THANK YOU".

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #9 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe
Quote:
our receptionist has seen him before. I went to his office asked for the person driving the Escalade and let him know. He didn't even know that had rubbed my Jeep. We went and looked at both vechiles and he agreed that he had hit me.
Oblivious or just careless . . . NO EXCUSE . . .

I hate being petty . . .
but how about when you are sitting in your car parked in a lot, like before you get out, or just waiting, and somebody pulls in next to you, then opens their door right into your car. . . like don't they see you there, what do you say. . . happened last week and I really got pissed off . . . had to make a remark to the buffoon. . .

Some AHOLE did that to me at the post office a few days ago. I was sitting in my Compass waiting for my wife to drop off the mail. Guy pulls up on the passenger side and BAM my car shakes pretty bad. I get out and start yelling at the guy and he doesn't even hear me... the idiot had headphones on! I made him move so I could look at my jeep and THANK GOD there wasn't even a scratch. There was 2 guys that watched him do it too. Idiot.

BTW . . . You should not forget the receptionist, she deserved a major "THANK YOU".
post #10 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 01:16 PM

Garage
I was sitting in my Compass waiting for my wife to drop off the mail. Guy pulls up on the passenger side and BAM my car shakes pretty bad.

Now the Compass is not that much wider than the average auto, but it seems to me that alot of parking lots seem to be making the parking slots that much tighter, I don't know what the standard space that should be allowed to have enuf room for the car as well as openning of doors, but what ever the code is, I think many lots are just giving the minimum. . .
I take effort to park away from other cars, avoiding squeezing into tight places, and walking from more distant spots. . . avoid parking next to scrappy cars, but now it seems we have to also avoid fat cats in the big bright and shinny Escalade types too.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #11 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 03:20 PM

When I first got my Neon in 94 I had an elderly couple park beside me. She was quite large and when getting out of her car slammed her door into mine, then used it as a prop to get out of her car. This cause their car door to saw up and down on mine. I had a gouge in my door 3 inched long right down to the metal. When I approched them they looked at me snotty and kept walking away. I reported it to insurance and suprize, they claimed no responsibility and said that I had parked too close to them (although I was there first and was infact walking back to my car when this happened). I paid my $200 and got the door re-painted.

I'm starting to think that nerf bars would be a good idea.
post #12 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 04:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
When I approched them they looked at me snotty and kept walking away. I reported it to insurance and suprize, they claimed no responsibility and said that I had parked too close to them (although I was there first and was infact walking back to my car when this happened).
Such CHUTZPA - I can't believe how little consideration some people can have for the property of others . . . it doesn't only hurt when the car is new, but I keep cars more than 10yrs, and try to keep them up, to have somebody tell you "why fuss, your car is old anyways" is an insult. It is harder to make a fuss as when it is a new car. Just the same, a ding is a ding, and just like if your kid broke their window playing ball, you'd be responsible, these careless SOBs should also be.

SIDEBAR: A friend of mine, when we were just kids, had bought a used Alfa Spyder, and just redone the bright red paint, he comes back to his car in a mall parking lot, and the first ding always is SO apparent, anyways, the car next to his has his fresh red paint on it's door, in the same spot it had hit and dented the freshly painted Alfa . . . my friend was so enraged, and only in his 20's with his 1st car . . . he took his key and started to scratch the words "thank's alot" on the creeps car, he stopped after the "TH" though, realizing what he was doing was so wrong, and fearing getting caught.
Beware, there are a lot of nuts out there.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #13 of 22 Old 10-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Administrator

As so many have said already, just goes to show, people do not care enough about their own cars to care about anyone else's. Kind of reminds me of the accident I had when I first got my Cherokee. I was not even three months into the payments when I was driving to Florida. I stopped at a convenience store. As I was pulling in, I saw a lady in an old Lincoln Town Car. The closer I got, I saw she had been parked in the handicapped spot, right out the door. Well, the farther she backed out, the farther I swung to the right. She still backed into me, and dented my driver/passenger side doors. We exchanged insurance info, and next thing I know, I got my check for $635. Thank goodness, she had good insurance.

But, as someone already said, I park well away from others in parking lots, I don't care if it is raining or what (Jeepers don't mind the rain), and I sure as heck don't park next to crappy cars (obviously they do not care about their vehicle, and must not have paid much for it), so they sure as @#$% don't want to see what I would do to them if I caught them!!! Time to open up a can of whup &#$!!!

Either way, still a crappy thing to have happen. Sorry to hear about that, and good luck whatever happens.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #14 of 22 Old 10-22-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
When I first got my Neon in 94 I had an elderly couple park beside me. She was quite large and when getting out of her car slammed her door into mine, then used it as a prop to get out of her car. This cause their car door to saw up and down on mine. I had a gouge in my door 3 inched long right down to the metal. When I approched them they looked at me snotty and kept walking away. I reported it to insurance and suprize, they claimed no responsibility and said that I had parked too close to them (although I was there first and was infact walking back to my car when this happened). I paid my $200 and got the door re-painted.

I'm starting to think that nerf bars would be a good idea.
This post reminded me of when I was a teenager, working at a pizza joint. There was an order for pickup and the person who ordered was told to come in 20 min to get it. After 45min passed, we were starting to think that person wasn't going to bother showing up but then in comes this little old lady of about 80 or 90 (she was so wrinkled her lipstick was running). She seemed a little flustered and immediately apologized for being so late. She then went on to tell me why. I guess on her way, she hit someone's car and proceeded to drive off without stopping. The owner of the car that was hit chased her down, got her info, and I guess probably gave her a few choice words. She motioned with her fingers a scratch about 3" in length that was left on their bumper. I asked her why she didn't stop in the first place and she says, "I thought that was what bumpers were for."
post #15 of 22 Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreatheJeeply
she says, "I thought that was what bumpers were for."
More than likely when she started driving that was the case. All the cars had metal "bumpers" that if you gave each other a slight bump it wouldn't hurt it. Cars now don't have "Bumpers" any more, they have plastic air foils over gas shocks and crumple zones. I keep correcting my kids when they call them bumpers now, I tell them thats the front end or back end of the vehicle. If they don't get the idea that they can bump something with them, then hopefully they will be a little more carefull when the start driving.
post #16 of 22 Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 PM

Update to the insurance dealings. I got a phone call on Friday from my adjuster and apparently the guy in the Navigator is disputing the accident. So I have to go in this Wednesday to get messurements done.

I'm not 100% sure what he is disputing. As you can see in the pictures that I submitted I have the black paint on my Jeep, he has the green paint on his Navigator in the corrisponding wheel well. If he is going to try to disput and say that I hit him, then I would litterally have had to drive over the sidewalk, up a 3ft 80deg incline, through a fence and hit him with the backend of my Jeep, THEN clean it all up so that it never happened except for the scraps on our vechiles.
post #17 of 22 Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM

New Update...

So the guy in the Navigator states that he hit a pole in the summer (that happened to be green) and that the scraps on his quater panel are from that. Also the insurance company is stating that the scrapes on my vechile don't quite line up with the scrapes on his vechile. This is derived from photographs taken at 2 differenet insurance claim centers. The insurance company now states that the damage is inconclusive.

People like that just pi$$ me off! :evil:
post #18 of 22 Old 11-15-2007, 04:43 PM

Can you ask your insurance co to bring both vehicles in at the same time?

My car was a victim of a hit and run in front of my house. The neighbour (old lady) backed her van out of the driveway into the door of my car and took off. Luckily another neighbour noticed and told me about it. I filed a police report, but she denied it. So they had an appointment to put the vehicles side by side but she didn't show. In the end I got it repaired for free and she was pissed because she was found to be at fault.

Not long after that I got a parking ticket for having my vehicle sitting on the street over 48 hours. I was out of town. I'm not on a busy street and I've never heard of this happening before so I suspect that lady called the City to complain. Oh well, at least she didn't back into my car again LOL. B**ch.
post #19 of 22 Old 11-15-2007, 05:19 PM

Garage
Payback's a B*tch :evil:

I believe in "paying forward" and "what goes around comes around" . . . I'm sure she'll get her's and so will the lying Navigator owner somewhere along the line.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #20 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 AM

Re: Compass Repairs--Help, Please!

Hi all..
Unfortunatly, I was one of the ones, less than 48 hours after I bought my new Compass home, my sister's boyfriend backed up into it! I did get it fixed though, as good as new now! I swear, new cars have a sign that says "smash me" on it... lol
post #21 of 22 Old 04-25-2008, 03:56 AM

Rommel
Get a quote from a body shop but say your paying for it yourself. It should be much cheaper. If they know the insurance company is paying then the quotes go way up.
post #22 of 22 Old 04-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Well we still haven't gotten it fixed, washing the jeep helped. The scrap isn't to the metal so there's no worry about rust. A buddy of mine who used to work in a show said the would probably put a thin coat of puddy on it to hide it then repaint the quarter panel. Think I'm going to talk to the guys at my dealership and find out what they say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in