2017 Rear door handles - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 03-05-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2017 Rear door handles

Hey everyone,

Looking for long term outlooks on these - on the 2017 Compass there are plastic door handles for the rear doors - that while they are visually appealing do not feel like the sturdiest things out there. So our 2017 Compass was certified pre-owned and we got her a year old and with 14600ish miles on her - the right rear door handle works PERFECTLY - does not take much to open, can open if pulled from top, middle, bottom, happy with that door. the left rear door opened fine when pulled from the bottom, half the time from the middle - 100% fail from the top - I believe when it was going through its certification check they may have pulled from middle or bottom and never saw the problem.

So we take her back to the dealer - first time round they agree sure seems like an issue - order part and change it. Part they changed APPEARED to be the handle from what I saw when we went back and it still had the exact same problem and the service advisor went and pulled the old core part to show me what was changed - ok fine they order another part we schedule to go back.

Round two - FAIL again - exact same problem - this time things get surreal - the service advisor has a tech come to explain what was done and what is going on - this "master tech" says - hey this is a molded plastic part that can tweak over time, you are opening it wrong and it should always be opened from the middle (please note we have had the vehicle 3 weeks at this point) he goes on to say that what I showed him as 100% pull from top failure that also seems to pull farther than the other side - is simply related to the doors having different molds and that is the way it is. I ask to see if any other vehicle on the lot has same doors because I am having GREAT DIFFICULTY believing this is working as intended - conveniently no other similar vehicles are found - I insist again that they try to address - they order parts and tell us to return the following week.

Round three - FINALLY - so this time we get the original service advisor who had agreed there was a problem - he took the time to look again at this issue - explained what parts were ordered - and agreed that there is still a problem - I also mentioned that on my own time I had found a few other compass owners who ALL agree my door handle is not working right and showed me their handles working fine on similar vehicles (2017 Compass 4x4, 2017 Compass Sport FWD). This time they put in a new handle and found a pin that appeared to be recessed down too far when compared to the working right side - door now works 95% of the time from top 100% middle and bottom.

Other owners with similar rear door handles - long term have these handles been an issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-20-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Been a little bit since the fix and the new door handle has been working fine. Will continue to keep a close eye on both sides but we are much happier with the way things are working now.

just a few other gremlins to work out but so far shaping up great!

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in