2007 Jeep Compass Engine Whine - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 09-09-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2007 Jeep Compass Engine Whine

So today I was blessed with yet another problem with my jeep I have dubbed Killary. For months now I've been diagnosing/fixing problem after problem with this thing and I have met my match it seems. Today I noticed while accelerating from park to slow speeds in either forward or reverse I hear a pretty loud and distinct whinning/whirring noise. Sounds like a typical bad bearing, I just have no idea from where. This happens only when accelerating, no noise at idle at all. Even if i step on the pedal while parked and rev it up, still no noise. Only when moving will it start to complain. Also to my surprise when I pulled over to listen and take a look I noticed it was also leaking a considerable amount of oil. Hard to tell where it's coming from but the bottom of my engine is covered in it and it seemed to be spitting it out rather quickly; steady thin strand of oil coming down from engine (Roughly underneath where my belts are), not dripping. So I brought it home and when I got it home, it was now dripping slowly and not a thin continuous stream anymore. Naturally I thought well maybe it spit most of the oil it had in it out, not the case. When I checked my oil it was definitely lower than it should be but it was still almost coming up to the "safe" line on my dipstick. So there was still plenty in there to keep spitting out but instead it was just dripping slowly this time. So... I have a considerable oil leak that both leaks fast and slow coming from somewhere underneath my belts at the exact time that this new sudden whine/whir has started when accelerating. Are they linked or is this a coincidence and I've been blessed with 2 different non-linked problems at the same time? Any and all help is very much appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by EmptyPockets; 09-09-2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-11-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyPockets View Post
So today I was blessed with yet another problem with my jeep I have dubbed Killary. For months now I've been diagnosing/fixing problem after problem with this thing and I have met my match it seems. Today I noticed while accelerating from park to slow speeds in either forward or reverse I hear a pretty loud and distinct whinning/whirring noise. Sounds like a typical bad bearing, I just have no idea from where. This happens only when accelerating, no noise at idle at all. Even if i step on the pedal while parked and rev it up, still no noise. Only when moving will it start to complain. Also to my surprise when I pulled over to listen and take a look I noticed it was also leaking a considerable amount of oil. Hard to tell where it's coming from but the bottom of my engine is covered in it and it seemed to be spitting it out rather quickly; steady thin strand of oil coming down from engine (Roughly underneath where my belts are), not dripping. So I brought it home and when I got it home, it was now dripping slowly and not a thin continuous stream anymore. Naturally I thought well maybe it spit most of the oil it had in it out, not the case. When I checked my oil it was definitely lower than it should be but it was still almost coming up to the "safe" line on my dipstick. So there was still plenty in there to keep spitting out but instead it was just dripping slowly this time. So... I have a considerable oil leak that both leaks fast and slow coming from somewhere underneath my belts at the exact time that this new sudden whine/whir has started when accelerating. Are they linked or is this a coincidence and I've been blessed with 2 different non-linked problems at the same time? Any and all help is very much appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Whine could be the alternator. It has a special clutch in it that goes bad. Generally, the whole alternator is replaced as rebuilding the clutch costs as much and takes time. Just had mine replaced 6 months ago. Fixed. As for the oil leak, don't have any ideas. Go under and check the pan gaskets. Mort
post #3 of 3 Old 09-11-2018, 03:42 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Are you sure its engine oil and not CVT fluid? Worn or low tranny fluid can make a whine, though I'd call it a more of a scream, especially when its hot. I had a Patriot CVT and my tranny leaked. Dealer took care of it under my lifetime warranty. I'm making this guess because you said it doesn't make any sound at idle when you're in Park. If you're only getting the whine when you're in motion it may not be your engine.

Good luck, hope you find a cheap fix.

Last edited by Jasmine; 09-11-2018 at 03:47 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in