My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Warning lights, any thoughts about what may be wrong?

5K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Jasmine 
#1 ·
I dropped mt 2014 compass off at a dealership Sunday. I left this note. I live about two blocks from where I work; so I am not under any real stresses about getting it back soon. My biggest concern is the issue being covered under the aftermarket warranty. I am just wondering if anyone has any thought as to what is wrong.

The letter:
Service Department;

I have dropped off a 2014 Jeep Compass, license number XXXXXX.

I have two sets of information: there are three warning lights and two observed issues. All of the indicator lights came on yesterday morning, 9 Sep 2018.

Warning Lights:
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)
  • This light came on after starting the car and has stayed on since.
  • Electronic Throttle Control Indicator light (ETC)
  • This light begins flashing approximately a minute after the vehicle is started.
  • It is beginning to flash after the vehicle is in drive and moving. I have not checked to see if it is beginning to flash before the vehicle is put in drive.
  • Electronic Stability Control Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light (ESC)
  • This light turns on approximately a minute after the vehicle is started.
  • It is turning on after the vehicle is in drive and moving. I have not checked to see if it turns on before the vehicle is put in drive.
Observations:
  • When the ETC is on:
  • The idle is high
  • The vehicle runs rough
  • This summer, with no warning lights on:
  • I noticed that the vehicle was running a bit rough when heavily loaded and at highway speeds.

I have provided you a copy of the information sheet for the vehicle's warranty provider. It states that AUTHORIZATION IS REQUIRED PRIOR TO THE COMMENCEMENT OF ALL REPAIRS.

I can be contacted, by phone, . . .
The forum striped the bullets off; but I think you get the idea of the formatting. I do know they haven't started on it yet. Any thought as to what may be wrong?

#4 ·
What I found interesting was that it started fine, and started moving fine. Then when the indicator lights went on, I suspect it entered a fail-soft mode and started running terribly. If I restarted it the pattern was the same, began fine then the warning lights went on and the poor running again. I will share when I get it back.

#7 ·
Following up with what I know, The dealer has advanced it to a "Star" case. That apparently means that they submitted the results of their testing to Chrysler Engineering. They are waiting for word from them.

It is almost a guessing game for me at this point. The reason I sort of rule out the cat is that when the one on my Samurai (the only car I have had a cat go bad on) it ran bad on startup. It was blowing gas out of the stringed expansion section between the header and the down pipe. Of course, that was an extreme case of near total blockage.

Like I said, it is still a bit of a guessing game; but apparently the dealership doesn't know the answer either.

#10 ·
Looks like you've got a good dealer. Some would have charged you for the catcon first, then when you came back they'd charge you a bundle more for diagnosis before fixing it (or failing to fix it). It's nice when the dealership gets it right the first time and doesn't just throw parts at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.