coolant draining very fast - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 10-10-2018, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

coolant draining very fast

hi guys...i dont know whether this a technical problem, but thought i would post it here...i have just had a new water pump fitted to my jeep compass, and over less than 24 hours, i have had to put 5 litres of coolant in the reservoir, it just keeps taking it...may it be that the mechanics did not replenish the coolant when finishing the job?,( which i would assume they would have to do)...i could not check the rad' level because i cant find the rad' cap.

cheers team
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-10-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbow1415 View Post
hi guys...i dont know whether this a technical problem, but thought i would post it here...i have just had a new water pump fitted to my jeep compass, and over less than 24 hours, i have had to put 5 litres of coolant in the reservoir, it just keeps taking it...may it be that the mechanics did not replenish the coolant when finishing the job?,( which i would assume they would have to do)...i could not check the rad' level because i cant find the rad' cap.

cheers team
What is the model of the car? On the second gen, rad cap is on the overflow bottle. So there isn't one on the radiator. Anyway, I highly doubt they would forget to add coolant. But they might have gotten lazy and not completely bleed the air out out. If the drop in coolant level eventually stops, it is probably the case.

In either case, check the hose fittings and etc. for leaks and/or residue build up. Although at a rate of 5 liters in 24h, you would see a poodle under the car. Just to be safe, also check the engine oil for coolant and check the exhaust for white smoke. I highly doubt changing water pump can cause the coolant to leak inside wngine block, but if it is not going anywhere else, it can be there for some weird reason.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-10-2018, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

hi Tripod.... it is a 2011 crd 2.2..there is no puddle at all under car, not a drop, i check regularly....no white smoke or water from the exhaust, and the engine oil has no coolant in it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-10-2018, 12:55 PM

Garage
aftre the 5L does it need more? has it settled down?

i would be talking to the mechanic

2018 Compass Latitude
post #5 of 10 Old 10-12-2018, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

no, i only had to put the 5l in, it recently seems to have settled down..it has stayed about an inch 1/2 from the bottom for couple days now...the temp' gauge reads normal...all this from having a new water pump fitted.

i am taking it down to the garage today and giving them 4 days to identify the issue and fix it, i have hired a car for 4 days....the big question is....where has all that coolant gone?
post #6 of 10 Old 10-12-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:
no, i only had to put the 5l in, it recently seems to have settled down..it has stayed about an inch 1/2 from the bottom for couple days now...the temp' gauge reads normal...all this from having a new water pump fitted.

i am taking it down to the garage today and giving them 4 days to identify the issue and fix it, i have hired a car for 4 days....the big question is....where has all that coolant gone?
They probably didn't bleed the air out of the radiator after replacing the pump and you basically did that.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-12-2018, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

they said they left it running for an hour, they said this would bleed it..they then topped the coolant up , it took 1 1/2 litres to top up
post #8 of 10 Old 10-12-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
they said they left it running for an hour, they said this would bleed it..they then topped the coolant up , it took 1 1/2 litres to top up
Did they turn on the heater? Otherwise air might have gotten trapped inside the heater core, although I am not sure if it would take that much of coolant. If the coolant is not leaking inside our outside and if it is not being burned, the only explantion is that they didn't fill it up completely
post #9 of 10 Old 10-12-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

the heater and aircon where blowing out loads of hot air, i witnessed it...please excuse my ignorance Tripod, but would the coolant be able to make its way to the sump?.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-12-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
the heater and aircon where blowing out loads of hot air, i witnessed it...please excuse my ignorance Tripod, but would the coolant be able to make its way to the sump?.
It can. But you said there was no coolant inside the engine oil, so that why I assumed it wasnt the case.

Your engine oil will turn "chocolate/caramel colored" if there is coolant in it. Also, there will generally be "milky" residue under the oil fill cap when you remove it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in