Loud growling noise from rear; both bearings already replaced... Bad rear diff/RDA? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 01-20-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Loud growling noise from rear; both bearings already replaced... Bad rear diff/RDA?

I have this wicked loud growling noise that increases volume with speed. I have replaced both rear wheel hub bearing assemblies (did the rear right yesterday) and still have the noise. I drained the front and rear differential fluid and replaced it with fresh 80W-90. The front fluid came out almost new and the rear fluid was black.

Is it either a bad rear carrier/differential (RDA) or bad CV shaft or a bad center shaft bearing?

RARELY the noise will stop IMMEDIATELY for a few seconds then come back. Like an on/off switch for the extremely loud grinding sound. Before I drop $200-300 on a used rear diff I would like to know if anyone has some experience with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-19-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

I spent the $200 for a used low-mileage rear differential ("carrier assembly"). What a pain in the ass to install. I had to drop the exhaust, drop the rear sway bar. Lower it down and yank the CV half shafts from it. Re-install. I almost went blind when I was cutting the exhaust clamp with my cordless grinder; a piece of debris bounced and made it past my fast shield. What a real pain in the butt job. Took me like seven hours. I need to get a new band style exhaust clamp as I had to cut the OEM one off as the bolt was super rusted.

Here is the best part. EVERYTHING I DID WAS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. I replaced the right-rear hub bearing last month thinking it was causing the noise. Nope wasn't that. TURNS OUT IT WAS THE OTHER SIDE. Yup. I replaced that bearing with a Moog in July 2018 (3yr warranty). That miserable piece of crap wasted so much of my time and money.

Yes I did the "wobble test" on all wheels twice to see if there was any play and there never was. Until today.

After I finished the job I still had it on four jacks so I put it in drive with the new rear diff. It sounded like hell still. So I shutoff the engine and go to the rear and manually spin the tires. Yup - I could actually feel how bad the left-rear bearing was. Wobbles like crazy too. I wish I would have did the "wobble test" to check for play earlier this morning before I started ripping everything apart. What a mess. I just initiated a return for RockAuto for the two new CV half shafts and am trying to negotiate a return of the rear differential to the seller. Might not be worth it considering the high cost of shipping...

2012 Compass Sport 4x4
post #3 of 3 Old 02-19-2019, 03:41 AM

Aye, thats the frustrating way it goes sometimes At least you got to the bottom of it eventually.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in