Drifting To The Right Question - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 04-20-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Drifting To The Right Question

I have a 2017 Jeep Compass Latitude and ever since I bought it used with new tires installed it has drifted right no matter how equal I keep the tire pressure. I finally took it in for an alignment and they said everything was fine with the alignment and that they could not adjust the caster any further to compensate unless they put in a screw to further adjust. They said it would not affect the tire wear and that it is uncommon but they have heard of it and the only explanation was wear on the caster. Would replacing the caster fix this (was not mentioned) or is this something that is true by what they said?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 12:31 AM

Garage
Rotate the tires and see if anything changes.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 02:15 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

The caster is not a part, its an adjustment to the angle of your tires. https://explorationoutfitters.com/pa...-toe-explained. What your mechanic is saying is it can't be adjusted any further than it is. How many miles on your Compass? Did you buy it new? If you're still under warranty they should do whatever is needed to make it track straight. FCA will be paying them to do it. As time goes on its gonna be scrubbing tread off your tires. Depending on how strong the pull is, it could be a safety issue on a wet or snow-covered road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 PM

Garage
only time i have had this in a vehicle was when the wheel bearings were going bad

2018 Compass Latitude
post #5 of 5 Old 04-23-2019, 01:05 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
only time i have had this in a vehicle was when the wheel bearings were going bad
That would do it, but wouldn't the tires shop bring that to the owner's attention? They should want the work. I'd be more afraid of a shop recommending work I didn't need than avoiding work that I did need. If OP needs the work done, its money in the shop's pocket. They'd be nuts not to want to do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in