stutter or trouble accelerating when not at a full stop - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 06-18-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

stutter or trouble accelerating when not at a full stop

Hey everyone!
I drive a 2014 Jeep Compass 4wd (2.4L engine) with 88k miles on it. In September I took it to the dealership because it didn't have a smooth shift from 1000rpms to 2000rpms. They couldn't get it to replicate my problem. I drove around with the guy at the dealership and did get it to do it. They told me to change the ignition coils and spark plugs. I did that. Around January or so, I was driving and my check engine light started flashing. I plugged in my OBDII scanner and it threw a code for a misfire in cylinder 3. I changed the ignition coil again and it went away.

Recently, after driving for over a half hour, it will stutter when I am accelerating after slowing down (i.e. when someone in front of me turns and I have to slow down then accelerate again). It does not do it on short distance drives. I thought it might be the throttle body but my check engine light isn't on and the light for the throttle body is not on. Any ideas or suggestions? I have looked online and some people think it's the ECM.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-18-2019, 09:49 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

It may not seem related at first glance, but how are your tires? I had a Jeep Patriot (sister to the Compass) and I had a problem similar to yours: it would accelerate fine from a stop, but if I was speeding up, e.g. entrance ramp, or approaching a hill and I had to give it more gas, that's when I had the problem. I never bothered with the coil paces (they went the distance -- 300,000 miles) but I did change the plugs (simple task) and the problem still persisted.

Now about those tires. At that time I had good rubber on the front, and well-worn tires on the rear; if memory serves one set or the other may have been under/over-sized as well -- I forget which. When I got new rubber all around the problem went away. I think the different tire speeds were confusing the ECM. As long as my tires were the same size and evenly worn there was no problem.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-18-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

I haven't looked at my tires and their wear! I'll look at them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in