How to repair your Rear engine mount - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
How to repair your Rear engine mount

My Compass is now truly a high mileage vehicle.
It has logged over 290,000 miles.
Fortunately the engine and transmission has not developed any serious problems.

In one of my posts I mentioned that I am going to replace the engine mounts. I have started the process by inspecting them and I found that the rear engine mount has broken.

Today I will show you how I fix it. Now, I could have just bought a new mount because they are not that expensive but this time i will try something different. I will fix it.

I began by removing the mount. The mounting screws can be reached from the top using 16 mm socket attached to extenders. To make some room I had to remove the air cleaner box
The three mounting bolts that hold the mount to the sub-frame can be removed with this method. It's not easy because there is little room but it can be done. The thru bolt can also be reached using a socket and ratchet wrench. I also removed the aluminum part that held the bushing. It has 3 bolts with 18mm heads.
In order to do this I jacked up the car and put it on jack stands for safety. The bolts were very tight. So I used some WD40 and a good breaker bar and 18 mm socket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191026_182409.jpg (52.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20191026_182422.jpg (58.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by jeepney_driver; Yesterday at 05:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I cut the ring that holds the rubber part so I can easily remove it. I have seen some people burn the rubber away but I decided not to do that because of the pollution it will create. The heat might also weaken the metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191027_110723.jpg (51.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20191027_110733.jpg (55.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by jeepney_driver; Today at 04:19 AM. Reason: spelling error
post #3 of 8 Old Yesterday, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
After removing the core, I cleaned the inside of the mount shell and also the center metal core using a dremel tool with a drum sander and regular sandpaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191027_110751.jpg (58.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by jeepney_driver; Yesterday at 05:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
After cleaning, I made a jig from a small box. I traced the outline of the inner metal core as weil as the main body onto the box. I cut the outline of the inner core and inserted it into the hole. I hot glued the core and the main body to the box so the poured material does not leak and also to hold the parts in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191027_112511.jpg (30.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20191027_112610.jpg (26.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20191027_114731.jpg (36.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20191027_114745.jpg (26.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20191027_114754.jpg (36.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by jeepney_driver; Yesterday at 05:15 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old Yesterday, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I prepared then poured the new bushing mix into the mount shell. It took 1 cup of the material to fill it up to the brim. No excess or shortage. It will take about 24 hours to cure. When it is done I will paint the parts then install them after drying.
Depending on how stiff the repaired mount turns out I might drill some holes on the bushing material to "tune" it so it does not cause excessive engine vibration. If it is too stiff the engine vibration can be felt on the steering wheel when the car is stopped and idling. Make a note of this in case you decide to do the same type of repair.

If it is successful I will do the same for the side mounts. I have not removed my side engine mounts because I try to fix the most obvious problem. I peeked at the front mount and found that it is not broken.

TOOLS I USED:
HYDRAULIC JACK
JACK STANDS
WD 40
RAGS
SANDPAPER
DREMEL TOOL
FLASHLIGHT
BREAKER BAR
16MM SOCKET
18 MM SOCKET
RATCHET WRENCH
EXTENDERS
HOT GLUE

If your engine bay happens to be very dirty I suggest that you clean it first. There is something about a clean engine bay that makes repairs much easier or even fun and enjoyable. I keep my engine bay clean.

Safety is paramount. Always think safety. If you are not familiar with or have no experience working on cars have a professional or a highly trained person to do it for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191027_145757.jpg (30.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20191027_145808.jpg (34.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20191027_145815.jpg (37.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by jeepney_driver; Yesterday at 07:47 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old Today, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
oK. tODAY IS 28 OCT. 2019

The work on the mount is complete. I cleaned and painted the rear engine mount main bracket
I decided not to paint the mount itself because number one, there is no rust. Number two, to save time.

Though it does not take long for the paint to dry, it was already getting late in the afternoon and I want to complete the job before it gets dark.

So here's a picture of the completed mount. Notice that I put "tuning" holes around the bushing. The original ones have molded cutouts which allow for flexibility. My holes do the same thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191028_115646.jpg (38.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20191028_115404.jpg (28.5 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by jeepney_driver; Today at 03:55 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old Today, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So here is a photo of the painted main bracket and mount together
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191028_140220.jpg (32.0 KB, 1 views)
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
After the installation I test drove the vehicle and I can tell you that it worked really well. There is no harshness and there is very little vibration coming from the engine.
The vehicle drove very smoothly and a lot quieter than with the old mount.

The following photos show my engine bay. It is clean. I try to keep it that way because it is much more easy and fun to work on if it needs any servicing or repairs.
Notice my battery post do not have any corrosion. No rust on the car chassis or undercarriage. Just keep it clean and sprayed with fluid film in rust prone areas.

My next project is to refurbish without removal the rear trailing arm bushings. I am noticing a slight sway of the rear end at around 75 mph. It may be shocks related but I will do a thorough inspection of the rear end bushings to make sure. I will post the process.

So two days of work at a cost of around 30 dollars is not too bad for this high mileage car.
I will rate the difficulty of this job to be around 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 thru 10.
If there was rust and a lot of dirt, I will rate it to be around 5 to 6.
I hope this helps. As usual think safety first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191028_111521.jpg (51.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20191028_111500.jpg (64.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20191028_111454.jpg (57.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by jeepney_driver; Today at 04:22 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in