Issues so far... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 04-23-2008, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Issues so far...

Bought the Jeep Compass 5 Speed - Sport North Ed. in March 2008.

A few weeks later, passenger side seat starts to squeek. I blasted the hinges underneith with WD40 and it's silent ..so far.

Then, the back rear is squeeking like an old junker! BOTH SIDES?! It must have something to do with the shocks or bushings... it squeeks just driving along no matter what speed and is extremely embarassing! Especially after buying a brand new vehicle... I feel like I'm in a K-car
Anyone know what the back squeeking may be? I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday am, they were so backed up with appointments - NOT a good sign ;( Ugh - I miss my Acura!

'08 Jeep Compass Sport North Edition - 5 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-23-2008, 01:00 PM

Re: Issues so far...

I have the North Ed. as well, although I haven't had any problems with squeeking. I could be as simple as needing a little greese and tightening some bolts. I hope this hasn't permantly hurt your view of the Compass. My wife and I have had ours for almost a year now and are still loving it.

2007 Jeep Compass North Ed. Jeep Green
Manual 5 speed, 2.4L 16val 4x2
Boston Sound w Sirius Sat Radio
post #3 of 15 Old 04-23-2008, 06:55 PM

The front end of my Compass has been squeaking for some time now (over a year). I took it to the dealer a few times, they lubed it but the squeaking always comes back. It sounds like a 15 year old vehicle.

I just turned over 29,000 km this morning (~13,000 miles). Plenty of warranty left but the dealer can't seem to fix the squeak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Well... things don't look to bright for me then! I seriously regret my purchase I guess you get what you pay for - since they are cheaper than many other CSUV's in their class. But you would think that a "Brand New" vehicle would last a little longer without issues.
I'll post what comes of my dealer appointment on Friday for an FYI.

post #5 of 15 Old 04-23-2008, 11:46 PM

Sorry to hear about your squeaks. Good luck at the dealers. These are relatively inexpensive vehicles but mechanically they are well built. If the dealer can not fix it to your satisfaction, find a different dealer.

Webmaster, find yourself a different Jeep dealer.
There is no excuse for any car to squeak from the suspension. Grease is rarely the solution though there are a few components that the lack of grease will cause squeaks. For those parts, there are specific greases that are supposed to be used and re-applied periodically but not often. In many cases squeaks are from improperly mounted parts or damaged/defective parts.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 CVT
Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
post #6 of 15 Old 04-24-2008, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Onroad... I'll let you know how I make out Friday!

post #7 of 15 Old 04-24-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelle
Then, the back rear is squeeking like an old junker! BOTH SIDES?! It must have something to do with the shocks or bushings... it squeeks just driving along no matter what speed and is extremely embarassing!
Anyone know what the back squeeking may be?
I think I had the same squeek in the back, even when I sat into the car, it squeeked.
Dealer replaced LINK REAR TOEs (05105270AB, 2 pcs --- left and right) under warranty and now it's gone

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4 CRD
post #8 of 15 Old 04-25-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Well I brought it in today... both back bushings and the sway bar need to be replaced... at JUST under 5000K and two months old! Wow.
I certainly am glad I purchased the extended warranty, allthough it will only last me about 2-3 years for 100k since we drive so much for work Damn. I'm regretting buying this POS now... (sorry loyal compass fans, but this is just rediculous)

post #9 of 15 Old 04-25-2008, 04:40 PM

I had the squeak from my back drivers side, every time I got in or out, or over a bump. Not very impressed, I was going to take it in, but as quickly as it started, it seems to have stopped.

So now I am not sure what to do.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelle
Well I brought it in today... both back bushings and the sway bar need to be replaced... at JUST under 5000K and two months old! Wow.
I certainly am glad I purchased the extended warranty, allthough it will only last me about 2-3 years for 100k since we drive so much for work Damn. I'm regretting buying this POS now... (sorry loyal compass fans, but this is just rediculous)
I'm a little over 10,000k and have had nothing wrong (besides the F#$% jerk that rubbed me panel). Did they tell you WHY they needed replacing? I am curious as to why it would require that much work with so little of mileage. I could see one bushing or just the sway bar, not all of it going at the same time.

2007 Jeep Compass North Ed. Jeep Green
Manual 5 speed, 2.4L 16val 4x2
Boston Sound w Sirius Sat Radio
post #11 of 15 Old 04-26-2008, 12:00 AM

Sounds like they are doing the right thing. I too am a bit confused however. Things like the sway bars are metal poles that rarely need to be replaced unless they are bent, cracked or the connection points have been damaged due to a failed linkage. Was this vehicle in an accident? I would want to be shown what is going to be done and have it explained.

It is really too bad that you have had such an annoying time with your buggy. I just got rid of a new car that drove me nuts. In that case it was a subtle vibration in the steering, failing engine electronics and instability in bad weather.

Thankfully, my Jeep has been trouble free and proved its metal this past winter...

post #12 of 15 Old 04-26-2008, 02:05 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd
I think I had the same squeek in the back, even when I sat into the car, it squeeked.
Dealer replaced LINK REAR TOEs (05105270AB, 2 pcs --- left and right) under warranty and now it's gone
Floyd! - Never, Ever, let your dealer know 1/2 the things you do with your Compass . . LOL! :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnRoad
Sounds like they are doing the right thing. It is really too bad that you have had such an annoying time with your buggy. . . . Thankfully, my Jeep has been trouble free and proved its metal this past winter...

My feelings . . .ibid.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #13 of 15 Old 04-26-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe
Floyd! - Never, Ever, let your dealer know 1/2 the things you do with your Compass . . LOL! :lol:
What? I'm using Jeep just like a Jeep is supposed to be used.

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4 CRD
post #14 of 15 Old 04-26-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnRoad
Sounds like they are doing the right thing. I too am a bit confused however. Things like the sway bars are metal poles that rarely need to be replaced unless they are bent, cracked or the connection points have been damaged due to a failed linkage. Was this vehicle in an accident? I would want to be shown what is going to be done and have it explained.

It is really too bad that you have had such an annoying time with your buggy. I just got rid of a new car that drove me nuts. In that case it was a subtle vibration in the steering, failing engine electronics and instability in bad weather.

Thankfully, my Jeep has been trouble free and proved its metal this past winter...
My husband brought it into the dealer to get looked at because if I went in, I would have totally went off on them! lol He said they told him they were "worn out". How, a Brand new vehicle has a worn out swaybar and bushings is beyond me!
Never been in an accident and when I bought it - it had 200kms on it because I had it driven from another dealer - mint and brand new.
I'm going in when it get fixed though an will certainly demand some damn answers!

post #15 of 15 Old 04-26-2008, 11:42 PM

Definitely the right attitude. Remember, polite but firm.

There is no way they could be worn out unless they were defective or damaged. Be sure to question the impact this has on your alignment as well.

You might also want to do a search for the TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins). Somewhere there is a link (sorry, I can remember which of the Jeep forums) to the TSBs on the Calibers. The Compass and Partiot are included on those TSBs. Just remember that they span the total production of the cars so many will not apply to yours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in