High pitched whining - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lil_green_compass

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 Old 08-18-2011, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

High pitched whining

I am looking to see if anyone else has come across this, my wifes 2008 jeep compass just recently started to make a high pitched whine, the sound goes up and down with acceleration and deceleration. i have put the transmission in neutral at a complete stop and reved the engine and the sound isnt there. the sound is only there when the jeep is under load(moving). any help would be greatly appreiate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 PM

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...rivetrain.html
you will be much better off asking your question on the jeep patriot forum. People actually respond to questions over there...unlike this site.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-04-2011, 12:08 AM

Garage
me too!!!

I have the same problem with mine... but its only when I am on the highway going above 60 for longer than about 20 mins!!! I hope someone knows what the problem is!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-04-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepchik07 View Post
I have the same problem with mine... but its only when I am on the highway going above 60 for longer than about 20 mins!!! I hope someone knows what the problem is!!
Quote:
T355 5 Speed Manual Transmission
Part Numbers:
68042567A$
68042789A$

Issue Description:

If transmission being replaced for high pitched whine 65 - 70 mph, perform the following:

Verify vehicle build between 9/20/07 - 9/20/08

Replace the rear transaxle mount with part number 68032586AE

If objectionable final drive gear whine remains, replace transaxle with a unit containing a build date of May 12, 2008 or later. The build date is found on the bar code label located on top of the bell housing (TTU1338xxxxx) - corresponds to May 12th 2008 or 133rd day of 200.
Manual Transmission Whine Problem - Jeep Patriot Forums
post #5 of 23 Old 09-04-2011, 03:39 AM

Garage
thank you!!!
post #6 of 23 Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepchik07 View Post
thank you!!!
anytime. I haven't made it to the dealership yet to see if they are even aware of this problem...
Keep us posted if you get anywhere.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-04-2012, 03:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaboy83 View Post
I am looking to see if anyone else has come across this, my wifes 2008 jeep compass just recently started to make a high pitched whine, the sound goes up and down with acceleration and deceleration. i have put the transmission in neutral at a complete stop and reved the engine and the sound isnt there. the sound is only there when the jeep is under load(moving). any help would be greatly appreiate it.
Get it checked out ASAP! My slave master cylinder went out and caused the synchros from first to second to go out at 51,400 miles. The dealer is replacing my transmission with a brand new newly styled one just because it's cheaper to do that then try to rebuild the old one.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 PM

Well I finally made it to this problem on the honey do list. I never drive the compass and my wife's work commute is very short so the high pitch noise isn't an issue. well a few nights ago we took it on an hour drive at highway speeds. for a plugged nickle I would have burned it on the side of the highway the noise was so bad.
I ordered the rear transmission mount and picked it up today. it goes from the transmission to the cross member.
While deciding which part of the car I would have to remove to get at it..I noticed another mount on the drivers side under the air box. it is bolted to the rear of the trans-axle case and to the frame / inner fender on the drivers side.
I ordered it today and I'm going to change it first and see if it fixes or lessens the noise. it is called a motor mount on the Chrysler parts computer program and the part #'s listed in the bulletin posted here didn't work in a search in their system.
If I had to choose which one was transferring the noise..it would be the one under the air box. I'll update this thread after I swap the mounts Tuesday.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-31-2012, 06:04 PM

well I swapped out the mount for a new one. the noise doesn't seem to be as bad..but is still noticeable. I have the mount that goes on the cross member so I am going to replace that one too and see if it helps.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_green_compass View Post
well I swapped out the mount for a new one. the noise doesn't seem to be as bad..but is still noticeable. I have the mount that goes on the cross member so I am going to replace that one too and see if it helps.
I'm starting to have the same problem a few days ago. Did replacing those mounts help out with the noise??

Any advices would be great!
post #11 of 23 Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 AM

It did make a noticeable difference but didn't eliminate it. I still haven't replaced the one that is behind the engine block.
I'm having a hard time preventing myself from burning this POS to the ground right now.
I've never hated a vehicle so much before.
I'm getting rid of it this spring and will never own a jeep product again.
LT2112 likes this.
post #12 of 23 Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 PM

Whine danger?

I also have had a whine for some time in my 07 Compass. It is now loud even at low speeds. Two questions: Am I at risk making a 1500 mile trip on the freeway? Does Jeep/Dodge replace the transaxle or transmission as faulty or does it cost us a new one? How much?
post #13 of 23 Old 10-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Are these sounds you are hearing varying with the rpm? If it is, it could be the alternator bearings and/or clutch in the alternator. One thing to check out.
post #14 of 23 Old 10-03-2013, 02:29 AM

Transmission

No it is the transmission, like the problems mentioned above. It has to do with speed and stops if you let of the gas with the clutch in.
post #15 of 23 Old 10-28-2013, 10:40 PM

I have an 07 Compass and have had my issues with WWD - "whining while driving".

Two things that turned out to be my problem.

One was the alternator going bad... I have changed it and don't experience that whine anymore.

The other is a common issue with Compass/Patriot. The transmission fluid in the CVT overheating. Check to see if having that changed fixes your issues.

It only happened to me 3x over the summer (once last year and 2x this year) during long drives in the heat. It's the cooler season now and winter's coming so I plan on changing my tranny oil myself in the spring. It's way overdue.

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4WD - Black
4 Cyl, 2.4L CVT
195,000/mi -
215/65R17 - Continental ProContact ECOPlus

Replaced entire front end suspension at 190,000mi (control arms, inner/outer tie rods, bushings, etc.) (did it myself)

new Monroe struts at 160,000/mi (did it myself)
Ball Joints 2x-both sides - various mileage (did it myself)
post #16 of 23 Old 01-30-2014, 11:09 PM

Garage
So I recently had a CVT Tune-up on my 2008 Compass. I assume they change the fluid and make the proper adjustments. But now, the sound .. or should I say, the whining noise is louder than normal now. Should I look into changing the alternator as well?
post #18 of 23 Old 07-07-2014, 04:07 PM

Beware - My 2007 Compass experienced the high-pitched whine (nearly at police siren level), engine light for heat went on, and shortly thereafter the drive train went into a neutral mode...and we stopped on the highway, called a tow-truck...but the shop couldn't find anything wrong. We drove back home (85 miles) without the AC on, made it without incident, but drove our Chevy on our 8-hour trip after the five hour delay associated with the CVT failure.
post #19 of 23 Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 PM

Garage
I just drove mine over 1200 miles this weekend and its a 2012, same problem. Going to take it to the dealer beacuse its still under warrenty for 4k more miles
post #20 of 23 Old 07-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
Are these sounds you are hearing varying with the rpm? If it is, it could be the alternator bearings and/or clutch in the alternator. One thing to check out.
My problem occurs when I'm between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I have an automatic transmission too
post #21 of 23 Old 11-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlanman View Post
No it is the transmission, like the problems mentioned above. It has to do with speed and stops if you let of the gas with the clutch in.

its hard to diagnose without hearing the whine. but i will add (although im late getting in here) my wifes car had a whine that got louder and quieter with acceleration and deceleration at lower speeds and it was the ADP assembly in the alternator, replaced the whole thing.

07 compass 2.4L 4x4 CVT: (all stock)
wifes car...when it breaks its my headache... Located in the US
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with the following statement... DO NOT BUY A COMPASS
post #22 of 23 Old 11-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
2008 Jeep Patriot FDII CVT Whine - YouTube

2008 Jeep Patriot FDII CVT Whine Part 2 - YouTube

I thought it was CVT whine, but it was alternator decoupler after all, didn't matter since I got rid of the vehicle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #23 of 23 Old 10-22-2019, 12:51 PM

Unhappy Transmission Input Shaft Bearing Failed

Dug up this older thread as I recently also had the noisy manual transmission in 2016 Compass, which was quieted by pushing in clutch (75,000 miles.) Was diagnosed as failed input shaft bearing. Bad news is bits of metal were inside transmission, which was replaced under (extended) warranty. Regular warranty ran out at 60,000 miles and I would have been SOL.

This seems to be a common problem on Patriot forum as well.

I previously had a 2008 Compass with manual which went 194,000 miles with no powertrain issues. I drove both mostly highway miles.

Anybody else having this problem with manual transmission?

Last edited by Chuck 2 Compasses; 10-24-2019 at 03:10 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in