Compass Overheating - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ATLjeepcompass

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 03-15-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Smile Compass Overheating

Hi Everyone
Has anyone had their jeep overheat?Maybe been through the dealership about this issue?I'm hoping it's only a sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Coolant Problem

Hi Everyone
We have gone to the dealership twice now and the last visit got our compass a new rad 'cause it was leaking.Now a week later and coolant is dissapearing but there is no visible coolant under the jeep.The oil is normal color and the exhaust is not blowing out white smoke,so where is the coolant leaking into?

If anyone knows anything please help
The dealership is baffled and so am I.
Thank you
post #3 of 15 Old 06-20-2009, 07:36 PM

I see to be having a similar problem. The mechanic replaces by thermostats--most likely problem with no leaks--but it's still running warm when the air is on...What's the deal? Another possibility is that the computer needs to be updated. Has anyone ever heard of this? According to the tech, Compasses need to be updated every 50,000 miles or so...what's up with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Any sign of coolant in the engine oil?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 15 Old 06-21-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Hi everyone
We ended up having our rad replaced,eventually it started leaking from the bottom on the driver side.I should have posted this sooner,sorry.After Chrysler put in a new rad,the coolant level dropped again.This time they just added coolant since there must have been air bubbles in the system.Coolant level has not dropped since which was about 1 month ago.The one good thing about all this is the fact that we won't have to flush the rad for a while since it got replaced at about 22000 K.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-21-2009, 03:54 AM

All is well that ends well. Good to hear that you have your coolant problem corrected.

|
|
post #7 of 15 Old 06-21-2009, 10:25 PM

Garage
I had a truck with this problem once, coolant disappearing with no visible leaks. It turns out that it was the rad cap. The seal on it was shot and when it got hot it just boiled out and blew by the cap.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #8 of 15 Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 AM

^^^Glad to hear your issue was resolved...According to the mechanics, the coolant was low when I first brought it in. They replaced the coolant, and off I went. Two weeks later, still running warm. Got hot once, and stopped the car--that's the only time I have let it get that far. Now we have replaced the thermostats, and there is NO difference in engine temp from before. The only other thing they mentioned was the computer issue that would make it run hot (according the technical memos ASE mechanics get). There is no exhaust in the coolant, or coolant in the exhaust (the heads are in fine shape). What is going on here?
post #9 of 15 Old 06-22-2009, 02:35 AM

Do you have coolant in the expansion tank? You know, the one that's in the engine compartment next to the windshield washer resivoir. If it's a computer module problem, well that's beyond the common sense approach. I hope that you get yours fixed and I hope that I don't experience your same problems! Are these 2.4 engines going to last for the long haul? I hope so, mines got over 50,000 miles on it.

|
|
post #10 of 15 Old 06-22-2009, 01:17 PM

Yes there is coolant in the expansion tank.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-16-2009, 01:26 AM

Finally got a new radiator. Fixed the overheating issue. Bought the Compass used, previous owner tried to use some "stop leak" goo to close a leak in the radiator (as far we can tell). This obviously caused coolant flow issues. I had the dealer replace the radiator...all better now.
gizdawg likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-16-2009, 03:16 AM

Good news! Carry on.

|
|
post #13 of 15 Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM

Angry Coolant leaks Drivers side

FYI
2010 JEEP COMPASS 2.4 2WD 125,000 km
If you are loosing small amounts of coolant in this location . It is most likely a cracked Thermostat housing assemble .

Remove air inlet components to give you a clear view of the T/housing . Pressurize your rad to about 10 psi using the appropriate tool and you can see the fluid pour out or just drip on the under side . DO NOT over pressurize your coolant system or you will find out what the weakest part is in the system when it blows . Unfortunately I scraped the part after I replaced same and cannot provide a photo . This must be an issue why else would Jeep make a all in one repair kit containing all necessary parts to complete the job .
P.S.
Dump that Pinkish rad coolant it will gel and take out your head gasket .

F**ked by Chrysler again

1000GSXR
post #14 of 15 Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 AM

Garage
Summer is soon approaching and hoping to either flush or replace the radiator as last summer, during a road trip to cali, we had to stop the car a few times because the overheating light came on. Any advices or suggestions on what to do for preventative care???

Thanks.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizdawg View Post
Summer is soon approaching and hoping to either flush or replace the radiator as last summer, during a road trip to cali, we had to stop the car a few times because the overheating light came on. Any advices or suggestions on what to do for preventative care???

Thanks.
Keep and eye on your temperature gauge. It highly unlikely its the rad.
Verify you e-Fan is coming on when the engine heats up. Easily checked in the driveway even after a short drive to heat up the engine.

Most likely cause if NOT the e-Fan which is a must to be working at least in the city. On the highway you may get away with it not due to natural air flow from driving fast. But a malfunctioning thermostat in the engine can be the culprit. NOTE: These engines have TWO thermostats!!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in