Typical Tranny Noise - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 10-13-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Typical Tranny Noise

Hi,

2007 Compass Limited
5 Speed Manual
58K miles

I have the typical front-end transmission noise. I take my foot off of the gas...no noise. Give it some gas...it starts to whine. It is all in the front-end.
I took it to the dealership and they said it needs a new transmission. They said the transmission is sealed and they replace them as all-in-one unit. Yea, for $4150.00 !

I have read about this problem on several forums and it brings up a few questions.

1) First, has anyone had any mechanical failure due to this? I have read that some people just live with it and keep driving.
2) Is the tranny truly "sealed". Can these things be repaired.
3) Does anyone know for sure what is causing this noise? I have heard about "rear transaxle mounts", "output bearings", "pinion bearings", and even the wrong kind of fluid.
4) Has anyone gone toe-to-toe with Chrys/Jeep to have this thing repaired? Did you win? Did they pay anything towards the repair?

It really has me 'ticked'. I have had two Wranglers before this and all problems have been minor. I bought this Compass 'used' last January and now this. I should have known I'd be a sucker when Jeep was only offering 3yrs/36K mile warranty (when new). If they cannot stand behind their own product with a decent warranty then I should have known something wasn't right.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-13-2011, 07:18 PM

CVT is sealed & no opinion but swapping. You show a 5 speed, not the case. A whine is not normal but there are a lot of sounds.

Recommendation is to take it to a reputable shop that services power trains but starting with a gear box fluid change would be a wise start but use the right fluid (owners manual!!!) and go from there.

PS: As for a Jeep. The only part that can be considered a Jeep is the Decals saying such. Other than that. This is a Calibre as is the Patriot all the same with different skin and interior but the suspension and power trains are the same. There is no comparison of any year of a Compass to a Jeep whatsoever.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 10-13-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Last sentence
post #3 of 9 Old 10-28-2011, 02:39 AM

Same Issue

I feel for you, I'm having the same issue. Whining/whirring noise starts at about 40km/h and gets louder and higher pitched the faster I go. Noise only exists when foot is on the accelerator (however I think I may hear it vaguely as higher speeds while off the accelerator).
Noise does not occur when in neutral, only while in gear.

If you have any updates I'd love to hear them and I'll do the same.

I've been all around the block on this one. My usual garage (who I trust) told me they weren't confident in making a final diagnosis and referred me to a tranny shop. However if they had to point a finger at anything it would be a diff.

The tranny shop tells me, not surprisingly, that it's definitely a tranny issue and it will be $900 just to disassemble the tranny and diagnose the issue.
I'm no car expert but I know an expensive rabbit hunt when I hear one so on I go to the dealer.

The dealer tells me it's definitely not the tranny, nor the diff, possibly the bearings, but is most likely the tires due to cupping.
This is of course hogwash since the tires have lots of life left and the noise only occurs when on the accelerator. If it was tires, rolling at a constant speed would be enough.

So their plan is first to:
a) Sell me a new pair of tires to see if that fixes the problem (the current tires have lots of life left on them, they only have ~45K on them)
b) if the new tires don't work replace the bearings
c) If that doesn't work move on to other items

So again I'm back to a expensive shakedown just to get to the root of the issue.

I've since but the winter tires on, and the noise persists. What a shock.
I'm going back to my trusted mechanic tomorrow so I can be %100 sure on the bearings. Once that's cleared up I'll be going toe to toe with Chrysler since my powertrain is still under warranty. I'll post updates as they occur.

I couldn't possibly be more frustrated with what junk car is as this is our 4th major issue and the car only has 90K on it. My wife and I are sure to tell everyone not to buy Chrysler and even our son has picked up on this and tells his friends (which in a way is too bad, he used to love the jeep and even draw pictures of it). Way to go Chrysler for losing 2 generations of sales.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 01:40 AM

Confirmed

Dealer has confirmed it's the CVT. They're replacing it under warranty.

Now on to figuring out what to do with the front end that's made out of play-doh
post #5 of 9 Old 02-04-2012, 02:33 AM

Garage
My 5 quit all together!!!

My transmission was whining for almost about a year. I took a road trip from Salt Lake City, UT to Tucson, AZ which one way is about 700 miles. On the way down not only did I have to put up with whine but a rattle came through the stick that I could only stop by holding onto it the entire time! Which SUCKS when you have no cruise control. I talked to my salesman about 6 months after buying the car and he said it's normal for the car to do that. I've even got the 4x4 on mine so I figured it might have something to do with that. Luckily I bought an extended warranty from the dealer!!!

So this is what happened. I put the car in neutral and I was coming stop and I heard a clunk, tick, tick, tick, tick, I had almost no clutch left and couldn't put it in first gear. Luckily I still had some momentum and was able to slide it into 2nd gear and limp it 3 miles home without having to stop till I pulled in my driveway of course. I got the Jeep towed into the dealer a couple days later after getting info on my warranty.

This is what ended up happening....The slave master cylinder went out. In the process the synchros for 1st & 2nd gear went out which explains why I could only stick it in 2nd gear. I have 51,400 miles on my car. The dealer is replacing both the master cylinder and the tranny with a new style 5 speed tranny that they are having to relocate a mount for as well. I'm having them replace the clutch while it's torn apart just for safety measures. All of this is being done under warranty, except for the clutch which will run about $600 for a new 2 stage clutch plate and flywheel.

It's supposed to take them about a 2 weeks to get it all done since they didn't have one of the parts which is some special preformed hose for the new transmission. Let's hope this new transmission doesn't whine or give me any problems.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-04-2012, 02:35 AM

Garage
5 tranny blow out extension

Oh yeah they also told me it was cheaper for me to get a brand new transmission as it would cost more to try and rebuild the one that was in it.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-04-2012, 02:48 AM

Well with that don't go by the salesman if in doubt talk to the shop forman or go to another dealer. I would not fork out for the clutch. If it needs replacing let the warranty take care of it. It Chryslers engineering and if the replacement is better why should you pay for it. Come back for the new clutch when the old one goes out.

LOL What a catastrophe. Unbelieveable but it happens.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-05-2012, 05:22 AM

Garage
Replacing the clutch

I'm only replacing the clutch to be one the safe side since the old one got all the brake fluid all over it. Better to always be safe then sorry.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahcompas07 View Post
I'm only replacing the clutch to be one the safe side since the old one got all the brake fluid all over it. Better to always be safe then sorry.
All the best. You should be ok with that and the part and labour should be 1 year on what they did.

Good luck

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in