What is your experience with stock tires?? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 21 Old 02-12-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

What is your experience with stock tires??

I bought my Jeep Compass Limited 4x2 in Mexico. My OEM tires are P215/55/R18 Continental Contipremium Contact2. Here is the description:

The ContiPremiumContact 2 has a unique 3D tread groove which gives it optimal braking performance on both wet and dry surfaces, excellent protection against aquaplaning, precise handling and unbeatable driving stability. (from Continental website)

I have to say, that these tires are amazing!!! I just returned from a trip to another city and tested them on highway with a lot of curves. The performance and braking is excellent!!! My comparation point was my Jeep Liberty with Michelin tires and it is not even close. Quiet drive, smooth drive, excellent grip!!

What is your experience?? What tires do you recommend for all weather??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 PM

Garage
Continentals have always been my go to tire brand. They always seem like an underdog when looking at reviews and comparing. I had different types of tires on a multitude of cars and each time, I always said that Continentals were the best.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM

Garage
Agree with Giantsnation - Contis awesome. Have run Sportcontact 2 on a few of my previous cars. Had Pirelli on my X1 which is similar to the Jeep - also excellent. Won't touch Goodyear again - had a bad experience with them on my A3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 PM

Garage
Goodyears - Good for a year!
post #5 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 11:31 PM

Garage
I agree with you giantsnation but they are the only one I've found with white letters and I like that look.

2011 Compass Latitude ,28B ,Freedom Drive II Off Road Group, Sun & Sound ,,Bright Silver,Husky Liners,Mopar Molded Flaps,Xpel clear door edge guards, Stainless Steel exhaust tip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Garage
I used to work at a popular tire store and when, people would tell me the only thing on the tire they liked was the outer white letter, I would respond with: let me know if you still like that white lettering when your stuck in a ditch. A little harsh, yes but the point is that safety is more an important (IMO) than looks.

So what do you do? Well you could look at a slightly different size. Like a 225/60/17 which you can get the BF Goodrich Radial TAs in White Letters. If you wanted to set-up your game (I can't guarantee these will fit) you could go to a BG Goodrich All-Terrain TA in 225/70/17. Not doubt this is a tough choice but I would suggest finding a tire store (or looking at forums) for the maximum size without rubbing.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Garage
Also, looks like the 235/65R17 size fits stock patriots. Seeing how you have the FDII you have a little more clearance than them. That opens up even more options:

Continental CrossContact LX20
Firestone Destination AT (best tire for the money for light off road use)
Michelin LTX A/T 2
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2
General Grabber HTS
BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour
Dunlop Rover H/T
post #8 of 21 Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPASSDL View Post
I agree with you giantsnation but they are the only one I've found with white letters and I like that look.
Same for me, it was a stock option and I wanted the look of the lettering - once those are warn out I'll look at A/T's with white lettering

BUT for me I don't do many miles, plus I switch tires for half the year over winter, so these tires may last me the whole time I keep the car....

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 21 Old 04-09-2013, 03:37 AM

Garage
Original tires sucked

My car came with GoodYear RSA. Terrible tires. Wore out fast. Developed minute cracks and became very noisy (loud droning sound) at 40K miles. Replaced them with Michelin Hydro Edge. Very good tires. Quiet, smooth ride. Car now has 166000 miles and the Michelins are still running great. Thread depth still good for maybe another 30k or so. Replacement tires will be Michelins for sure.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 PM

Garage
my .2014 came with 215/60/17 firestone tire they work very well while ive had them quite good stopping and good traction on snow and ice but ALREADY WORN DOWN TO WEAR BAR AND NEED REPLACING AFTER 15K MIILES
post #11 of 21 Old 02-03-2015, 06:32 PM

the original tires are very good because they are quiet and great grip. But they are very delicate, damaged with small knocks and bumps you go
post #12 of 21 Old 04-18-2015, 01:46 PM

2014 Compass Limited with Firestone...

Firehawk 215/55/18 and they are worn down to wearbars after 23k...These tires are just downright dangerous in the wet...Dry traction is only ok...Wish Jeep had gone with Michelin or Contis and I have not had the best wear out of Contis in the past...

Now on to Firestone to see if they will replace these worn out pieces of rubber... Oh I have only had this vehicle since July of 2014...
post #13 of 21 Old 04-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
if you want even the least bit of offroad performance you will need to go with an All Terrain tire, 225/55/18 is a size that works, and Yokohama Goalander AT/S comes in that size.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #14 of 21 Old 04-28-2015, 01:42 PM

Garage
My 2011 still has the factory installed Goodyear Wrangler SR-As, only has 44,000 km (27,000 miles) but they still have tons of tread and and don't make a sound. I use them all winter in Winnipeg and never had to four-wheel lock them after a huge snowfall, so the OEM tires seem fine to me anyway.

2011 Jeep Compass North Edition 4x4
-2.4L, CVT, FDI
-Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
-Chrome Door Sill Guards
-Black WeatherTech DigitalFit FloorLiners

Last edited by Steven_Powell; 04-28-2015 at 02:07 PM.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-04-2015, 11:43 AM

I am going to put on new tire before the end of 2015. The Nokian I have are very noisy and thread is gone enough to need new rubber for the coming winter. Original tires were Firestone !! I don't drive on Firestone period so I got rid of them after getting the vehicle. These Conti sound good but a winter tire would be desirable in my OEM size.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #16 of 21 Old 06-24-2015, 09:07 PM

I have 42,000 miles on my 2014 Compass and the original Firestone Affinities are showing a good bit of wear. Any suggestions for a quieter, longer-lasting replacement? My Jeep dealer carries Goodrich Advantage, Yokohama Avid, and several others, as well as the Affinities.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-24-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Powell View Post
My 2011 still has the factory installed Goodyear Wrangler SR-As, only has 44,000 km (27,000 miles) but they still have tons of tread and and don't make a sound. I use them all winter in Winnipeg and never had to four-wheel lock them after a huge snowfall, so the OEM tires seem fine to me anyway.
That's interesting that you have a good experience with this tire. I'm not calling you a liar, but every review I have read about these tires is negative. Maybe only 1 out of 10 is good? I've been debating these tires because they're relatively inexpensive and I like the look, but I simply haven't read anything positive about them.
post #18 of 21 Old 06-25-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I have 42,000 miles on my 2014 Compass and the original Firestone Affinities are showing a good bit of wear. Any suggestions for a quieter, longer-lasting replacement? My Jeep dealer carries Goodrich Advantage, Yokohama Avid, and several others, as well as the Affinities.
I just put General Altimax RT43 225/65R17 on my wifes Compass. I looked at a lot and were highly rated yet budget friendly as well. There are a bit bigger than the OEM size but fit well never the less.

Check them out I doubt you'll find a better alternative.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #19 of 21 Old 06-30-2015, 01:21 PM

I have conti cross contact UHP
225 55 R 18
On 2014 limited

Tyres costed me an arm and leg
post #20 of 21 Old 07-01-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5un1688 View Post
I have conti cross contact UHP
225 55 R 18
On 2014 limited

Tyres costed me an arm and leg
Where did you get them and how much? Seen them lowest at TireRack.com and 4WheelOnline.com
post #21 of 21 Old 02-25-2017, 03:59 AM

Tripplec, I'm glad to hear you like the Generals, i've got my snow tires on now, hopefully in Western Canada we'll see an end to winter in another month. I had a set of the RT's before on a car and i loved them, i'm goin to buy a set for my Compass. It had 60k on the factory Firestones and the tread was good but there were staring to rot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in