Tires??? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Tires???

I have a 07 and i need new tires. What would be the best set to get?? I drive mostly interstate and well this year in SW Virginia lots of snow. Just looking for a good all around tire. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-21-2010, 12:39 PM

Garage
Nelson, go to this link as we have info on that there.
http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...read.php?t=574
post #3 of 19 Old 03-02-2010, 03:03 AM

Well honestly, I think the est all weather tires is that triple tread that I believe bridgestone puts out (someone check me on that). I have those on all of the other vehicles I drive and they do great in the snow and provide very good dry and wet pavement performance

Run from me if you want to live.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

There is no such thing as an all round tire ( 4 seasons....etc) in my opinion........you need to have a set for winter condition for better traction and a summer one to enjoy the ride..........

My 2 cents !

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 PM

Just had to put new skins on our '08 Compass Sport

Just as an FYI as to what seems to be a pretty good tire for a Compass....

My wife's '08 FWD with 32k on it had a flat while in Chicago two weekends ago. She must have not known it and drove it far enough to ruin the OEM Firestone Affinity.

The Affinitys only had about another 8k left in them or so, and had grown very NOISY (even with rotations), so we decided to go ahead and swap on a whole new set. NOT an expense I was counting on for her on this particular trip for a volleyball tournament!!!

After having AAA swap the mini spare on, I did some online research and decided that she could go to Discount Tire and get a set of Yokohama Avid TRZ's put on. The retail price of these ended up being about $116 per tire before $90 worth of rebates.

Discount didn't have the OEM size (215/55), but instead they installed a set of 225/60's. The only difference I could determine is that they are about 1/2 inch wider, which most online resources said is actually not a bad thing.

With the $90 rebate, and the $15.50 full free replacement when damaged insurance (down to 3/32 inch..... a good deal I think), plus the other miscellaneous environmental fees, etc. AND Illinois' famous 7.75% tax!!, the out-the-door price for these 80k tires was approximately $570.

From what I read online, I'll probably be lucky to get 60k out of the Avids, but from looking at the Affinitys, they were wearing VERY evenly so I don't think that will be a problem. I will say that it is SO nice to have that #$%^ tire hum/roar finally gone! The ride and handling of the Avids seems real good (as it should with new tires). From what I read online, the Avids are excellent handlers on dry and wet/rainy roads. Snow and ice travel is supposedly so-so. If you read many tire reviews however, those traits seem to be reported for just about EVERY all season type of tire that isn't dedicated soley to winter traction.

The one thing that makes you wonder about "providence" sometimes, is the fact that the next day while driving home, my wife and daughter were caught in a REAL GOOD 2-3 hour snowstorm down in southwest Michigan as they came home on I-94. The tread was getting down enough on the old Affinitys that I actually wonder if they wouldn't have had some perilous moments with those, based on my wife's description of the driving conditions. As far as the winter traction for Avids go (at least when they're new), my wife said they did fine.

Makes you wonder why things happen the way they do sometimes, eh?

-CSM

Last edited by CompassSportMan; 03-06-2010 at 08:13 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-07-2010, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Wow CSM, good post, and while I have no experience driving on snow/ice, I'll bet you are glad you replaced those tires!!! Glad to hear you seem to be happy with them and that the aweful tire noise is gone. Sounds like you got a good deal, too!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #7 of 19 Old 03-07-2010, 05:05 AM

Correction on the size of my new tires...

I just checked my paperwork and the new wider tires are actually 225/55's. The originals were the 215/60's.

Thanks for the comments Cherokee!

-CSM
post #8 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the tire recommendations, folks. I just put a set of Avids on Trigger last night and went for a drive. So far, I can tell they're quiet. I'll test their responsiveness and other features some other time, after they're broken in.

Owner of:
1991 Wrangler (YJ) since 09-09-1998;
1980 Honda CB750C since 11-25-2005;
2007 steel blue Compass Limited (MK) since 10-12-2009
post #9 of 19 Old 05-13-2010, 05:35 AM

I need to get new tires for my Compass sometime in the next few months...hopefully mother nature will hold off on the snow meanwhile. I haven't really looked around for anything yet, but it is good to see what some of you have recommended.

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4
27k Miles
post #10 of 19 Old 05-13-2010, 03:57 PM

I have Nokian Brand All Weather SUV tires on my Grand Cherokee and they are one of the few which are 4 season. DOT Snowflake winter rated as well. The do excellent all year round and not noisy. My son put them also on his Explorer Sport. I am not certain if they are made in the low profile size for the Compass.

I personally run my tires year round. Even generic snows on my other rides and don't take them off in the summer. Traction is traction and it works for braking as well as getty up and go.

There prices are reasonable for a quality tire. You need an aggressive thread with sipes wide and deep on the outside edges just like real snow tires have.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian+WRG2

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Last edited by tripplec; 05-13-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Added link to the tires.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-28-2010, 02:23 PM

I know I will need tires next winter because I live in the country. I have a upsloping driveway and there are mornings where I create the paths on the roads into Arnprior.

I was thinking of Cooper tires. Any one tried them?
Also do our Ont members know if we will get hit with HST?

Tony

2009 Silver Northern Edition
Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #12 of 19 Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 AM

Garage
Think I'm gonna do the same as FFL this winter... I might just have a 2nd set of wheels (winter tires, probly with 16/17" rims) and just swap them over when the time comes.
apparently 18" off-road/AT tires are pricey and not as easy to get hold of...plus my stock tires are only 12 months old. Wouldnt mind a set of beefy-ass black rims either heh heh heh...

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Very wise of you...........look for the 16 inches...........cheaper and they do the job !!!

16 " Steel rims with Michelin X-Ice................no problem with snow and\or ice !!!!

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #14 of 19 Old 06-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Garage
Will do... I have seen some Compasses on here and the other forums and the snow/AT tires look great on them.

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Is anyone using 16" rims on a 4x4 ABS Compass currently?

Someone mentioned that smaller rims might interfere with brakes or suspension components near the wheel. Close inspection before and after may be required although a good tire shop should be aware any issues.

I find my Infinity tire quite noisy on some paved surface and the difference is quite dramatic. Must be someone new in tire design to come up with a thread like that and the only vehicle I've driven that does it.

As for Winter Tires this affordable tire comes out shining in the reviews and might want to check them out come winter time. AltiMAX Arctic by General Tire

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 06-06-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Added tire reference after check with TireRack.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Is anyone using 16" rims on a 4x4 ABS Compass currently?
I do during the winter time............and no issues at all .......

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #17 of 19 Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
I do during the winter time............and no issues at all .......
I did a calculation based on a tire site calculator. To get the same diameter etc as my 215R60-17 on 16 I would need 205R70-16 but did not see them in the General tire line-up. there are other size which come close just looking at diameter.

What size are you using and tire?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #18 of 19 Old 06-07-2010, 11:25 PM

Garage
I repeat, tire size profile, diameter, width,etc is part of the original design of the suspension and overall dimension dynamics of the vehicle. To vary from that detunes some or all of the components.
post #19 of 19 Old 02-25-2017, 05:19 AM

I have Cooper snow tires, I drive almost all highway miles, I hink we get more of a compacted snow ice than heavy snow in this part of the country, i could never use an all season tire in Alberta, might be different if my Compass was 4WD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in