Winter Rims and TPMS light - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 Old 11-15-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Winter Rims and TPMS light

Have any of you found out away to turn off the TPMS light when you are using Winter rims?
I just put mine on on Thurs day and was told the light would be on till I put the summers back on.

IS this true?

Tony

2009 Silver Northern Edition
Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Yeap on no worries............that's normal and you CAN'T turn the TPMS off..........just have to be patience until spring..................unless you want to waste money on the sensors ...............don't forget this is a US requirement that is impose in Canada by default............

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-15-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Tks FFL,
Maybe a piece of electrical tape over the light will work

Tony

Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWoodca View Post
Have any of you found out away to turn off the TPMS light when you are using Winter rims?
I just put mine on on Thurs day and was told the light would be on till I put the summers back on.

IS this true?
Yes that what the dealer also told me when I bought the vehicle. No point in buying sensor just for the season most don't. They are more prone to leaking and failure as well. With the winter salt and sand its probably best to stick with standard valve stems anyway.

Out of curiosity. What size of tire and type did you put on. I was about to make a move myself in a day or two.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 PM

i'm new to this stuff. and maybe im in the wrong place. but i have a 2007 jeep compass, and im looking at putting winter tires on it, and some guy is trying to sell me 215/65/r17's and normally i have 215/60/r17's on her. i dont know if he thinks im stupid because im blonde or if i can actually put these on my jeep! some help would be appreciated!
post #6 of 22 Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 PM

Your speed will be off a fair bit due to the larger diameter. If you are getting steel rims for the winter tires as most people do it may end up cheaper or the same and then you store one set and swap in the winter. I have just gone through a search my self and 16" rims will work with P205 or P215/65R16. The P205 are .2% smaller and when driving at 100 your are really doing 98 while 215 are slightly wider and a hair bigger and still very close. I can find you a reference site in a bit. 17" tires are more expensive to start with. I plan to get General Ultimax Artic which have an excellent rep CTC had them on sale about $800 with rims etc.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 22 Old 11-15-2010, 06:57 PM

so i could put at 215/60/r16 on them and id be okay?
post #8 of 22 Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgallagher View Post
so i could put at 215/60/r16 on them and id be okay?
You would be off too much with 60 profile, 65 is closer. I'lll look for a link for you in a minute. Just back from shopping or PM me and I can send it to you directly.

Sorry for the delay anyway at this site you can input the original OEM tire size and ones you are considering with the respective rim size and see how much they differ. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 11-15-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Add info on tire size calculator
post #9 of 22 Old 11-15-2010, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Electric tape does the trick..........I did it last year.......and as for tire size..........here's an extract from the aftermarket section of this forum.........

OEM wheels :
Firestone (crap) P205R60/17

Winter wheels:

4 Michelin X-Ice (215-65-16)
4 new steel wheel (16 inches)

Both offers the exact same diameter...........

and voila !!!!!!!! end of discussion.......

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #10 of 22 Old 11-16-2010, 12:32 AM

i just put winter wheels and tires on mine 215/65R16 on steel wheels, whats weird is that a week ago the wife picked up a nail in the all season tires and the tmps light came on when the pressure dropped, now that i have 4 winter steel wheels on with no sensors in them the light is not on and ive driven approx 200km's since then.
post #11 of 22 Old 11-16-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Tripplec,
I put Arctic Claws 215/60R17 on and they run beautifully - not too noisy.
I picked them up from another Compass owner with less than 1000 km on them for $400 for the 4 of them.

Tony

Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #12 of 22 Old 11-16-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

FFL,

Electric tape it is

Tony

Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #13 of 22 Old 11-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

08 north compass..........give it time.........the light will come on soon..........glad I could help !!!!

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #14 of 22 Old 11-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
08 north compass..........give it time.........the light will come on soon..........glad I could help !!!!

haha, yeah real help, lol. i dont care if it does, i expect it to, just figured it would before now.
post #15 of 22 Old 11-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Just out of curosity, why do you use winter tires in Canada? I am a life long resident of Minnesota, and I'm betting that we get a similar amount of snow and cold as you do. Back in the day before radial tires, and front wheel drive, we did change out for winter tires. I never had a problem, except with my '80 Mustang (rear wheel drive) if going up a steep unplowed incline. Since then, I've gotten around, even in unplowed snow with just radial tires. Here we competely plowed out, after 3 inches of snow within 24 hours.

Nothing against you Canadiens, in fact, my husband is of French Canadien descent, so you are dear to my heart. I had heard, years ago, (From a French Canadien Pro Hockey Player) that they didn't plow in Montreal, and that you just had to drive in the ruts? Is this true?

A girl and her Jeep - a beautiful thing

Barbara Frechette
2010 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
St. Paul, MN, USA
post #16 of 22 Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 PM

Well some All Season tire manage to make the grade in areas where they don't have to go threw deep snow more than a few inches.

However, in all of Quebec snow tires are mandatory now even though the roads do get plowed etc. There roads are rough in Montreal, my daughter is in University there. When it snows it can lock down the city with turkeys who can't drive in the snow and expect everything including stopping and turning to be like summer on a dry day. Oh, we have plenty of turkeys here in Toronto area I can tell you. Feathers aside though many streets end up being slimy (a greasy snow slush without much traction) and unless you have aggressive tire patterns with good rubber you're going knowwhere especially in areas where there are hills and long grades. City buses are stuck every time in those snow falls and when traveling out of the GTA on the highways the extra traction is safety.

Safety of traction works not only to get you going but being able to stop much easier, shorter distance and safer. Most insurance companies here are giving a 5% discount if you have 4 winter tires. If it save and accident the deductible most would pay would also cover the bulk of the winter tire cost and you can use them for years.

We've been lucky over the last few years with very low snow falls in the GTA with the big storms just missing us. Last winter a 150km north of me in Haliburton they had 3ft in one storm. We do and can get it bad but traction on the icey surfaces is key and the Compass Firestone tires I am told are very very bad and I never liked firestone period. Damm near killed me in a spin out 30 years ago "Firestone 500" if you remember.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #17 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Barbara,
Where I live outside of Arnprior, the snow clearing is not done as well as Minnesota.
Many I morning I create the grooves in the road as I go to Arnprior to either take a bus into Ottawa or car pool to Ottawa(depends on the snow). I have been doing it with a Vibe AWD for the last 4 winters and this will be the first year for the Compass. Also when it gets icy here, it maybe 48 hours before it is properly salted and plowed. Also I have an incline driveway of about 150 ft which I have to get up.
That is my reason for snow tires .

Tony

Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #18 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 12:23 AM

i live in Newfoundland, and for anyone who has been here in winter, knows it can get nasty very fast. it is nothing for us to get 12-16 inches of snow in a 24 hour period. so that means, if you dont have good tires, you dont move, lol. i cant wait to get snow this year, first time with a 4x4, woooohoooooo.

i remember one time they called for 10cm of snow, we got 65cm, hahaha, yup no joke, thats over 2 feet.
post #19 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 04:48 AM

Truly, thank to all for the info. I had thought that living in MN was bad enough when it comes to winter driving and shoveling snow. They do put alot of salt on the roads here, and it certainly rusts out our cars. This fall, I had to sand, patch and repaint our second car, a 98 Sable Wagon. The next time I get off work at 8 a.m., after working a 12 hour shift, and get to my car to find the windows frosted or covered in snow, I'll think of you all and remember I don't have it so bad.

Happy 4 wheeling.

A girl and her Jeep - a beautiful thing

Barbara Frechette
2010 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
St. Paul, MN, USA
post #20 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Barb,

Just to give a reason for the winter tires around the Montreal area......

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #21 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 02:31 PM

Way to go "Feel for Life" now thats what I am talking about and why I like 4WD. We have three in the driveway. The other two ride on Nokian SUV WR Plus All weather tires and they're great.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #22 of 22 Old 11-20-2010, 04:52 AM
Administrator

Ffl, I love your snow pics! Sure hope you're gonna get some this year, too, provided the snow cooperates lol!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in