Goodyear SR-A's? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 24 Old 05-17-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Goodyear SR-A's?

Hey all. I'm looking to replace my tires in the next couple of months. I've been considering an all-terrain tire, but the 215/65/17 size seems to be pretty hard to come by. The factory tires, apparently, are the Goodyear SR-As. I've seen them in person and I actually think they're quite decent, but the reviews online are less than favorable. Has anyone had these tires and have any advice, positive or negative? I live in Minnesota and we have snow in more months of the year than not, so I am hoping that these are a well rounded tire. Thanks in advance!

Goodyear Wrangler SR-A Tire - Walmart.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-17-2015, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
To be totally honest they are a pretty terrible tire. I had them on my 2008 Patriot and replaced them almost immediately. They also came on my 2012 FDII Compass. I replaced them right away.

Your climate is similar to where I live (Central Saskatchewan in Canada). You can step up to 225/65/17 tires and there is a bit more selection in that size. I did run Cooper AT3 tires in 235/65/17, and they did rub until I added 1.25" spacers. AT3's do come in 235/60/17 which is almost the same diameter as stock.

THe AT3's I had were a great all around tire and did really good in the snow for an all season tire.

What year of compass do you have, i'd be glad to help with your tire selection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 24 Old 05-17-2015, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. And yes, I would welcome the help! I have a 2011 Compass Latitude. 215/65/17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 05-18-2015, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Here is the link to the AT3's I mentioned, I think those would probably be the best all around tire for you use. They are the same diameter, just a bit wider, and shouldn't rub. If you do have a discount tire near you they probably would test fit a tire to make sure it would fit on your vehicle.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #5 of 24 Old 05-18-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

We do have a Discount Tire in town so maybe I'll go check that out. Are there any adverse effects of putting a different size tire on than what is recommended from Chrysler?
post #6 of 24 Old 05-18-2015, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you increase the tire diameter, your speedometer reads slow than it actually is. I run oversize tires, when i'm doing 100 kms/h according to my speedometer, i'm actually doing 104 kms/h.

These tires are .1" larger than factor so your speedo will be virtually the same.

Tire weight will be a bit heavier so you may lose a bit of fuel economy, but not a whole lot.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #7 of 24 Old 05-18-2015, 05:30 PM

Garage
u can go to a dealer and they can reflash ur computer for ur speedometer to read the right speed they did mine I have 235/65/17 which is about 2inches bigger that what non-FDII stock has they did mine for FREE cause it also affect ur odometer which reads ur mileage you have drove on the life of the jeep if u don't get it changed that can void ur mileage warranty that's what they told me anyway
post #8 of 24 Old 05-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm curious to know how they flashed your computer to a non stock size. The max factory size was 28" in diameter.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #9 of 24 Old 05-18-2015, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Tyler, thanks for all your help. I'll probably go with those Coopers. We actually have a Cooper dealer in my town and they've been good to me over the years, so maybe they'll swing me a deal, haha. Should I expect to hear a salesperson try to talk me out of these tires because they're not factory recommended?
post #10 of 24 Old 05-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
They might, I've ran 8 different tire and wheel combinations on my jeep, no ill effects, as long as they can do a test fit you shouldn't have any problems.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #11 of 24 Old 05-20-2015, 08:32 PM

I wouldn't ride on Firestone. They have build two different tires with major defect over my lifetime. The 1st ones (which were also recalled) nearly cost me my existence in 360 spin out at 60mph when the caps came off and nearly ended in a ball of fire. 2nd was on an Explorer but were also recalled before I bought that beast.
I don't trust that company.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #12 of 24 Old 05-20-2015, 08:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
I'm curious to know how they flashed your computer to a non stock size. The max factory size was 28" in diameter.
I took it to a jeep dealer they hooked some kind of wire less thing up to the port under my steering wheel the some things on a computer ther we took it for a test drive and used a gps to track our speed to what the speedometer said then make adjustment needed was right next to him the hole time while he did it
post #13 of 24 Old 05-22-2015, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I wouldn't ride on Firestone.
I don't trust that company.
Me neither. We have a Firestone store here that I wouldn't be caught dead inside ever again.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sad to hear a about your firestone issues, I also ran firestone destination at tires in 245/65/17 but they were big and needed more than just spacers to fit. They were about in par with the AT3s except the at3 were better in the mud than the firestones

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #15 of 24 Old 05-23-2015, 03:37 PM

Anyone running Dueller's on the Compass. I don't think they come in the lower profile sizes needed for the Compass 17" rims. But they have an overall very good rating from actual users. There are many versions also to pick from. I started looking a bit at tire to replace my wifes very noisy Nokian WGR2's this year even though not worn out. Many either don't come in the 17" combo with a profile of 60 or 65 (close enough to stock) or the supplies not carrying them.

Canadian Tire has these on sale but don't list a compatible size. CooperTires ZEON RS3-A

Review good but many authorities as well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #16 of 24 Old 05-23-2015, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't think the Zeon is suited to the compass, its an ultra high performance all season tire, and there is nothing performance in the compass, i'm sure there are other tires that would be more suited to year round use especially in the snow.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #17 of 24 Old 05-24-2015, 01:07 PM

I know Tyler.., they were highly rated by Consumers Reports and price on sale so I thought I'd check further into them. By the time CTC adds balancing, installation and taxes its $695 out the door. LOL Not a deal in my opinion. Too much markup on their base advertised prices. They were rated very good in snow for one that is NON winter certified tire. A lot of other tire chains don't carry Cooper I found. Wonder why?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #18 of 24 Old 05-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I actually have bought 2 sets of tires from Canadian Tire.

Both Goodyear Wrangler Territory

1st set was 225/75/16

2nd set (which i'm running now) is 235/75/15

I bought the tires from them but had them installed by a different shop, I don't trust CT to work on my vehicle. The tires are great year round however they do have some noise which people mind find bothersome.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #19 of 24 Old 05-25-2015, 12:50 PM

In the SUV type of tire Wrangle and Dueller series the space and tire sizes are limited. Your Compass is a different body entirely from the 1st series which I believe ended in 2010. The stock sized and space is different (smaller tire). Not that I am looking for a bigger sized tired. I have learned not to push the size as it can greatly affect gas millage negatively. Although I don't want to compromise the existing ground clearance either.

As for price a tire shop should give a better price if you're buying the tires from them which need to be mounted in place of the existing tires after balancing of course.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #20 of 24 Old 05-28-2015, 04:02 PM

After some research I am thinking the Cooper CS5 Touring tire will be a great fit. It has better performance characteristics than their CS3 tire. I am looking at the 215/65R17 size for my OEM rims.

CooperTiresCanada - CS5 Grand Touring<span class=&#39;trademark&#39;>â„¢</span>

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #21 of 24 Old 06-07-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

I think I may have found the tire that I want. I've done some research and I've seen the Yokohama Geolandar A/T S in person and I really like them. They come in the 225/65/17 size. Of course Amazon says they won't fit on my compass, but they should fit with no rub? Again, my stock tires are 215/65/17.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-07-2015, 04:56 PM

Hmmm
Interesting.... but they do come in OEM sizes see here. That 1" taller than my oem 60 series size by the way. GEOLANDAR A/T-S Off-Road Performance Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #23 of 24 Old 06-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
225/65/17 will fit with absolutely no issues.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #24 of 24 Old 06-19-2015, 05:15 PM

Welll I bit the dust on a new set of tire. Off went the Nokians which were so so noisy.
Wow, quiet smooth ride now better than when I got it even with the Firestones.

General Altimax RT43 in a slightly bigger size with more rubber between the rim and the road. 225R65/17 Width appears the same looking at the rim as the profile when up one notch. A better fit IMO and highly rated everywhere I looked.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in