Aftermarket valve stem caps - will TPMS still work? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 05-01-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket valve stem caps - will TPMS still work?

I found some cool Jeep-logoed valve stem caps that I'd like to put on my 2011 Compass. If I put these aftermarket valve stem caps on will TPMS still work? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Yes, your TPMS will still work with the aftermarket valve stem caps. Just be careful which ones you choose as certain ones have been known to be very difficult to remove, and that's where people tend to break the sensors.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #3 of 10 Old 05-01-2011, 03:39 PM

I am sure someone makes caps with flickering LED when the wheel spins. Kinda like some yoyo's have when spinning. That would drive me to drink if I saw that going down the hwy. Don't do it if you ever see them.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 PM

The metal caps that came with my compass were brutal. I could never remove them except when i used pliers. I could take them off and then put them on finger tight and still couldn't remove them. Finally I just switched to plastic ones but the damage had been done. Hardly any threads left on the stems now and one stem has chip out of it so it makes it difficult to get air in.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-21-2011, 03:40 PM
DMZ

The Compass comes with plastic caps. The stems are aluminum so using metal or brass caps will cause the stem to corrode. Stick to plastic or aluminum caps. If you have to replace the stem(s) they cost around $75.00 each (ouch). If your Compass is still under warranty you might be able to get the dealer to replace your broken stem for free. I went through the same problem as you and broke one of the stems and the dealer replaced it for free cause my warranty was still good.
Good Luck
post #6 of 10 Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
The Compass comes with plastic caps. The stems are aluminum so using metal or brass caps will cause the stem to corrode. Stick to plastic or aluminum caps. If you have to replace the stem(s) they cost around $75.00 each (ouch). If your Compass is still under warranty you might be able to get the dealer to replace your broken stem for free. I went through the same problem as you and broke one of the stems and the dealer replaced it for free cause my warranty was still good.
Good Luck
The logoed ones I bought say they are made from ABS. Will they be OK?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-23-2011, 11:54 PM
DMZ

ABS should be fine.. do they look pretty??
post #8 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 03:12 AM

DMZ, thanks for the info on the valve stem caps. I was thinking of getting a metal novelty one but I guess aluminum would be better for them. I have a question though, what happens when the valve stem corrodes? Do you have to replace the whole wheel?
post #9 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 PM
DMZ

You don't have to replace the wheel, just the stem and pressure sensor which go for about $75. or more. If the stem corrodes using steel or brass caps and you can't take it off with your fingers an you use a wrench or pliers to remove it, you could crack or chip the stem. Thats what happened to me, but luckily my compass is still under warrenty, so the sensor stem(one unit) was replaced free.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 PM

Stick with the plastic cap or you'll find the fancy metal ones on some kids bicycle and you without any. LOL

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in