TPMS valve stem warning - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 11-27-2016, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation TPMS valve stem warning

Having gone through this and cost of repair I am posting this for anyone (must be a lot ) with factor TPMS installed.

The issue is is the valve stems on the wheels are metal (questionable material). I was topping up my tires (new last year) and my front drivers I notice the valve within the stem appeared to be coming out!! This is the key critical visual point to watch for when the cap is removed. There was some white corrosion around it as well but with the stem sticking out so far the air release pin is too far out. A 12V DIY pump with the black plastic ends will go over and pump the tire. Not a gas station brass end type though!! It can't be pumped once flat.

Anyway the valve itself is coming apart and if you screw the cap on snug as I did the air will start releasing without hearing it. Within hours the tire will be flat. My wife was driving on a route to the city on non-highway secondary roads which are 80km/hr limit class one lane. Well the tire went flat and starting making handling and road noise after some time. Upon seeing this and getting help at a nearby gas station as I indicated pumping was impossible because their pump end would not couple. I had to drive back from where I was 150km away to assess and resolve this. I had my portable 12V pump in the back and was able to pump the tire up and saw the issue. I drove it to my selling Jeep dealer in Trenton who had indicated yep is was broken and a piece had come off the top portion exposing the valve which had not moved as I thought it did. A new TPMS valve installed to the tune of $112.xx (expensive item if you do all four!! Its maddening). Turned out the new inside side wall was severely rippled from driving with little or no air. So another tire is now needed. I find out no tire oem offers road hazard anymore so another > $100 expense will be incurred. (tire is on order for next week) so I don't have the final cost.

The only way to avoid at least losing a tire is to keep the cap off the valve as it likely still hold the air in the tire and go to you dealer for a valve replacement. I was told by the tire shop its a dealer part to match the existing sensors etc. to work. If you put on the cap I can guarantee it will run flat and unless you sense the problem soon enough you're going to be paying for a TPMS valve and new tire more than doubling the cost.

So much for the TPMS feature and if the valve stems are not durable. We all have replace tires and you get new valve stems of the rubber type with brass looking tips for the caps to go on. But with the TPMS systems the tire shops won't be replacing them because of the cost you'd be paying and it also is not generic. Hence they have to last, but alas as I found out they don't!!! $$$ big expense

So if your tip of the inner valve is not flush or recessed with the valve collar you will have this problem. Anyone can check this by removing the cap and if you put your finger across the top and air is released its too far out the cap can do the same releasing air and a flat will occur. Simple.

I hope I have saved someone a costly and breakdown situation with this post. It may not be Jeep specific issue so anyone with non rubber valve stems should also check theirs.
zoner99 and wheelin like this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-30-2016, 03:30 PM

Wait, will the same problem occur in the new Jeep Compass or is it a 2009 model problem? I assume Jeep doesn't really change the valve stem material all that often.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-30-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

It could apply to any vehicle which uses the same type, design or manufacturer of TMPS sensor. Most parts are farmed out to some company anywhere in the world. You don't know, cheap metal (its not stainless steel) suffers over time and if this happens it can be costly!! As I can attest to let alone a major inconvenience dealing with a flat.

All you can do it check their condition when you remove the cap which you must be doing several times a year at least topping up the tires. What happen to me can happen to anyone no matter what you drive if it starts coming apart. TPMS sounds like a great idea until you get snow tires on steelies without the expensive sensors and have to deal with the light on in front of you as the dash indicator cannot be turned off. Short of black tape over the area thats all there is to do. If you have to replace a couple of them on you main wheels then the cost is very significant of about $450 for the four. LOL Ouch if I had a choice I'd buy a vehicle without it.

As above its a warning and even the ladies can check this with there wee pinkies. My wife couldn't change tires so I am her CAA. Rescue me she says on her cell phone. It was a big mess and an extra 150km of driving.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-03-2016, 05:21 PM

Garage
Not certain but I believe I have seen the metal valves stems up to 2013 models. My 2014 has the newer rubber style. The metal ones are vulnerable to corrosion, which causes them to get seized in place, and they may crack or even crumble. They should be servicable ie, replace only the stem, but usually they are seized and need to be replaced.
I'd suggest once or twice a year putting on some rust inhibitor spray, or, change them before they get seized. BTW the rubber ones won't last forever either, they will eventually crack or leak.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-03-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

@zoner99

Yes, they appear to know that the metal ones are a problem. There is NO adjustment to lessen the blow of the cost incurred fixing all that is involved. EG $112.xx for the replace valve stem which is EXACTLY THE SAME METAL type!! My tire RE & RE will likely be another $150, I'll know Monday when its put on.

I walked around removing each cap and gave the stems a shot of WD40. If I have another one go I may just opt for the cheap rubber ones as the others fail as well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 10 Old 12-05-2016, 04:08 PM

Spraying the other stems is all you can really do. Depending on often this happens and how much the rubber ones cost, you may as well go rubber.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-05-2016, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Well new tire is on now. The other one was pretty torn up inside with lots of rubber bits by the hand full. The tire shop said I am not the first to have this happen. The metal can also split from the inside out from corrosion and flat goes the tire. The older the wheels the more likely these TPMS sensors will fail on you. If it happens again I think I will forget about them and replace with the rubber standard one we get with a set of new tires. Too expensive and poor technology. This issue would apply to pretty much anyone with metal stem TPMS sensors. Just under $270 for this plus all the gas and time getting it sorted out.

They are not worth it. IMO

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 10 Old 12-06-2016, 03:10 PM

Well, it's lasted longer than expected if you have 136,000km on your Compass before the tire blew. Still a good suggestion to replace the metal with rubber ones as a preventative measure.

The $270 isn't too bad, just a waste of time to get everything fixed.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-06-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelin View Post
Well, ... Still a good suggestion to replace the metal with rubber ones as a preventative measure.
Yeah, the time to really consider swapping them out is when you getting new tires mounted. For countless decades whenever new tires are purchased. The tire shop ALWAYS pulls out the old valve stems and replaces them at no additional cost (always rubber type). If one of the TPMS fails and you opt to replace with a rubber pull through type then you're looking at the dash TPMS light, either way the light is on with one or four standard stems. Electrical tape is what I was told to put over the light to hide it!! LOL There is no way to turn off the light so for those you would not want that on always. Pay the $$$ to keep all valves working.

The killer is that you also lose a tire if the wheel is totally flat and you drive on it. Since the light comes on with low pressure many don't take much notice and figure they'll check or top up tires another day. Well a low tire or Dead Flat is the same thing to the sensing circuit. Its not smart enough to have a Flashing mode or such to indicate an extreme state at one wheel. Yeah next generation sensor will have that, I want royalties for the idea!!!! LOL

The older the vehicle and maybe the climate its in will dictate if and when its likely on its last legs. Close inspection of corrosion (non shiny threads etc) may indicate failure is imminent as well. But if as in post one the inner thread valve appear way out. Then a catastrophe is not far away.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 10 Old 12-07-2016, 05:42 PM

You could always pull the gauge cluster and remove the little t5 led in the back of it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in