Another 15" wheel thread! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 05-05-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Cool Another 15" wheel thread!

So my daughters Cherokee was stolen and recovered and they did enough damage that I decided not to fix it. I did have 2 sets of rims and tires for it, ipike studded winters and a set of all seasons in 215/75R 15 so sold the hulk without the wheels. Yes I searched and researched and yes I know the rims won't fit over the front Caliper.
So really looking for input from people who have used spacers.

215/75R 15 are 0.5" taller than stock 215/60R 17 and 0.3" shorter than stock 215/65R 17 tires so right in the middle.

Looks like a 1" spacer on the front will be plenty to clear the Calipers, I should have measured the stud length last night, don't want to have to trim studs so might have go thicker and don't want the wheels to stick out and spray the side of the body. I don't know if I should bother with rear spacers because of the body spraying issue, difficult to add flares in back with the rear of the back door being flush.

All in all pretty impressed with the car, $2900 at auction with 118k no rust, driving home engine light on and cvt acting a little funny. I felt sick as I didn't want to learn how to rebuild a cvt (doesn't look that tough though). Turned out to be two wires of the transmission harness rubbed through and open circuited. Repaired the wires and harness insulation and problem solved! Took me about 3 hours diagnosis and repair, no USEFUL trouble codes.. You have to know it went to auction because of the transmission issue!

Last edited by Wild Bill; 05-05-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-05-2017, 05:01 PM

What about mud flaps ? Stud length shouldn't matter because with spacers that big, they'll come with pressed in studs or extended studs that you have to press in anyhow.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-05-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

It's the original stud length that matters if they extend past the spacer, I'll check before I order. Mud flaps easy for front however just concerned about the front of the rear wheel well. The rear door edge is part of the wheel well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-08-2017, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

So i was looking for answers and all of them were not provided by searching, no one offering information how to do it with factory rims. I will say I did some more searching and found a post saying 1" spacers would require some axle flange stud trimming so not to stick out past the spacer. I measured to confirm and didn't want to cut studs in case I wanted to go back to factory 17" so I picked up some 1 1/4" spacers and installed them on the front. Test fit showed the nuts provided stick out past the spacer and require trimming to install the spacers, only about .010" however would create a problem if you didn't notice. Perhaps the manufacturer intended the lug nuts for the wheels however since most of us want to use acorn nuts on our mags and the acorn nuts would be to long to mount the spacers it would be nice if the lug nuts would work without alteration. I can say that I feel 1 1/4" spacers are needed to clear the Caliper with factory rims. I tried 3 different factory types of rims and about 1/4" to 5/16" clearance. With 215/75 R 15 tires I would say the tread is about even or slightly inside top fender line, might need bigger mud flaps. The 15" rubber rides smother and quieter than the 17's, we end up with studded winters and all seasons pretty much new for the price of spacers. You don't need to do anything for the rears unless you don't like the idea or look of a narrower track for the rear. If it didn't work I would have to kijiji the stuff however 15" isn't really in demand. Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by Wild Bill; 05-08-2017 at 01:35 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
MB CHoas 5 15" wheel from discount tire, works with zero modifications or spacers needed, that's what I ran on my Compass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in