Winter Tire and Tire Ratings - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 09-22-2017, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Winter Tire and Tire Ratings

Living up North here in Canada. I purchased a 2018 Compass with original 215/65 R16 Tire with 98H load and speed rating. My plan is to get a set of Winter tires and saw a set of Hankook 215/65 R16 Ipike RSV with 98T load and speed rating which is priced to fit my budget.

My question is, will the T speed rating vs H speed rating matter for snow tires ? I read conflicting information regarding speed rating on winter tires and would like to have members chime in and provide advice before i make the purchase.

Please bear in mind that the door information sticker does not have any information regarding speed H vs T information as required, just the tire size and load requirement. I could not find any such information in the owner's manual as well.

I only drive 10 mins to work and do very little driving during the winter months.

Last edited by yuji22; 09-22-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-22-2017, 03:39 AM

Garage
This is from consumer reports:
"Speed rating
Speed rating. This letter denotes the maximum sustainable speed and is found directly after the load index. For S-speed-rated tires, it's 112 mph; for T, 118 mph. Speed ratings for other tires include Q, 99 mph; H, 130 mph; V, 149 mph; and Z, 150 mph plus. While such speeds may seem wildly impractical, tires with higher speed ratings tend to provide better handling at legal speed limits. Except for winter tires, choose tires that have a speed rating at least as high as the one specified on your vehicle's placard and consult the owner's manual. Speed rating may vary by size."

Personally, I'd be more concerned with the tire itself than the speed rating. I've had one set of Hankook tires. They were Dynapro ATMs. They looked great. Agressive tread, good traction, they were great in snow, but I couldn't keep the things balanced and led to shakes and wobbles at highway speeds. Then I started reading reviews (should have done that first) and saw that this was a common problem. I know it's a different tire than the Ipike, and they were on a pick-up truck, not an SUV. So my suggestion is to definitely read reviews BEFORE you settle on a particular tire.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-22-2017, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. Will check out more reviews. Most of the reviews were positive on the Ipike RSV, will inquire a bit more before making a decision.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in