TIRE QUESTION 2016 2.0 cvt - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 03-19-2018, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

TIRE QUESTION 2016 2.0 cvt

Hello. So im coming from a 2009 Frontier pickup(Totaled unfortunately) and this little jeep is definitely a change for me. Im not looking to do any crazy offroading with this thing but i do what i can. looking to gain a little ground clearance and possibly go with a mild offroad tire. I do unfortunately only have the 2.0 fwd with the cvt. Not my first choice but it was a smokin deal for a 2016. Any one have any experience with this model and some offroad tires? i was looking at a set of geolander AT/S i feel like it might be overkill for this transmission and engine combo. or if anyone can recommend a good tire in general that will preform a little better offroad than stocks? if not off road my next choice was some Cooper CS5 Grand Tourings mainly just for the 80k mile warranty. any advice is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Garage
Need to know a bit more to give you a specific suggestion. ie, 16 or 17" wheels, will you be using the stock wheels. Things to consider: will you be driving in snow, are you concerned about fuel economy, or tread life, what's your budget for this.
All terrain (AT) tires like the Geolandar AT/S, broadly speaking, perform better off road but lose some on-road traction, give poorer fuel economy, and will have more tread noise than a typical all season tire.
Most tire manufacturers also produce a tire more like what you are asking for, tires with a bit more off road ability but not full AT's. The manufacturers vary in what they call these tires but for example, General Grabber HTS 60's are described as "highway terrain all-season".
In terms of size I like 225/70 16s, or 225/65 17s as a size that is bigger than stock but shouldn't require any mods to the vehicle to fit them, assuming stock wheel offset.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-20-2018, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

16in stock wheels. i was thinking 225 70 for the size. dont do much driving in the snow. maybe 3-4 times a year. not too concerned with a hit of a few mpgs since i will be driving a company vehicle back and forth to work so this will be more of the weekend ride. not worried about road noise. im kind of torn between those and the hts 60s now. i really want an off road tire but at the same time im also not offroad that much so not sure im gaining anything. leaning towards the HTS60s because Americas tire has a good price and a mail in rebate. but then again those geolanders would look great haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-20-2018, 02:25 PM

Garage
Agreed I also like an aggressive looking tire

I haven't driven the 2.0 engine personally, but I suspect you don't want to add much rolling resistance to that vehicle. Something like the HTS 60 is probably a good compromise.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-22-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

yeah not a huge difference from the 2.4 but you notice it. So went with the HTS60s lol thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in