2018 17' Trailhawk wheels on my 2019 Sport 4 cylinder manual 6 speed? - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tripod

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

2018 17' Trailhawk wheels on my 2019 Sport 4 cylinder manual 6 speed?

Would these fit?

My 2019 car came with 16' alloys and 215/65R16 tires.
The Trailhawk wheels I'm looking to buy are from a 2018 and are:

Material: Aluminum
Style: 10 Slot
Finish: Black Polished
Size: 17x6.5
Lugs: 5
Bolt Pattern: 110mm (5 x 110)
Offset: 40mm
Center Bore: 65.1mm

Equipped with FALKEN 215/65R17 Tires

Thanks for any help or info.
Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaEastKTM View Post
Would these fit?

My 2019 car came with 16' alloys and 215/65R16 tires.
The Trailhawk wheels I'm looking to buy are from a 2018 and are:

Material: Aluminum
Style: 10 Slot
Finish: Black Polished
Size: 17x6.5
Lugs: 5
Bolt Pattern: 110mm (5 x 110)
Offset: 40mm
Center Bore: 65.1mm

Equipped with FALKEN 215/65R17 Tires

Thanks for any help or info.
Cheers!
They should
post #3 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking but might be close or chance of rubbing. Has anyone tried this?
Same sidewall so adding the inch on the wheel plus the same sized sidewall I wouldn't mind knowing if anyone had success with these?
Other then speedo being out slightly and possible rubbing is there anything else I should look out for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-14-2019, 06:27 PM

It should be fine, you are only increasing your overall diameter about 1 inch and the width of the tires are approximately the same. I'm pretty sure any stock 2nd gen Compass/Renegade wheel and tire will fit on any trim level, they don't really have any suspension differences that we know of (don't tell the trailhawk guys that though, they think they are special).

I recently bought a set of Compass Trailhawk rims and tires but I have not tried bolting them on yet (been a busy summer). I will try to do that soon but it won't tell you anything for certain probably since mine is a Limited trim with the 18 inch rims running 225/55R18 tires. Still, it will be a good experiment I need to get done.

The Sport trim comes with the smallest tires out of any package but if you search the forum we have seen some people put some fairly beefy tires on their Sports hence why I say it will likely be fine. Your speedometer would be off, reading 2-3 MPH slower than you are actually going unless your dealer is nice enough to reprogram the tire circumference for you but even if they don't that is not a big deal, just something to be aware of.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-14-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
It should be fine, you are only increasing your overall diameter about 1 inch and the width of the tires are approximately the same. I'm pretty sure any stock 2nd gen Compass/Renegade wheel and tire will fit on any trim level, they don't really have any suspension differences that we know of (don't tell the trailhawk guys that though, they think they are special).

I recently bought a set of Compass Trailhawk rims and tires but I have not tried bolting them on yet (been a busy summer). I will try to do that soon but it won't tell you anything for certain probably since mine is a Limited trim with the 18 inch rims running 225/55R18 tires. Still, it will be a good experiment I need to get done.

The Sport trim comes with the smallest tires out of any package but if you search the forum we have seen some people put some fairly beefy tires on their Sports hence why I say it will likely be fine. Your speedometer would be off, reading 2-3 MPH slower than you are actually going unless your dealer is nice enough to reprogram the tire circumference for you but even if they don't that is not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

Thanks for the reply arudlang.
This is what I was thinking also, and figured would ask for the reprogram of my speedo if not too expensive.
I just wasn't sure if suspension or braking componentry was different on the Trailhawk or not, but if the same then these should be perfect.

Cheers!
post #6 of 17 Old 06-14-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Actually just got off the line with my dealer and said the same thing they are interchangeable and no issues other then speedo which is very negligible difference.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-14-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
they don't really have any suspension differences that we know of
Suspension is different according to Jeeps model built catalog. Although it is unclear what is the difference since the only info Jeep gives on the subject is only a note that says something like "provides better off-road handling". The only info I can find on it are anecdotal evidence given by reviewers and spokesmans that suggest it is a softer strut that givens an additional inch of lift.

I think the only real evidence we have is based on different part numbers for suspension components for TH and other trims. As en example, below are the rights hand side front struts for Compass. If you look at the diagrams, they are definitely different (especially the assembly diagram). I tittled the links based on how Mopar put in the description.

For "4WD, W/TRAILHAWK"

https://parts.northpointchryslerjeep...ItNGwtbDQtZ2Fz

For "4WD, W/O OFF ROAD"

https://parts.northpointchryslerjeep...bC1sNC1nYXM%3D
post #8 of 17 Old 06-14-2019, 08:58 PM

Even Mopar's parts site is contradictory and inconsistent though. Your first link says "Position: left" so that could be the difference, the other link says "Right" but I also noticed in the second link at the bottom of the page under "Vehicle Fitment" it says "Latitude, Limited, Sport, Trailhawk" so... I'm not sure. They list the same part numbers on both those pages for the springs and dust boots and all that.

There probably is some slight difference in the TH strut but I'm thinking just in the charge/dampening characteristics at most. Someday I would love to see one of each side by side, TH owners desperately want to believe they got longer struts or something for their money other than an appearance package, some tinfoil-thin skid plates and the 2nd-gear start trick.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-15-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Wonder if it's valving in the struts and different weight rating on the springs even though using same part numbers.

Curious, I'm actually looking for the appearance of the latitude. Would I be able to fit the latitude 18" on my sport without any issues?
post #10 of 17 Old 06-15-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Wonder if it's valving in the struts and different weight rating on the springs even though using same part numbers.

Curious, I'm actually looking for the appearance of the latitude. Would I be able to fit the latitude 18" on my sport without any issues?

Who knows. Jeep is very indirect and secretive about what is the difference. There must be some difference, otherwise they cannot advertise a different suspension for TH. But I doubt there is something major. What is the price difference between TH and limited trim? Couple of thousands at at best. You can fit an entirely different suspension on a car for such a narrow price difference (and there are other marked differences for TH, so the suspension should make even a smaller percentage of that difference).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Yes the Latitude rims should fit as well as far as I know.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the reply.
I think I might look for the 18" latitude wheels if I'm spending the money since the difference on my 16" sport and the 17" TH wheels won't be much anyway.

Quote:
Yes the Latitude rims should fit as well as far as I know.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks again for the reply.
I think I might look for the 18" latitude wheels if I'm spending the money since the difference on my 16" sport and the 17" TH wheels won't be much anyway.
Just a head up, you will have a limited selection of tires with the 18" rims as the size 225/55 R18 is not a common tire dimension.

To a lower extend, same is also true for 17" TH tires as well. There is 1 or 2 AT tires at that rim specifications.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod
Just a head up, you will have a limited selection of tires with the 18" rims as the size 225/55 R18 is not a common tire dimension.
Yep, very limited selection of tires for the 18 inch rim.

There is an okay selection of highway-touring and grand-touring all-season tires for the 18s (thanks to their popularity on more expensive SUVs like Audis and BMWs), but tons more options for the 17 inch rims and they are on average cheaper per-tire as well. The 18s look really good but nobody makes much for aggressive-treaded tires for those rims with short enough sidewalls to fit our applications. So if you want some kind of all-terrain tire or knobby-looking aggressive mud tire there is absolutely nothing small and light enough in an 18 inch rim. You can do some online searching to confirm.

My wife and I have spent a long time agonizing over the limited options for tires in both of these rim sizes (we have one set of 18s and one set of 17s for this Compass now). Its tough because we use it for everything. It is a daily driver that takes me to work and back on the highway and we do a lot of road trips, so we want tires that last a while and have good tread life, but here in northern MN we deal with months of ice and snow so winter traction is a priority. We put on technically mostly highway miles, but sometimes in mountainous areas during winter. Yesterday we went and drove some trails, scoping out remote camping sites and navigating some mud. Its hard enough to find the right do-it-all-long-lasting tire for the 17s, on the 18s its really tough.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Yep, very limited selection of tires for the 18 inch rim.

There is an okay selection of highway-touring and grand-touring all-season tires for the 18s (thanks to their popularity on more expensive SUVs like Audis and BMWs), but tons more options for the 17 inch rims and they are on average cheaper per-tire as well. The 18s look really good but nobody makes much for aggressive-treaded tires for those rims with short enough sidewalls to fit our applications. So if you want some kind of all-terrain tire or knobby-looking aggressive mud tire there is absolutely nothing small and light enough in an 18 inch rim. You can do some online searching to confirm.

My wife and I have spent a long time agonizing over the limited options for tires in both of these rim sizes (we have one set of 18s and one set of 17s for this Compass now). Its tough because we use it for everything. It is a daily driver that takes me to work and back on the highway and we do a lot of road trips, so we want tires that last a while and have good tread life, but here in northern MN we deal with months of ice and snow so winter traction is a priority. We put on technically mostly highway miles, but sometimes in mountainous areas during winter. Yesterday we went and drove some trails, scoping out remote camping sites and navigating some mud. Its hard enough to find the right do-it-all-long-lasting tire for the 17s, on the 18s its really tough.

I think the only AT tire for the 17" rims (@215/65 R17) is the new Falken AT tires. They released those tires for this in the past 6 months or so. There are some others that will fit with slightly different dimensions, but if you want OEM dimensions there is only a single option.

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/lig...peaka/t3w-tire
arudlang likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 02:42 PM

That looks like a great tire for the 17 inch rim. Too bad no viable 18 inch option but looking at their sizes it feels like they bent over backwards just to make that one small size 17 for us as a favor, all the other 17s are huge. 9.5mm of tread depth is pretty good for tires in our stock size.

People with the 18 inch rim still stuck with the Geolandar G015 from Yokohama as their A/T tire option, but that is a good tire too.

If I had to go buy tires tomorrow I would get the Goodyear Assurance Weatherreadys, for our purposes. They have good size options for all the rim sizes. I'm hoping to eventually justify jumping up one size in tire for the beefy look, but that will hinge on weather we keep it once the lease is up. I'll switch to the 17s I bought with the factory Falken Wildpeak H/Ts late this fall and those should carry me though to the end of the lease and beyond, but that would be about the time I'd get the goodyears on my 18 inch rims to have ready for special winter mountain trips.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great advice and dialogue.
In my case luckily I'm just looking for average hwy/road/touring tires to go with the 18" latitude wheels I'm after.
Go on some dirt roads quite often but nothing that requires special tires.
Yeah I know about the unfortunate limitations of both the 17 and 18 tire specs to fit these wheels. But I plan to use my existing 16" for winters and buy some latitude 18" for the rest of the year for that nice full look in the wheel wells.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in