Go from 225 60R17 to 225 55R17 winter tires? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 08-21-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Go from 225 60R17 to 225 55R17 winter tires?

Hi all, I am technically challenged lol and have a 2018 Compass North with 225 60R17 tires on it stock. I have a chance at some used blizzaks that are 225 55R17 - no rims with them though. Called jeep they say no problem, they are a little smaller but should be fine.

Advice? I can't afford new - single mom budget so this is a very reasonable option! $125 for all four and still lots of tread.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-21-2019, 09:41 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

You should be fine. As your dealer said, they're a tad smaller, but by an insignificant amount.

The price is a steal!

You are wise to get dedicated snow tires! IMO the OEM tires are not so good in snow. I got caught in an early season snowstorm last fall and the OEM tires were barely adequate and certainly not impressive. The Blizzaks should do much better for you in winter conditions.

Please drive careful out there and don't overestimate AWD. AWD only gets you going in deep snow. Those Blizzaks will help you corner better and stop sooner. The rest is up to the tires . . . and you. May you and your munchkins have a safe and happy winter!
post #3 of 4 Old 08-22-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
You should be fine. As your dealer said, they're a tad smaller, but by an insignificant amount.

The price is a steal!

You are wise to get dedicated snow tires! IMO the OEM tires are not so good in snow. I got caught in an early season snowstorm last fall and the OEM tires were barely adequate and certainly not impressive. The Blizzaks should do much better for you in winter conditions.

Please drive careful out there and don't overestimate AWD. AWD only gets you going in deep snow. Those Blizzaks will help you corner better and stop sooner. The rest is up to the tires . . . and you. May you and your munchkins have a safe and happy winter!
Thank you!!! Yes I put alot of miles on driving for hockey for my teenage daughter in the winter..... we did live up in Northern BC until last summer and had "real" winter weather and my Jeep managed just fine with the stock tires but I wished I had of had real winters then. We get hit and miss winters here in Southern BC (north vancouver island) but where we live gets a fair amount of snow and had some real winter weather here last year. We tend to get alot of rain and our snow here is wet which makes driving very interesting lol!!! Lots of ice and black ice here. So I will feel just a little bit more comfortable with winters on the road so much.

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-23-2019, 12:28 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Obviously you are an experienced driver in winter conditions. My warning was because so many people buy a Jeep or any AWD and take on a blizzard thinking they're going to stick to the road like velcro. I agree that warm snow is the worst. For a number of years we lived fairly close to the coast and often it was just barely cold enough to snow. That warm sticky stuff piles up quickly and plugs up the tire treads. That's when it gets real slippery.

I hope your daughter has a winning season. Go team, yay rah rah!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in