Compass in snow - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 08-30-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Compass in snow

I just purchased a 2011 Jeep Compass last week. So far I am really enjoying it! I did have a question about the tires. I live in North Dakota and we can get a fair amount of snow. The last few winters have really dumped on us. Most storms bring 6-10 inches of snow. I'm just wondering how the Compass will perform in the snow. I do have 4x4 and the all terrain OWL tires. Will those tires perform well in the snow? I've never had to purchase snow tires before and haven't had a lot a problems in the past (I have had a few but mostly due to clearance issues...) so I don't want to go down that road if I don't have to. But I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about these tires and how they might handle in my snowy conditions. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 01:47 AM

I don't know where you're located due to lack of info in your signature etc. I have year round snows as per my signature and I can walk through pretty deep snow. Snow tires have the snowflake symbol. Anything esle is all season which is effectively summer etc. If you live where is snows and you want traction, get snow tires (snowflake sympbo on them at minium) enough said nothing else is engineered for the snow or cold.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-09-2011, 04:22 AM

Hey there. I live in your neighboring state of Minnesota. We bought our Compass last summer. I went through the winter here with the tires that were on it when I bought it. We had a lot of snow storms, many of which exceeded 20 inches. (by the way, I have 2 wheel drive). I am considered an "essential" employee and am required to appear at work, regardless of the weather. I never didn't make it to work, and never got stuck.

I haven't had snow tires on a vehicle since the 80's when radial tires and fwd became the norm.

A girl and her Jeep - a beautiful thing

Barbara Frechette
2010 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
St. Paul, MN, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-09-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply! I didn't think I was going to have much for issues in the snow but I start to second guess myself when that's all I read on these forums is that you HAVE TO HAVE snow tires if you want to get through the snow. I've lived in North Dakota all my life and I've never owned a set of snow tires. Heck, I don't even KNOW anyone (personally) that's ever purchased them. The only times I've had problems was when I owned cars and they would get high-centered in too much snow.
I appreciate the response from someone living so close that experiences very similar winters.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 PM

Heck, I drove last winter on the stock firestones with mine and never had a single issue, except a few times when I wasn't using 4x4 I almost got stuck, but didn't.

2010 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4, Natural Green Pearl
Winner of COTM November 2011
Winner of COTM March 2012
post #6 of 14 Old 09-10-2011, 01:59 AM

I live in Northern Ontario and have never had snow tires on our Compass, we have winter from Oct-May.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-10-2011, 02:58 PM

North York, Ontario, Canada

I work from home and rarely have to drive to the headquarters in Markham. I never used winter tires on my previous cars (minivans). It's important to go very slow on curves and not brake abruptly.

We got our compass this summer and I'll once again go through the winter without winter tires.

Jeep Compass 2011
North Package
FWD 4dr
post #8 of 14 Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 PM

You-all must have got horse shoes for Christmas it seems. Must have been a tail wind blowing you down hill at times through the snow.

Good luck.

On another note. Traction works two ways.
- to get you going and keep you going without loosing control on icey surfaces
- to get you stopped with the optimum traction in the shortest distance/least sliding

Its all in the rubber and treads of tires. Many so call all season tires are suicide in the winter largely due to the rubber and some the threads being non lugged for snow.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 09-15-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
post #9 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 01:37 PM

I bought 4 x Michelin X-ice for this winter, will see what's happen! BTW I never got a 4x4 during winter
post #10 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtune View Post
I bought 4 x Michelin X-ice for this winter, will see what's happen! BTW I never got a 4x4 during winter
The biggest thing with 4x4 or AWD is that you don't get a tail spin out pulling out around a corner in the city drive especial since the rear wheels have power. In our cause its either power transfered to the rear on demand (partial slip detected) or you activate 4x4 mode with the lever ahead of the console box. You go with confidence with that setup I know. Good luck and enjoy.

All Seasons loose the majority of traction when it gets close to freezing and like last winter her a good porsion of the winter was -15 to-20 the coldest I even seen in the GTA in decades and for so so long. At those temperatures most all seasons are reduced to flexible plastic equivalent and the ones who loose control and skid into other who are equipped with the right tires for the time of year.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #11 of 14 Old 09-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Especially with me, when I visiting my father he leave in Rimouski (down to St Lawrence River) so a lot of snow during winter down there.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

We just got our first dumping-on of snow overnight. Gotta love the weather people forecasting NO SNOW. I haven't had any issues today in the 5 inches of snow we got. Kinda wish we would have got more and that I didn't have to work so I could go play!
post #13 of 14 Old 08-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Rok

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
You-all must have got horse shoes for Christmas it seems. Must have been a tail wind blowing you down hill at times through the snow.

Good luck.

On another note. Traction works two ways.
- to get you going and keep you going without loosing control on icey surfaces
- to get you stopped with the optimum traction in the shortest distance/least sliding

Its all in the rubber and treads of tires. Many so call all season tires are suicide in the winter largely due to the rubber and some the threads being non lugged for snow.
The other consideration beyond the lugs is the rubber compound itself. Winter tires are a softer compound than regular street tires. This also may explain why they won't LAST very well during the warmer months.
On ICE, all bets are off. Studs are the best solution, IMHO.

In Washington State, we get black ice several times a year, sometimes lasting on/off for days and occasionally for weeks. Accummulations of snow OTOH are rare. With any of the above, the greatest peril on the road are other drivers, much more than weather or road conditions.

Rok
post #14 of 14 Old 08-11-2013, 02:50 PM

We get that now and then here as well (black ice). No ice is fun to drive on and if the road is icy. 4x4 or not I won't go out on it. Its hard enough to manage under normal circumstances but so many people here drive with summer tires (all seasons). You're almost guaranteed to get hit somewhere.

Ontario does not allow STUDS !!! Ice radial may appear to work on the ice rink commercials but try them on the road. Not good enough.

I am undecided what to do next near. Optimo 4S or maybe a set of steel rimmed basic snow tires instead. My Nokians have another year left in them but the noise from the tire cupping does get on my nerves. Nothing can be done with the tires. I won't buy them again.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in