My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original owner 06 Compass. Front passenger side noise going over bumps. 48,000 miles - sounds like suspension but no visible problems. Tires few thousand miles w/no uneven wear. No vibration. Recently changed front breaks (not at dealer) but noise still exist. Dealer's says noises are hard to diagnose and to basically ignore it until it gets worse! Appears front end problems are common in the Compass. Don't want dealer to 'repair' at $$$$ and still have problem. Suggestions?

·
Registered
339 Posts
must be one of those early concept compass models, before they released them to the general public for the 2007 MY ;)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Have you checked your front suspension bushings? Other than shocks/struts, those will make a similar noise when the bushings are worn. That's where I'd look first and those are relatively inexpensive and not difficult to do. BTW, welcome to the forum, be sure to stop by the newbie section and introduce yourself! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ok, my friends. If you are like me I like a quiet ride so from time to time I check my car for sources of noise. Here's what I found. If the noise appears to be coming from the left side and sounds kind of like pvc tubes being banged together then most likely it is not from your suspension. I have a '07 and '06, '07 are basically the same. If this sound I mentioned comes from the driver's side, check the air filter mounts and the computer.

Believe it or not, the three bushings holding the air filter housing make a lot of noise. Yes it is made of rubber so it should be quiet right? NO !!!! Remove the air filter housing completely to expose the three rubber bushings. With your hand or a small rubber hammer, bang (lightly) on the black steel bracket and you will hear the noise I'm talking about. As for the computer, there are only three screws that mount the part to its bracket and because of this, it rattles when your tire runs over a rough pavement. To remove the noise, apply silicone atv around the bushings and between the computer bracket and the computer itself. YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID ! The noise will disappear. Other sources of noise is the plastic engine cover. The little ball headed mounting screws become loose and cause rattles. Don't overtighten as it is made of hard plastic lest it will crack.

Also check your glove compartment if the noise appears to be coming from the right or passenger side. I found a flashlight and a gas lighter in my compartment that was making a racket.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Turn up the music or does it make noise as well rather then sweet sounds? LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts