My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
My Compass occassionaly 'Squeals' when I turn the key. It's as if the Starter Motor isn't engaging properly. I took it to the dealer, but typically it worked fine then and he couldn't find the fault. It's getting gradually worse and I'm worried that I could be damaging the starter and/or the flywheel.
Has anyone come across this before?
#Edit#
Should add;
2.0 Litre Diesel
6 Speed Manual Transmission
Compass CRD

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
First I must welcome you the the forum....hope you'll enjoy our little community.......

As for your situation, the problem I have is that we in North America don't have this model here .......could be hard to be accurate.........I hope some Europeen members might pitch in.....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sounds like the starter is only spinning but the solenoid isn't pushing the gear to engage the flywheel. That's what I would look at first.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Might be a couple of things -
1- The bushing/bearing on the end of the starter piston shaft could be wearing out or even seized. I had one seize (then break apart on my old Ranger) It "sqealed" on cold engine starts, but rarely when the truck was warmed up.
2- The fly wheel and/or starter gears may be damaged - missing teeth or teeth worn partly so the gears don't engage even though the starter is firing properly (happened on my wife's old Trooper II).
Unfortunately, the only way to check either of these 2 is to pull the starter and check it out. On this side of the pond, most auto parts shops will test the starter for free.
To check the teeth on the flywheel, you'll need to manually advance the engine little by little once you've pulled the starter, and check the teeth as they pass by the opening where the starter was.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Agreed ^^^^ and welcome to the forum! Looks like you're getting some good advice, so let us know how you make out. Good luck and hope you enjoy the site! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a similar problem... here is my story.

2007 2.4ltr auto trans...

Mine lately wont start in the mornings, It starts after about 20 min of trying.

Wird things happen while im trying.

Wipers go off (but they are turned off)

Stereo starts to look for a cd (also turned off)

A knocking sound comes from engine compartment, as if there was not enough juice in the battery... but I know the battery is good.

Then after 20 to 30 min of attempting it starts as if nothing happen.

I am thinking it has something to do with the starter not getting the juice it needs to go off, and the fuel pump no sending the fuel to the engine.

Anyone?... I hate to take it to dealership warranty expired a month ago.

Thank you!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bout ye dselfridge. I'm up country from ye in the North, Omagh, Co. Tyrone. Bought my compass in January and is the same engine with the same problem. Mine is actually progressed to banging off the fly wheel, so I'm worried about the dual mass fly wheel, so I have left it with the non franchise dealer in Dungannon on Thursday 25th. It will be with them until next week. See my post in introductions. I will post on it with any further progression.

Raff.

Petrus, check for a bad earth connection from battery to body !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wife got angry, so we decided to take it to Dealership...

So far when we arrived and turn it in, they said It could be the battery. And I would agree, but it is not my first car and I know how a car behaves when the battery is low.

To start... in every car I've had if battery was bad, the battery light would turn on, in this case it was the ignition was the one that would turn on. If you have a bad battery, car would never start... This one starts sometimes after 30 min of trying, It should be the other way around, the more you try the harder it gets for it to turn on.

I'll post once I get back from dealer and what they did to fix it, together with the dollar amount.

Thank you for sharing Raff !

Petrus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bit of disappointment...

According to the Dealer it was just the battery, and it was all they replaced.

Then they tried to trick me into installing new break pads front and rear. (They said rear was almost metal to metal, and front to barely have 2 mm left)... Truth was, break pads in rear still had 1/2 life left, and only 2mm have been used up on front.

Anyhow... I had to pay a bit over 130 dollars to get my battery replaced, something tells me something else was done, and they just won't tell me.

For all that I know, my compass is back in the road with no problems... hoping to not have this problem again.

Good luck to you all and have fun.

Petrus.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Actually Petrus, that sounds about right but check your service order, that's where you find all the "miscellaneous charges" like shop materials and the like.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
186 Posts
A one year guaranteed battery at Wal-Mart sells for around $65 carry out. I would imagine that a good, fully warranted battery installed over at WM would run around the same amount.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Hmm, I would take my ride to another dealer. Especially if you are not getting realist feedback. If the battery is that low you typically get solenoid chatter and the starter will not really engage or crack. Likely defective mechanically unless the contacts are burn't. Keep the receipt and when it does it again. Go back to the dealer and tell them the problem is still there and when they actually fix the starter etc. Show them that and say you had be buy a new battery when it was not the problem and never show signs of being low!!! If they give you the too back line. Call and report them to Chrysler.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies people
My jeep is in a Garage as I type. They are sending the starter to get refurbed. Probably cost 3-400 euro including labour which is a pain but a fair price I suppose. I Got recommended to this Garage by a work colleague and jeep owner as the dealership where I bought the Car from has a brutal reputation for after sales care apparently. (they couldn't find a fault when I took it to them!).

I mentioned about an unusual 'rattle' and this turns out to be a knackered front right suspension arm!! God knows what that will cost and how long it will take to get the spare with all flights grounded thanks to the volcano.
I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Rebuild starters or alternators are rarely more than $100. Might be 100£ for you there but they should tell you in advance. Tie rod ends are a known problem at least on the 07 & 08's from what I have read here. I don't know if 09's have better quality rods or not.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks tripplec. I'll see what the final cost is for the starter. I just hope that the Flywheel is OK or there's more expense!
Mines a 07 model with the 2.0L Diesel engine.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Unless you have been cranking while its been running already your flywheel must be fine. I have not heard of someone cracking a flywheel in decades. The bendex don't push in as hard I guess anymore even if its done accidently once or twice. This is still an early failure for a starter. You should go after Chysler customer service their and see if they'll cover the repair. If your warranty just finished you may get an extended coverage and could be also part of the power train.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Saga continues!
Garage now have the starter motor repaired and installed and when testing, the fault re-occured. Upon further investigation, it seems a few teeth are missing on the flywheel. So new flywheel Required. Garage were full of apologies for missing that at the start and got onto Jeep to see if they would cover some of the cost. As I'm out of my Warranty.
Jeep offered to cover 50% of the parts only (not labour) but that still leaves me with a €1200 bill and a week to wait for the flywheel.
I've also got a knackered suspension arm to replace on top of that!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Wow, why so much. Starters new may be expensive but rebuilds are usually pretty cheap. Teeth should not break off unless abused starting proceedure. EG starter engaged while the engine is already running.

I would call Chrysler directly yourself. If the starter was good the why would the flywheel break and loose teeth. Manufacturing defect likely.

I don't know whats going on there with either the manufacturer and/or mechanic but replacement starter as available in the $2xx.00 ball park and most mechanics can swap them in an hour or less. I did a quick search and a variety come up including high torque starter which should crank a diesel engine. You need to call rebuilder and/or part sources. You are paying astronomical rates. Have a look. autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND%28wpn_tl_name:Engine+%26+Drivetrain,wpn_cat_name:Starters\%2C+Alternators\%2C+Batteries+%26+Components,wpn_scat_name:Starter%29

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hanx tripplec for the guidance. At least your more efficient than Jeep UK. I purchased my car new in Jan from a non franchise dealer. When the starter played up after 3 months of ownership, I took it back to the non franchise dealer who gave me a replacement car and took the Jeep to the Main Jeep dealer. My car has been at the Main Jeep dealer for 5 weeks now with no sign of repair. I contacted Jeep UK but they don't seem to understand the term "CUSTOMER CARE". They are going to contact me with a confirmation date for the starter and ring gear that is on back order, this, appearantly may take another 2 weeks. The Jeep dealer admits that this is unacceptable but what do they do ?.............. nothing. The non franchise dealer is treating me better than the Jeep dealer.
One thing I've learned from Jeep UK is that if the car is recovered from the road side, you have more entitlements than if it was booked into the dealer and a fault was found.
Lesson learned...............carry a hammer!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts