My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm looking to get a trailer hitch installed on my Compass. It's a 2008 CVT 4x2 with no towing package. What should I get installed? From what I've been reading, a Class III hitch is what most recommend. With that, what would by towing capacity be, with and without the cooler?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Get a CLASS III they are a sturdier hitch and offers the most flexibility afterwards. The amount you can town is limited by the Compass and brakes. You might manage with 1500lbs but stopping will be a big challenge with its brakes from my experience. I found it difficult near 1000lbs of weight.

See the chart I posted in the other thread on "Tranny Cooler" in this section.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Towing with Compass

I have a 2014 Sport 4X2 with the automatic. I had the dealer install a class II hitch and oil cooler. It tows my rig (which weighs around 1,000 lbs) with very little effort. The specs say it is good up to 2000 lbs with the oil cooler. I do notice the weight when using the brakes- the Sport model with FWD has drum brakes on the rear. It stops OK but takes a little longer to stop. Maybe disc brakes would be better when towing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts