My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time post. Hope I found the right section. Was changing out control arms today on the 08 sport and when removing the ball joint end of the arm I had something go bad at the tranny end of the axle (driver side) and caused a massive leak of black fluid. Axle seal? I'm just starting to research this and really could use some help. Need to get fixed quickly. Thanks in advance heres some pics.

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
The fluid leaking is CVT fluid, on my old 08 Patriot I had a front axle seal, that was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If that's where the drip starts, its oil from the CVT. The axles don't have fluid, just grease inside the rubber boots.

The seal might be damaged or maybe the axle came out while you were working on the control arm. Try moving the axle in and out, it should not move. If it does, just tap it back in until it locks into place.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
There could be an integrated differential there. No sure but I know my seals all leaked and shafts failed. I have had the seals replaced and one twice at the diff in my case which leaked very bad after being changed and had to do it again the same day. This all also happened on a new CVT since it was replace earlier.

Parts on these really suck fortunately done under warranty. I do my oil changes and look around while under for these problems before I get stuck with the bill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was leaning toward it being the differential, but theres no drain plug on the bottom of it. Would the 2wd sport model have a differential? non 4x4

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
There should be some sort gear section but without a service manual its hard to tell. Those typically have a side fill and side drain plug never on the bottom. A dealer may be able to confirm and tell you what fluid is used in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts