My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My compass was having major road noise issues.....so i decided to have her looked at. i was told my bearings are fine and that the issue was my struts. my tires with less than 30,000 miles on them were feathering as well. so i had all four struts replaced and a wheel alignment done......$1100 later, the car feels better and the road noise is different and a bit quieter. the mechanic stated the tires need to wear back to even until the rest of the noise is gone.

anyone else have this issue?????

2008 Jeep compass Rallye
4x4
74,000 miles

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
what about that work to be done under warranty ???

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Looks like mileage wise, it's well out of factory warranty, but I'm with Ffl, was any part of this covered under an extended warranty? Glad to hear you got it fixed, but that's a chunk of change out of pocket.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
656 Posts
One would think that once it became known that the parts of the car don't seem to last more than 30K-Km, the maker would send out a technical bulletin and do a as needed upgrade no charge instead of merely relplacing worn struts with the same things that still will need be changed in another 30,000Km.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm almost 35K and haven't had an issue yet. Maybe me and Ironwood got friday compasses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
strut problem

There is a tech service bulletin on the front struts on compass. So i dont think you are going to be the only one with this problem. It will only effect the 07 to 09 compass. You are to replace the struts and the jounce bumper and dust shield. There is a new design that chrysler has made.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
There is a tech service bulletin on the front struts on compass. So i dont think you are going to be the only one with this problem. It will only effect the 07 to 09 compass. You are to replace the struts and the jounce bumper and dust shield. There is a new design that chrysler has made.
Do you have the TSB or link for that. Is it on an as needed bases or they going to upgrade all?

I am thinking I might be scared enough that I might get the extended warranty for mine.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Let's wait and see.............got a feeling that there is a lot of good folks in here waiting for this information.....

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I am sure. I started thread about extended warranty. I am going to look into costs. There are NON Chrysler warranties and some who are not dealer saying they are selling Chrysler warranties. But all that should be deferred to the other thread and not hear but may be worth considering for those with coverage still.

·
Registered
13 Posts
strut tsb

sorry it toke a while for me to get it. had a hard time getting from the automotive website that i use at my garage. hopes this helps.

POOR HANDLING AND/OR STRUT LEAKING AND/OR RIDES ROUGH
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 02-001-09, Date of Issue: August 08, 2009
CHRYSLER:2007-2009 (PM) Caliber; 2007-2009 (MK) Compass/Patriot
GROUP:Springs/Shocks

Related Ref Number(s): 02-001-09
ARTICLE BEGINNING
SUBJECT
Poor Handling and/or Strut Leaking and/or Rides Rough
OVERVIEW
This bulletin involves replacing the, jounce bumper and dust shield with a new design if front struts are replaced due to degraded performance.
NOTE:This Bulletin applies to vehicles built before April 23, 2009 (MDH 0423XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION
The front strut(s) leaking and/or the vehicle handles rough.
DISCUSSION
When replacing front struts due to degraded performance. The jounce bumper/dust shield must be replaced with the latest design. Perform the inspection/repair procedure to determine if jounce bumper/dust shield requires replacement
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
NPNCompressor, Strut Coil Spring

PARTS REQUIRED
PARTS INFORMATIONS
Qty.Part No.Description
205171132ACShield, Shock Absorber Dust
205171137ABBumper, Jounce
1 (AR)5105174AGStrut (SDF), Right Front Suspension
1 (AR)5105175AGStrut (SDF), Left Front Suspension
1 (AR)5272924ABStrut (SDC and AWL), Right Front Suspension
1 (AR)5272925ABStrut (SDC and AWL), Left Front Suspension
1 (AR)68051842AAStrut (SDC), Right Front Suspension
1 (AR)68051843AAStrut (SDC), Left Front Suspension
1 (AR)5105096AFStrut, Right SDE
1 (AR)5105097AFStrut, Left SDE
1 (AR)5105170AGStrut, Right SDC, SDA
1 (AR)5105171AGStrut, Left SDC, SDA
1 (AR)5105310AGStrut, Right SDF Engine Code: EBA, ECN and ED3
1 (AR)5105311AGStrut, Left SDF Engine Code: EBA, ECN and ED3
1 (AR)5105782ACStrut, Right SDF Engine Code: ECD, ECE
1 (AR)5105783ACStrut, Left SDF Engine Code: ECD, ECE
1 (AR)5181028AEStrut, Right SDX
1 (AR)5181029AEStrut, Left SD

REPAIR PROCEDURE
Is the jounce bumper and dust shield a one-piece black rubber part?
Yes: Proceed to Step #2.
No: This bulletin does not apply the latest part design has been implemented.
Remove both right and left front struts. Refer to the detailed removal procedures available in DealerCONNECT > TechCONNECT under: Service Info > 2- Front Suspension > STRUT, Suspension, Assembly > Removal.
NOTE:Even though one front strut needs replacement both jounce bumper/dust shields require replacement.

Disassemble the undamaged strut assembly. Refer to the detailed removal procedures available in DealerCONNECT > TechCONNECT under: Service Info > 2- Front Suspension > STRUT, Suspension, Assembly > Disassembly.
Remove the undamaged front strut assembly jounce bumper.
Install jounce bumper(s) p/n 05171137AB on the replacement and undamaged front strut assembly.
Install dust shield cover(s) p/n 05171132AC on both the strut assemblies.
Assemble the strut assemblies. Refer to the detailed removal procedures available in DealerCONNECT > TechCONNECT under: Service Info > 2- Front Suspension > STRUT, Suspension, Assembly > Assembly.
Install the strut assemblies. Refer to the detailed installation procedures available in DealerCONNECT > TechCONNECT under: Service Info > 2- Front Suspension > STRUT, Suspension, Assembly > Installation.
POLICY
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE
TIME ALLOWANCE
Labor Operation No:DescriptionAmount
02-05-33-92Remove/Replace Strut and Jounce Bumper Both Right and Left Sides (B)2.1 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE
FAILURE CODE
ZZService Action

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Buzz thank's for that info......this will surely come handy !!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
That is very good info, thanks for posting that! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anybody know if chrysler will then replace struts because there is a tech. bulletin out for this problem? My wife has an 07 compass sport, 65k miles, nothing but highway driving. Took to shop to get front tires replaced and the tech showed me where fluid had been leaking and the front struts were shot and needed to be replaced. I'm guessing this is not a recall and I will have to replace the struts on my dime. Does anybody know different? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Take it to a dealer and mention the TSB and see what they say when they verify that it they're shot. I say that the response would be different dealer to dealer. Don't give up trying a few anyway. Nothing to lose. My rear struts were shot and I got them replace already. So much for reliability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks tripplec for your reply. Looks like $1100.00 for front and rear struts and $600.00 for my third set of tires.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Oh no, you can call Chysler customer relations and complain about the early failure and high cost of replacement from the dealer. The may cover it all or part of it. Either way you're ahead on what you have now. Especially if the vehicle is not real far out of warranty. It happens or used to.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I will do just that. Tomorrow. Thanks and will let you know the results.
chrysler re imbursed me it took 2 months and they letter then sent pissed me off! very rude imo this would explain why my jeep feels like it's going to roll over< time to take another trip to the dealership

1 - 20 of 34 Posts