My Jeep Compass Forum banner

100% trouble free 2nd gen Compass

13K views 40 replies 35 participants last post by  Jasmine 
#1 ·
My salesman said none of his customers had any issue with their Compasses. Is this true? Is there anyone here not had some type of issue, electronics or otherwise with their 2nd generation Compass?

#3 ·
24,000 and no breakdowns or failures. It does use a lot of oil, however -- the most of any car I've owned (about 25 vehicles going back to my 1960 Ford). So as long as I've got a couple quarts to add between changes, no problems.

#15 ·
same here. knockl on wood.

when those with iproblems list off their issues- could you also include which model and package? I have the altitude which is really nothing more than a sport with some cosmetic changes. maybe alot of these issues are related to certain packages. (trailhawk, etc)

#9 ·
My Trailhawk 2017.5 has just over 45,000 miles. Within the first 12,000 miles I had to have the transmission replace (first time they just removed it and replaced some parts) than at 5000 miles it failed and it was replaced. Next at around 10,000 miles the front drive shafts and seals were replaced then the sway bar links. No issues with oil consumption.
It does not like below zero weather at all, the transfer case clunks and moans and the belt squeals like a wounded pig when you first start it.(done this since new)
So it having plenty of little annoyances it has been trouble free the past 33,000 miles. Would I buy another one? NO
But since FCA was so kind and to warranty the vehicle for as long as I own it I will keep driving it.
I will say though when equipped with snow tires,this vehicle will climb and go through some amazing tough terrain.

#11 ·
It does not like below zero weather at all, the transfer case clunks and moans and the belt squeals like a wounded pig when you first start it.(done this since new)
Yeah, mine squealed this morning for the first time -- probably cried for 30 seconds or so. It was only -4F and garaged, so in reality probably +10F. She started last week at -20F with no complaints. My guess is that because it was so warm on Thursday (+40F and rainy) that moisture got into places where it shouldn't have. After a long run on Friday she was parked on Saturday so today was the first start since Friday AM. Still, I'd think after a 200 mile run on Friday and moderate winter temps (+30ish) things should have dried out. I'll see how it starts tomorrow, but its not supposed to be so cold (+20ish F).

#10 ·
A salesperson's job is to tell you anything to get you to buy. There are professional salespeople who make a career out of it and know they will still be there if you have problems, so they are more likely to be honest. But most just do it for a while and move on to something else - they know they won't be around and there will be no record of whatever they told you.

#12 ·
I have found the new Jeep Compass to be the worst driving experience ever. The car is nothing more than a Fiat 500 disguised as a Jeep. The car was problem free until 10,000 miles. After, electrical problems, brake problems, transmission problems and the ride is harsh with many squeaks and rattles.

This car will be discontinued in a few years. Just like the Chrysler 200, Dart, Renegade and the soon to be put out to pasture Chrysler 300.

#17 ·
I am in AUS and have an April 2018 Compass Limited Diesel (hers) as well as a 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland V6 Diesel (mine).
The Compass is fully optioned (tech pack, panorama roof, 2 liter turbo diesel, tow pack) and just clocked 10,000 kms in 6 months with the only issue being an intermittent display problem with the reversing camera. This issue was finally traced to a connector on the wiring loom in the B-pillar not 'clicked' together properly during assembly.
Local AUS Jeep (FCA) support has been excellent and and local Jeep Dealership Service (Hunter Chrysler Jeep) has been perfect - they never gave up trying to fix what is really just one of those 'annoying' issues - still on 'friendly' terms with Service Manger and mechanics!
This Compass is my third Jeep and apart from the one issue mentioned all three Jeeps have had NO other issues.
The Compass Diesel engine is economical to run, has heaps of torque as well as 9 speed auto, the leather seats are comfortable and the ride is excellent - even compared to my JGC Overland with Quadralift air suspension!

I am a happy Jeep Customer and am looking forward to the next generation JGC which will be my Jeep #4!

#18 ·
Fairly new owner but nothing wrong here either.

However, how many people call their salesperson with a problem? It goes to service. Don't take their assurances that things are just good.

Over the past 5-10 years, the most unreliable parts have been the transmission and infotainment. Turbo powered engines are more complex and likely more expensive to fix. Turbos are more common to meet fuel economy targets but we have a traditional naturally aspired engine. Transmission wise the dual clutch automatics have had a bad reliability rating and thankfully not on the compass. The manual transmission is the way to go for reliability, but out of the automatics, my view is that the 6-speed 4x2 is a better transmission than the 9-speed 4x4. Either is way better than a CVT which is all too common on the competitors.

Infotainment wise, the uConnect systems have been used in other models for a while and a lot of the problems should be sorted. Not ideal reliability wise but much better than the system you can get in a Toyota or a Mazda.

The first model year always has teething issues. And by now the initial second gen compasses are all gone and the initial mechanical underpinnings of the 500X/Renegade are all tested.

I won't trust the salesperson on reliability. But a later build date and the avoidance of a dual clutch transmission and a turbocharger should deliver better reliability than the competition that equips their vehicles so.

#19 ·
Over 20,000 miles. The only issue so far is that it wouldn't start one day last fall. Had to disconnect the battery for a bit and then it started. Hasn't done it since, so the bug/issue may have been fixed in a software update. From the sounds of it I think having the manual transmission and 7" infotainment setup has been a more reliable setup than some. Overall my main complaint has been the beta software for entertainment/HVAC that seems to be improving with each update but was obviously not ready for primetime when originally released. Regardless, 1.5 years in and I still like the car.

The only absolutely trouble free car I've ever owned was my '03 mustang cobra.
The jeep goes through less gas and tires though.

#39 ·
The only absolutely trouble free car I've ever owned was my '03 mustang cobra.
The jeep goes through less gas and tires though.
Of about 25+/- vehicles I've had over the years I've only had a few that made it to 100,000 miles without something going wrong. The good ones were a 1993 Cutlass, a 1996 Bravada, a 2008 Patriot, and a 2014 Patriot.

My 2019 Compass is at 30,000 and so far no actual failures. The oil consumption is borderline problematic but hasn't crossed the line.

#21 ·
I've had my 2018 Compass for almost a year (on Feb. 24) and a little over 10K miles, but I've had no problems at all. smile:

Reactions: Jasmine
#22 ·
I've had no issues with mine, aside from a bluetooth quirk that has yet to rear it's head again. My brother works at the Dodge dealership near me, and I always ask him how often he sees a Compass come in for work. His answer is always Never...

Reactions: Jasmine
#27 ·
Chiming in again. Since my previous post my 2018 Compass was totalled (no injuries) and I bought a 2019 Compass, more because I like my dealer than because I liked anything about the Compass.

So far my oil consumption is minimal and I don't get the grinding noise I got in my 2018. So really its problem-free though after my 2018 experience I'll always keep an eye on my dipstick. "Once burned is twice shy."

All things considered, I don't hate my Compass but I doubt it will ever make it onto my list of favorites.